Who is the Hooded Man in Winterfell?

andrewside

Okay I know earlier in this thread I proposed Harwin as the most likely candidate and I am Still around 90% sure this is the case. However I have a crackpot theory that goes as follows:

Theon Durdan + Warg

Theon is being Warged by Bran at certain times (this may account for the "missing" time the character experiences). We know that Bran despised the Frey wards because they mocked Hodor and his own disability so Bran using Theon to kill one makes sense.

As for the Hooded man I propose that either he is a third party who followed Theon with the intention of Murdering him only to see him kill the Frey boy hence why the Hooded Man spared him, Could also explain the wry amusement the hooded man seemed to have.

Or the hooded man is a visual hallucination of a split personality in Theon.

I dont think Bran is a strong enough warg to warg Theon. And I really dont think Bran would kill anyone. He didnt like the Walders but he has no reason to kill them.

Has the Liddle been mentioned? I think he could be the Hooded Man.

Yep, he has.

Another contender is The Liddle that Bran meets when heading north.He makes a reference to ghosts in Winterfell and he has time to install himself in WF after Ramsay burns it down and leaves for the Dreadfort.

The Liddle that helped Bran and co on their way to the Wall? :dunno: He really seems to know much and more in both instances (in talking with both Bran and Theon) so maybe he's being used by the 3EC for some purpose? When he helped Bran with food he also gave them vital news which, IIRC, helped convince Bran to stay off the King's Road which was an issue he had with Jojen... would Bran decide otherwise if he didn't turn up?

As for his purpose in Winterfell - creating chaos? :devil:

Hooded man is Howland Reed. I think that Ned has told Robb some background in regards to Jon and Robb is sending his Will to Howland Reed to have it validated. Also, I think the hooded man in WF is Reed and he needs Jon to come south so he sent the Pink Letter. I know this is a crackpot theory but since Reed is so mysterious it could be plausible.

My secret wish is for it to be Howland. That would be one hell of an intro/entrance into the series.

The most covert and secretive character enters in a secretive and covert way.

Also,nobody has seen this dude in 17 years. Hence it would make sense that he could roam the place and carry out his plans. So, one would think that the man would not need to be hooded because nobody might recognize him or know him. He was Ned's wingman and not too many people seem to personally be boys with crannogs around there. Yet, I would think from how Meera and Jojen are described and how Little Walder in his opinion, talks about how crannogs are distinct and you can tell what they look like and how they are like, but how much is true or exaggerated ramblings from that brat, who knows?

If it is Howland he might be hooded, with a long cloak to cover maybe some incriminating evidence. I mean I think Howland is top crannog. They would know exactly which crannog it is.

Really, there are some dolts at Winterfell right now, but why would one sole crannogman come to Winterfell? If anyone noticed, I think they would know it had to be Howland, and Bran was with his kids, the last time he was seen at Winterfell.

But it might be ok to be hooded, where it might be possible that eyes or parts of a face are visible beneath the hood because it has been so many damn years since the guy has left Greywater Watch, that nobody would be able to know who it is: Howland. And so he had gone about his business fairly undisturbed for now. Blending in and keeping a low profile. And we saw how skilled his kids are with that too.

So he might just be hiding in plain sight. I mean, he can't exactly go around like Quaithe in a lacquered mask that would draw attention, but he has to blend in yet conceal his identity somehow.

How about Davos Seaworth ?

He was with Manderly in White Port, then Manderly went to Winterfell. He might be the one behind all the killings, causing discord among them to help Stannis in the coming battle. They even leave Winterfell and give Stannis combat in open field instead of defending behind walls ''before we all kill each other''.

Although i believe it was Bran warging around. He warged Hodor, could've warged Theon, he was so broken he probably wouldn't noticed. There was a Bolton or Frey who died because of a horse attack.

How about Davos Seaworth ?

He was with Manderly in White Port, then Manderly went to Winterfell. He might be the one behind all the killings, causing discord among them to help Stannis in the coming battle. They even leave Winterfell and give Stannis combat in open field instead of defending behind walls ''before we all kill each other''.

