Who is the Hooded Man in Winterfell?

andrewside

What about Greatjon Umber?

I had not originally considered Northerners but think the kinslayer thing could be either having read other peoples evidence.

He has missing fingers (that grey wind bit off)

He likely has links to Lady Dustin

He likely has a serious wish to get revenge on the Freys and Roose Bolton

Possible that he has some stark blood ? (like the Karstarks, marriage to lesser sons etc way back) or was fostered at Winterfell and knows secret entrance?

When did he escape from the Twins?

And why does Theon not recognize him?

I don't think you've thought this through.

I have no idea because there are a lot of options but...I do feel this.

The place was loaded with people all over the place, and dogs, horses, you name it. Ramsey was also anticipating Stannis and more trouble because he took WF. So there were guards, sentries, again, people all over the place.

WF is very large and sprawling...also I am sure there are passageways not normally used, areas like the crypts that not everyone can just find.

And people were getting killed without anyone being the wiser and getting away with it until the dead person was found.

It has...has to be somone with a very good knowledge of the ins and outs of WF. One false move and someone would be asking a hooded figure who are they, and what is their business. And if the answer was not satifactory they would be seized even just to have Ramsey check it out. Look how hard it was for Theon to get out.

Plus who shows up without back up? This is no ordinary infiltrator. Ramsey does flay and skin people afterall and would good would it be if you are someone without subtlety, like Greatjon, for example and others. Honestly, Greatjon is so loud and boisterous I think he would be found out in 5 minutes flat. And just because you are a Northerner, does not mean you know all the ways around WF.

I don't think Blackfish or Davos either because they have no idea as to the layout of WF and would get caught easily too.

Just my opinion, could be wrong.

Not sure I like the idea, but I think Benjen would know every nook and cranny of that place, and Howland is not er, like everybody else and he might have stealth and his powers on his side.

I have no idea because there are a lot of options but...I do feel this.

The place was loaded with people all over the place, and dogs, horses, you name it. Ramsey was also anticipating Stannis and more trouble because he took WF. So there were guards, sentries, again, people all over the place.

WF is very large and sprawling...also I am sure there are passageways not normally used, areas like the crypts that not everyone can just find.

And people were getting killed without anyone being the wiser and getting away with it until the dead person was found.

It has...has to be somone with a very good knowledge of the ins and outs of WF. One false move and someone would be asking a hooded figure who are they, and what is their business. And if the answer was not satifactory they would be seized even just to have Ramsey check it out. Look how hard it was for Theon to get out.

Plus who shows up without back up? This is no ordinary infiltrator. Ramsey does flay and skin people afterall and would good would it be if you are someone without subtlety, like Greatjon, for example and others. Honestly, Greatjon is so loud and boisterous I think he would be found out in 5 minutes flat. And just because you are a Northerner, does not mean you know all the ways around WF.

I don't think Blackfish or Davos either because they have no idea as to the layout of WF and would get caught easily too.

Just my opinion, could be wrong.

Not sure I like the idea, but I think Benjen would know every nook and cranny of that place, and Howland is not er, like everybody else and he might have stealth and his powers on his side.

Part of my crackpot theory is that there are tunnels in the lower levels of the crypt. Perhaps it is too much to ask that they go all the way to the tunnels beneath the Wall, but he could have gotten out of the North with the Wall tunnels and knew the entrance for the WInterfell tunnels. Too many tunnels known for Winterfell not to have any especially with a deep unvisited level of the crypts just begging to be a tunnel entrance.

And why does Theon not recognize him?

I think Theon does recognise who it is, but they are not as they were, which is why he is "oddly not afraid"

But the escape part i cannot explain.

which brings me back to thinking its Jaime sent on a suicide mission by UnCat. although i still cannot figure if the timeline allows that.

I still say its Howland :P Is it said anywhere if he's been to Winterfell before? I seem to remember something being said about him when the Reed kids show up at Winterfell, as in he hasn't left his lands in awhile or hadn't visited Ned in such an amount of time....? Could be mistaken, ex gf has my books and haven't gotten new ones yet :P

Has anyone thought that this could be the re-animated Cat Stark?

I know "Hooded MAN" kind of suggests its a man but remember this is screwed up Theons mind we're talking about here - very easy to mistake a zombie looking mad woman for a man.

