Who is the Hooded Man in Winterfell?

andrewside

- the kinslayer line could be a provocation since Davos knows Theon didn't kill Rickon. False is all you were could refer to the Theon Kinslayer title

Davos is one of the more honest and honorable characters in ASoIaF. I don't think he would provoke Theon for no reason. What do you think his motivation would be?

IMHO, After hearing from Wex about the truth of what happened and then seeing Theon alive and broken / disfigured I think it would be more in-character for Davos to pity him rather than provoke him.

Not sure who the hooded man is but I think not Theon, Davos, the Liddle or anyone from White Harbor.

Heh, thank you, but slightly off-topic there.

Yes I know it is off-topic (sorry everyone!). Wasn't sure how to bring up my appreciation for your pic. If anyone can point me to the right place for such on these forums I would appreciate it!

Yes I know it is off-topic (sorry everyone!). Wasn't sure how to bring up my appreciation for your pic. If anyone can point me to the right place for such on these forums I would appreciate it!

Top right corner of the screen, on the left side of where your username is written, there is an icon in the shape of a letter. You can use this to send a PM to someone. Or you can just go on the person's profile, and there should be an option for that somewhere. Or, if you'd like to share the glory of the FSM with the whole forum, there's a section for everything unrelated to ASoIaF, called "General Chatter". (The one we are currently in, "General", is in the "A Song of Ice and Fire: The Novels" section. "General Chatter" is in the "Miscellaneous" section.) Hopefully that answered your question, and welcome to the forum.

May be Harwin did arrive in Winterfell with the help of Howland Reed and hid in the crypts after laying Ned's bones to rest?

And then when Lady D and Theon go to the crypts he hides in the shadows and listens to their conversation and decides to go on a mad revenge at Northeren Conspirators?

For the sake of crackpot-the hooded man could be Ned himself-if he really was freed by Varys(that little eunuch always seemed fond of Ned-or at least understood his situation) may be Varys felt bad for him and released him, made him promise to hide, and we know how Ned is fond of promises. Since he promised not to go to the aid of his son, he went to Winterfell, found it in ruins and stayed there. However, upon hearing the way some of his own people talk about him, especially since Lady D seems to have a very good insight into how things are at that moment in Winterfell, he says 'screw the honor' and becomes the ghost of Winterfell.

I know you said crackpot, but i have to ask....what? Is there evidence anywhere that Ned is still alive? I know GRRM is all about bringing people back from the dead (stupid UnCat) but I think it's pretty clear that Ned is no more. I guess you could say Ghost Ned if you believe that Hallis Mollen made it back with Ned's bones, but GRRM has delved into the supernatural without having ghosts thus far. UnCat/Beric/Robert Strong(?) are all more zombie than ghost.

In a general comment, I'm really interested to see where all of these "missing" characters turn up. Howland Reed is killing me.

I agree with the previous comments that it can't be Jaime, UnCat, or Benjen, for most of the same reasons, but mainly - in the case of motivations. Assuming Benjen is Coldhands (which I'm guessing we do) it seems like he has other things to do than be sneaking around Winterfell killing people, even if it does sow discord. UnCat is...well....UnCat, and we honestly have no real idea what her motivations are, but I'm going to throw out the fact that as obsessive as she was about her children in life, that's probably where her zombie brain is going. I don't think Jaime fits at all. The way the HM talks as well as the timeline doesnt fit Jaime at all. The HM doesnt have his swagger.

Could be Quaithe.She appears to Dany dressed in a hooded cloak in ADWD.

Then she admits she's not really there.Giveaway clue really.

Then Dany spots she's wearing a mask,coz she's really a bloke.Well,Dany doesn't make the bloke connection,but we can't blame her for that,she is young and unwise in the ways of,erm,anything.

But that Quaithe's a tricksy bird/man,and no mistake.

i die. This is hilarious.

@ Harimad there is no real consenus on the board as to the Identity of Coldhands, from what I've seen discussed on other threads as many people seem to think that Coldhands is not Benjen as think that he is.