Although i believe it was Bran warging around. He warged Hodor, could've warged Theon, he was so broken he probably wouldn't noticed. There was a Bolton or Frey who died because of a horse attack.

I strongly doubt that it could be Davos. It's been a while since I've read the passage, but doesn't the HM make a chuckle at seeing Theon's hand, saying something like "I'll leave you to the bastard then"? (Paraphrasing there, obviously.) To me, that sounds nothing like how Davos would have acted. And I don't think that Davos has ever seen Theon in person before.

He makes Theon act really out of character. George constantly tells us how Theon is scared/nervous of people seeing his missing fingers but when the hooded man asks him "why is he still alive?" Theon just pulls the glove from his hand without a second thought. This make me think that it is someone Theon knows and has known for a long time.

Yea didn't read the conversation with the Hooded Man. But Theon only thinks this guy could be the killer. There were others in the party that says hes a turncoat or know what he did.

There are other people who say that they don't have any love for the Freys/Boltons. Umber, Hornwood, Cerwyn, etc.

There is another clue tough. When Big Walder is killed, someone said he went alone in a tower to pay silver to someone he lost gambling. He didn't said the name, but he knew Big Walder learned with someone from White Port.

I strongly doubt that it could be Davos. It's been a while since I've read the passage, but doesn't the HM make a chuckle at seeing Theon's hand, saying something like "I'll leave you to the bastard then"? (Paraphrasing there, obviously.) To me, that sounds nothing like how Davos would have acted. And I don't think that Davos has ever seen Theon in person before.

Fender I have to say as a practicing Pastafarian I love your profile pic. Hope you don't mind if I post this link for others: http://www.venganza.org/

As for the hooded man... he clearly calls Theon "kinslayer". I believe that this disqualifies the Liddle because he knows that Bran is not dead. It also disqualifies Theon himself and probably people who are "in the know" from White Harbor (anyone who has talked with Wex).

Fender I have to say as a practicing Pastafarian I love your profile pic. Hope you don't mind if I post this link for others: http://www.venganza.org/

As for the hooded man... he clearly calls Theon "kinslayer". I believe that this disqualifies the Liddle because he knows that Bran is not dead. It also disqualifies Theon himself and probably people who are "in the know" from White Harbor (anyone who has talked with Wex).

Theon also betrayed the Iron born at Moat Cailin, it could be in reference to that.

:)

Heh, thank you, but slightly off-topic there.

[....]

There is another clue tough. When Big Walder is killed, someone said he went alone in a tower to pay silver to someone he lost gambling. He didn't said the name, but he knew Big Walder learned with someone from White Port.

There is a strong likelihood that Little Walder was killed by Big Walder, and that BW is just trying to blame some White Harbour man for the murder in order to stirr up trouble. So the Hooded Man (whoever that is) most likely played no part in this, nor did the spearwiwes (atleast they say they were innocent to Theon)..This of course doesnt help in trying to identify the HM, just that this was probably a separete incident.

Davos was my first guess actually. But now I'm not so sure. I don't think he's the killer, though.

Ok, in detail.

- Davos has the task of finding Rickon. I assume Davos has the contacts to ask around the sailors who has seen a wildling woman, a child and a direwolf without creating a fuzz and getting answers fast. So he could retrieve Rickon quivker than we think.

- since Manderly gave him the task, he has to report to him, but Manderly is in Winterfell now. He probably learned that Stannis is marching for Winterfell so it's two birds with one stone

- if Davos rettieved Rickon, Osha is with him as well. She could probably get him into Winterfell unnoticed

- after Theon meets the Hooded Man, Manderly leftthe hall for a dump, IIRC. Like he did in White Harbor when meeting with Davos.

- when Davos wants to kill Melisandre, he carries a dagger. Obviously a preferred weapon. Also, the reaction of the Hooded Man to reach for the dagger fits a former smuggler.

- Davos has mutilated fingers.

- the kinslayer line could be a provocation since Davos knows Theon didn't kill Rickon. False is all you were could refer to the Theon Kinslayer title

- finally, OOU, we need a POV in Winterfell. Davos would be a perfect observer who isn't clued in on everything so he wouldn't spill all of GRRMs beans.

Archived