Worst Line in the Series?

Winter's Knight

Three Oberyns, with teats.” (ADwD)

Is it supposed to be a sally? If so, it's awfully cheap. In its own chapter contest, it just screeches, and it makes a demeaning mockery at the same time of Doran, Arianne, Oberyn and the Sand Snakes – which I passionately love, every single one of them.

As for sex scenes, whenever I read “Jaime Jaime Jaime” (ASoS) I can't help adding King Robert's bellowing voice roaring “Shut up, woman!” - kind of distracting; and when you think that Cersei/Jaime should be the uttermost peak of sex perfection...

In general, if I had a dragon, I would burn the dictionary page with "wet"

That's the sentence. Reads like your stereotypical bad romance novel.

Sometimes I think people are being a bit hard on GRRM. Give me a quote from a "good" romance novel and lets see how it compares.

Sure "fat pink mast" is dumb as hell, but I think it's virtually impossible to artistically describe the graphic, physical aspects of sex without sounding a bit ridiculous, especially when you wade into swampy simile/metaphor territory.

Yet I think the chapter about Jon and Ygritte and the cave was extremely well written and actually sounded like something a competent romance novelist would write.

I also liked the Arys Oakheart + Arianne Martell scene; I found it very sexy

'They're MYYYYY dragons!' repeated over and over again sometimes with the word 'children' inserted instead of 'dragons'.

Any references to nipples, swamps, members (other than Tormund's) and the like.

And of course the number one irritating line has to be 'My Giant of Lannister!' :stillsick:

And of course the number one irritating line has to be 'My Giant of Lannister!' :stillsick:

I loved that line. The name is stupid and corny, but that's the point. It's a very cute, affectionate--very private name that Shae calls him only when they're alone. Many of us have silly pet names for our lovers.

This is precisely what makes it so brutal, so unnecessary, so horrible when Shae broadcasts to the entire court the stupid name he had "forced" her to call him. One of the worst, most heartbreaking betrayals in the entire series.

"When she woke the next morning, she was blind."

And this was the last line of Arya's last chapter in the book. People actually had to wait five and a half years to get the resolution of this most tense of cliffhangers.

I loved that line. The name is stupid and corny, but that's the point. It's a very cute, affectionate--very private name that Shae calls him only when they're alone. Many of us have silly pet names for our lovers.

This is precisely what makes it so brutal, so unnecessary, so horrible when Shae broadcasts to the entire court the stupid name he had "forced" her to call him. One of the worst, most heartbreaking betrayals in the entire series.

I think we'll agree to disagree on the pet name, the betrayal was terrible, I concur.

On the subject of Shae, though, I was re-watching the tv show the other day and was shocked to see how much more likeable (and intelligent) they made her character. It will make the betrayal completely unprecedented unless someone (Tywin) makes an incredibly well-placed threat... I'm still waiting to see how that one will pan out. In the books I just thought Tyrion had got carried away with a whore (as he was wont to do) and someone (Tywin) simply paid the woman a higher price.

Ok that was off topic, sorry, back to the discussion, don't mind me :P

I think we'll agree to disagree on the pet name, the betrayal was terrible, I concur.

On the subject of Shae, though, I was re-watching the tv show the other day and was shocked to see how much more likeable (and intelligent) they made her character. It will make the betrayal completely unprecedented unless someone (Tywin) makes an incredibly well-placed threat... I'm still waiting to see how that one will pan out. In the books I just thought Tyrion had got carried away with a whore (as he was wont to do) and someone (Tywin) simply paid the woman a higher price.

Ok that was off topic, sorry, back to the discussion, don't mind me :P

I totally agree that Shae's betrayal will be even more shocking and upsetting since Shae is a more authentic character in the show. Some have conjectured that she won't betray him at all-that they'll just write that scene out of the show or change it to someone else, but that would just be criminal on the writers' part.

I have to chime in with "where do whores go?". itza makin me nutz :bang: :bang: :bang:

I don't think it was a bad line when Tywin said it. But I guess bad lines are like bad songs, and there are 2 types of bad songs: songs that are bad at first listen and remain bad, and songs that are catchy and enjoyable at first but then get overplayed to death until you loathe the song!

"You know nothing, Jon Snow." Seriously Ygritte, stop saying that. Awful, awful line.

Also, this is what made me really hate Danaerys: "I have a dragons temper, you musn't let it frighten you." Commence huge eye roll and strangulation daydream.

Also, when Dany keeps reminding Jorah and others to call her 'Your Grace.' And just in general when she talks or thinks about the iron throne. You're not a queen, idiot, of anything.

I just really can't stand Danearys.

"You know nothing, Jon Snow." Seriously Ygritte, stop saying that. Awful, awful line.

Also, this is what made me really hate Danaerys: "I have a dragons temper, you musn't let it frighten you." Commence huge eye roll and strangulation daydream.

Also, when Dany keeps reminding Jorah and others to call her 'Your Grace.' And just in general when she talks or thinks about the iron throne. You're not a queen, idiot, of anything.

I just really can't stand Danearys.

Good first post. You'll find that there are many people who share that opinion :grouphug:

I totally agree that Shae's betrayal will be even more shocking and upsetting since Shae is a more authentic character in the show. Some have conjectured that she won't betray him at all-that they'll just write that scene out of the show or change it to someone else, but that would just be criminal on the writers' part.

A little off-topic, but I warn you: be prepared for the possibility that the terrible old man Tywin will kill poor lovestruck Shae in order to punish Tyrion, therefore causing Imp to revenge his only true love. Alas, I can see it coming.

Keeping to the topic, I really hope that 'I am of the night' phrase was a kind of a joke from Martin's part. It sounds so lame that having read this, I instantly got inflamed with sudden hate toward Darkstar.

Haha, thanks. Kind of bad that my first post is a bash on something, but I have very few things I dislike about this series so far. I'm on page 500 or so of ASOS and it's amazing. Just don't really care much for Dany's attitude.

A little off-topic, but I warn you: be prepared for the possibility that the terrible old man Tywin will kill poor lovestruck Shae in order to punish Tyrion, therefore causing Imp to revenge his only true love. Alas, I can see it coming.

Problem is: they've made Tywin likeable now too through his scenes with Arya. <facepalm>

I liked those scenes as stand-alones but when we look at the bigger picture, they are just going to make the inevitable hurt more.

Uh oh, haha. Oh well, her storyline is interesting, so I guess I can overlook her annoying personality. I guess I just don't like the house Targaryen as a whole. They're fascinating, true, but the whole arrogant 'blood of the dragon' thing is nauseating.

Hah if you didn't like her before, A dance with Daario is only going to make things worse.

This made me think of another nomination for worst line in the shape of various Daario's-colourful-forked-beard-is-sooo-haaawt type descriptions.

Archived