Who is the Hooded Man in Winterfell?

andrewside

Wait, are we now reinvestigating the murders? The only unsolved one is Little Walder's, so IF the HM has killed anyone, that could only be Little Walder.

Isn't Big Walder also a possible suspect?

The murdered body of Little Walder is discovered in Winterfell. Hosteen Frey transports the corpse to the Great Hall. Big Walder follows Hosteen into the Hall. Theon notes that the chest, arms, and cloak of Big Walder are spattered with blood. His gloves are covered with blood. While the corpse of Little Walder and its blood are frozen.

That murder sounded like one of the spearwifes to me...or at least someone did if for one of them.

The first 3 bodies were set up to look like accidents. The first looked like he fell, the second was naked and froze to death, and the third looked like he was kicked in the head by a horse(though Theon thinks it looks more like a mace wound). The fact that YD is killed in a more brutal fashion leads me to think that threre was a change in motive.

Isn't Big Walder also a possible suspect?

Of course there is, that's why I put a capital IF.

The first 3 bodies were set up to look like accidents. The first looked like he fell, the second was naked and froze to death, and the third looked like he was kicked in the head by a horse(though Theon thinks it looks more like a mace wound). The fact that YD is killed in a more brutal fashion leads me to think that threre was a change in motive.

The motive - yes, but it was still the spearwives. They confessed to every one of the murders, except for explicitly little Walder's, when they insisted it wasn't them. I don't think we need something else here.

The motive - yes, but it was still the spearwives. They confessed to every one of the murders, except for explicitly little Walder's, when they insisted it wasn't them. I don't think we need something else here.

Did they ever go into detail about their murders? They said LW "wasn't one of theirs" if I recall correctly, all that really says is that they killed at least one person.

Ramsay and Roose were arguing when when Little Walder's death became known. I assumed one of them did it to turn Manderly and Frey against each other and get them out of the castle.

The other murders were Mance and the Spearwives I thought.

Anyone know who took the swords from the crypts?

Didn't Bran, Osha, and co take some swords for protection? Bran thinks about how removing the swords disturbs the spirits of the dead, but they need the swords and he hopes they stay peaceful.

Osha took Ned's sword, Meera took Rickards, Bran took Brandons and Hodor took one of the really old swords. Four in all.

From TWOW sample chapter,

He told her how he bedded down with Ramsay's bitches, warned her that Winterfell was full of ghosts. "The swords were gone. Four, I think, or five. I don't recall. The stone kings are angry." Personally I think that's just Theon being Theon but people like to make a big deal out of that possible fifth sword.

I'm not sure who the hooded man is, but I think it is someone who knows/knew Theon. Maybe it's one of the Umbers, Crowfood or Whorebane.

On the matter of the swords missing from the crypts, I agree with this post: -

Didn't Bran, Osha, and co take some swords for protection? Bran thinks about how removing the swords disturbs the spirits of the dead, but they need the swords and he hopes they stay peaceful.

The effect of the killings was to feed mistrust and suspicion amongst the residents of the castle so if we assume that was the motive then the change in method for the killing of Yellow Dick makes perfect sense. One death can be chalked up to an accident, two accidents occuring close together is suspicions. After the third death everybody was huddled in corners convinced there was a killer at work, changing the MO to a more explicit method then merely served to heighten the tension

Another thing to consider is that the HM, whoever he is, chose to kill Little Walder instead of any other Frey or Frey man-at-arms. I'm inclined to believe that whoever killed him knew that LW was a terrible kid and would have ended up being Ramsay 2. That supports the Theon Durdin theory but I'm still not sure.

Why would you even make the association between the HM and Little Walders death? Winterfell is full of thousands of people, they are garrisoned all over the castle. Between keeping the watches on the walls, tending animals and heading between billets, latrines and the great hall (where the warmth and food is) that means hundreds of men wandering around over the course of even a cold and stormy night. Theon was suspicious because he had no duties to call him outside and his chambers were in the central keep yet he was still seen voluntarily wandering in the freezing cold but you can't assume that just because one other man was seen outside that he was a murderer when he could have had some legitimate reason to be out there.

While I don't discredit what Buried Treasure said, by any means, IMO the reason for this murder looking the way it did is really simple. YD tried to rape one of the spearwifes. It is likley that he was being lead to his death(to make it looks like an accident) but he tried to force himself and his murder was more reaction then the way it was planned to be.

While I don't discredit what Buried Treasure said, by any means, IMO the reason for this murder looking the way it did is really simple. YD tried to rape one of the spearwifes. It is likley that he was being lead to his death(to make it looks like an accident) but he tried to force himself and his murder was more reaction then the way it was planned to be.

Well there's a theory I can easily get behind.

I know that it has been said that Theon was too young to have fathered the miller's children or one of them, but if he did, that would make sense of the "kinslayer" accusation... and not even Theon would know that he had a child, so this cloaked man, if this fits at all, would have to be some "supernatural" creature, or ghost to know something like that... and who do we know that knows and sees everything with a thousand eyes and one?