Thanks! I have seen it both ways and haven't been on the forum in a while, so I wasn't sure what the prevailing opinion is. Such a struggle with the whole "Do not assume anyone is dead unless you've seen the body...and even then they may not REALLY be dead."

Thanks! I have seen it both ways and haven't been on the forum in a while, so I wasn't sure what the prevailing opinion is. Such a struggle with the whole "Do not assume anyone is dead unless you've seen the body...and even then they may not REALLY be dead."

No problem. Although I am half expecting some one to swoop in with links to ten different threads that prove why my above statement is 100% incorrect lol.

The chances of Benjen being Coldhands took a big hit when Dance came out.

Bran shivered again. “The ranger …”

“He cannot come.”

“They’ll kill him.”

“No. They killed him long ago.

Always open to interpretation of course but it's hard to think of someone that talks of wandering the earth for two hundred years considering anything in the last couple of years as 'long ago'.

“He cannot come.”

“They’ll kill him.”

Always open to interpretation of course but it's hard to think of someone that talks of wandering the earth for two hundred years considering anything in the last couple of years as 'long ago'.

Oh wow, thank you. I definitely didn't catch that on the first read and I haven't done a re-read of Dance yet. I kind of thought Benjen being Coldhands was too easy an answer, but then I fell into the trap! Damn you, ASOIAF forum. One more character to add to the "Missing" list. Maybe Benjen, the Blackfish, and Howland are all just having a party somewhere and waiting for things to blow over. Totally logical.

“He cannot come.”

“They’ll kill him.”

But what if she's phrasing it so that a human or even a nine-year old could understand? A-HAAA!!!

Robett Glover is a conservative but reasonable option.

But HM = Part of Theon's personality is just too damn awesome to set aside...

I actually honestly thought that that whole "Theon Durden" thing was utterly lame. I still cannot, for the life of me, understand why so many people support it.

Well after plowing through the first 195 posts I am now just plain out confused! I thought on my first read of the HM incident that it was Bran warging Theon to commit the murders. Now I have thrown any of my own hasty impressions out the window and have been shifting from camp to camp - sometimes Harlan, sometimes Mance, sometimes Davos ( I liked the last pitch for Davos made by alienarea a few posts back #178)

You are all so good with the for and against and whatever the truth is GRRM will have to out fox you all or not at all!

I never thought it was benjen though.

And what if it is all just another red herring...maybe the previous murders were just the work of the spearwives and Big Walder and the HM just a northman on his way about his business not expecting to be accosted by Theon. Theon could have known him as part of the household as it existed at that time.

Whatever and whoever - one thing is known - the 3EC has a hand in a lot of mischief and is teaching Bran...

How about Davos Seaworth ?

He was with Manderly in White Port, then Manderly went to Winterfell. He might be the one behind all the killings, causing discord among them to help Stannis in the coming battle. They even leave Winterfell and give Stannis combat in open field instead of defending behind walls ''before we all kill each other''.

There was much discussion about Davos on another thread(the great Northern Conspircy). The adjusted timeline could even work. There are some things that could point to him, some of the biggest reasons to rule him out is that he is not from the north, has no reason to have hate Theon, and it is unlikely for him to go and get Rickon, and then leave him somewhere else.

@ Harimad there is no real consenus on the board as to the Identity of Coldhands, from what I've seen discussed on other threads as many people seem to think that Coldhands is not Benjen as think that he is.

There is a consenus on the boards that it isn't Benjen. There are many that feel it is a Brandon Stark, and quite a few people think its Brandon Stark the Night King.

After re-reading the chapter I think its Theon. Not all the murders but just the Yellow Dick one. His dick being cut off and shoved through his teeth seems personal and more savage than the earlier murders. You could argue that Theon is too weak to do it but I think he could've.

After re-reading the chapter I think its Theon. Not all the murders but just the Yellow Dick one. His dick being cut off and shoved through his teeth seems personal and more savage than the earlier murders. You could argue that Theon is too weak to do it but I think he could've.

That murder sounded like one of the spearwifes to me...or at least someone did if for one of them.

Archived