I think that the state the body was found in suggests its someone very vicious so in my mind rules out Howland Reed (I assume he's a stand up guy).

Although i think if it was the UnCat then she'd not hesitate to rip Theons throat out, fry his liver and drink his cold blood like a refreshing glass of Chianti in a second. Mmmm justice-y

which brings me back to thinking its Jaime sent on a suicide mission by UnCat. although i still cannot figure if the timeline allows that.

I like this, the thought of Jaime Lannister getting some murder on up North for the BwB is pretty cool. I do share your timeline concerns though, pretty sure it's not possible.

Benjen wouldn't betray the NightsWatch, and how could he get south of the wall without anyone noticing? (Unless he decided to climb the wall)

Blackfish, well i think he couldn't reach Winterfell so fast, and what does he have to do in a destroyed castle that is now held by Boltons?

Howland Reed, his kids were in Winterfell, he had every reason to go there. Could be him.

Am I the only one who considers that it could Harwin? He knows the north, he can travel there easily and pass as a Northerner. He also knew Theon back when he was at Winterfell, and he most likely heard he was dead, after killing Bran and Rickon. It would also make sense that he would have been sent north, to verify if it truly was Arya for the BWB, and help her if it was. He could also have been sent before or after having seen Brienne down in the Riverlands, since by that point it has already been a few weeks since Jaime disappeared (I think), and it would have taken some time for Brienne to reach Jaime anyways. Should have been enough time for an experienced rider like Harwin to reach the north. Having lived his whole life in Winterfell, he would also be aware of either good hiding places, or ways to enter the castle.

Am I the only one who considers that it could Harwin?

Logically I think Harwin is the most likely candidate after Theon Durden.

To be able to walk around Winterfell as if you belong it would make sense the hooded man is A) a Northerner himself. B) Is originally from, or has spent time at Winterfell.

Also as you point out Harwin could be acting on behalf of the BwB to identify and help Arya, or could possibly just be acting as a rogue Stark loyalist.

That idea of yours I see too, Thinishter Goat, and I never thought of that.

My thing as posted above was that somebody really has to know their way, the ins and outs, of WF to be able to successfully pull off this attack and hide stuff. But I never thought about this too.

Yeah, the style, gruesomeness of the killings, doesn't seem like a Reed thing. Maybe my view is too colored by the calmn style of his kids and I am just attributing it to Howland too?

It might sound ridiculous for someone we hardly know anything about, but why do I have a gut feeling/hunch too, like you said, that this wouldn't be Howland Reed's style?

It might sound ridiculous for someone we hardly know anything about, but why do I have a gut feeling/hunch too, like you said, that this wouldn't be Howland Reed's style?

Because of the tale that Meera told Bran in which the KotLT only asks for the masters/liege lords to teach their knights honor. It implies that Howland Reed is as honorable as Ned and those killings would not be his style.

Has anyone thought that this could be the re-animated Cat Stark?

I know "Hooded MAN" kind of suggests its a man but remember this is screwed up Theons mind we're talking about here - very easy to mistake a zombie looking mad woman for a man.

I think that the state the body was found in suggests its someone very vicious so in my mind rules out Howland Reed (I assume he's a stand up guy).

Although i think if it was the UnCat then she'd not hesitate to rip Theons throat out, fry his liver and drink his cold blood like a refreshing glass of Chianti in a second. Mmmm justice-y

Cat has to press her hand to her throat simply to be able to make sounds that can be interpreted as uttering words. No way she could have spoken to Theon like that.

Howland Reed honestly to me makes more sense than any other option - Theon doesn't know him, but he knows pretty much everyone else who's been proposed as an option. The only real conclusive evidence we have against it is that Howland Reed is short and Theon never makes note of the HMs size...maybe the hood/cloak is big and makes him look taller? Could just be wishful thinking on my part. Plus that's so typical GRRM - introduce/reintroduce a big character by having him appear incognito (Whitebeard-Barristan in ACoK)

The Hooded man wasn't going around in fear of being recognised. He neither tried to avoid a face-to-face encounter with the figure coming from the direction of the Great Hall nor was prepared to stab the other person immediately upon being recognised (he didn't put his hand to his dagger until after recognising Theon and expressing an interest in killing him for his crimes). That's part of the reason I think this individual was somebody supposed to be in Winterfell but for those convinced he was a secret conspirator it should at least rule out the more prominent northern lords.

Archived