HM = The Miller??

I randomly fell on this thread by our dear friend Apple Martini:

The reason I'm mentioning this, is that it is now apparently canon that Sybell did give moon tea to Jeyne, which would indicate that she was never pregnant to begin with, which greatly reduces the chances that Brynden Tully would have taken the trouble of taking her with him when he escaped Riverrun, and which would also indicate that the girl leaving Riverrun with her mother was indeed Jeyne and not her sister.

This means that Brynden now has complete freedom, not having to take care of a pregnant woman in the middle of the ravaged Riverlands or the North, and that he could freely travel north if he wished. I am still of a mind that HM is Harwyn, but still, this does reinforce the possibility that it might also be the Blackfish. (Although I don't see why he would ever wish to travel north, having never been there before, afaik. Unless Winterfell was just a pit stop before he traveled further north, to the Wall, if he was aware of the contents of Rob's will. I need to go back and fact check to see when that thing was written. (Oh, and it's now also canon that Robb declared his heir was a legitimized Jon Snow.))

My final(ish) verdict on the Hooded Man:

1. It's Theon's own split personality.

and/or

2. We're not ever going to know exactly who it is.

One of those, or both. I don't think we're ever going going to have someone stand up, Perry Mason-style, and say, "I was the Hooded Man in Winterfell!"

My final(ish) verdict on the Hooded Man:

1. It's Theon's own split personality.

and/or

2. We're not ever going to know exactly who it is.

One of those, or both. I don't think we're ever going going to have someone stand up, Perry Mason-style, and say, "I was the Hooded Man in Winterfell!"

To address that, if we randomly learn that the Brotherhood had "eyes" in Winterfell, or that Gallbart Glover or the Blackfish randomly reappears somewhere in the north, we'll have a pretty strong indication that it was him.

To address that, if we randomly learn that the Brotherhood had "eyes" in Winterfell, or that Gallbart Glover or the Blackfish randomly reappears somewhere in the north, we'll have a pretty strong indication that it was him.

I think that Theon would have recognized both Galbart and the Blackfish, but I suppose I get your point. Nonetheless, I'd be surprised at this point if it were ever actually confirmed, even obtusely.

With every new read of those chapters, it becomes more and more my opinion that the hooded man is simply Theon. Readers who remain unconvinced should look for those strange little gaps of time during Theon's POV when he's at Winterfell.

I don't think it's Theon, Little ( or Big ) Walder's death says he was going to pay silver to someone he lost gambling and he learned to play from someone of White Harbor. Can't be Theon or he got warged by Bran. We even see him whispering to Theon one time.

I think there actually might be several assassins acting together. The Umber, Mormont, Hornwood, etc even says ''the North remembers'' at one point. And all of them actually hate the Boltons/Freys, who are the only ones getting killed.

They could have just used Manderly as a scapegoat, knowing they wouldn't kill him. In the end they forced Roose Bolton to go to the field to face Stannis. In the middle of the battle would be the perfect time to turn on them and side with Stannis, who already have the Liddle, Flint, and much more northerns.

Seems unlikely that the Umber, Mormont, etc would spill the blood of their fellow northern kin in the name of traitors like Bolton/Frey. Besides, in the confusion of the battle, if they capture Roose or other important Freys, they have hostages of their own to exchange/guarantee the safety of their own in the Dreadfort/Twins.

The effect of the killings was to feed mistrust and suspicion amongst the residents of the castle so if we assume that was the motive then the change in method for the killing of Yellow Dick makes perfect sense. One death can be chalked up to an accident, two accidents occuring close together is suspicions. After the third death everybody was huddled in corners convinced there was a killer at work, changing the MO to a more explicit method then merely served to heighten the tension

Why would you even make the association between the HM and Little Walders death? Winterfell is full of thousands of people, they are garrisoned all over the castle. Between keeping the watches on the walls, tending animals and heading between billets, latrines and the great hall (where the warmth and food is) that means hundreds of men wandering around over the course of even a cold and stormy night. Theon was suspicious because he had no duties to call him outside and his chambers were in the central keep yet he was still seen voluntarily wandering in the freezing cold but you can't assume that just because one other man was seen outside that he was a murderer when he could have had some legitimate reason to be out there.

So they killed 3 men in a stealthy fashion then they suddenly changed that for the sake of drama? Doubtul. Though Black Wolf makes a good point about the rape. The body was found buried up to its neck in snowanyway, it probably wasn't even meant to be found.

A hooded man quick to reach for his knife in the middle of the night? Sounds suspicious to me and Theon thinks hes the killer on top of that. And LW is the only person to die after Theon sees the guy, and I have to assume he saw him for some reason. Though it may have been BW who killed LW, we can only really guess at this point.

Archived