Beauty Means Health, or Why it's Okay to say "No" to Tyrion

Sand Snake No. 9

Really? He doesn't hold Shae's mind in high regard during their relationship, neither does he appreciate Septa Lemore for her educational prowess. He doesn't know much about Sansa's mind either, but concentrates on "sweet smelling Sansa Stark" when thinking about marrying her.

i'm not saying that Tyrion isn't attracted to women primarily for their looks. I'm saying that Tyrion didn't look at Lolys and consider her unworthy because she was ugly with no sense of irony at all, but because he thought she was daft and a bad marriage alliance. He didn't go "Huh, she's too ugly for me, now why don't these other girls like me?"

Grief-the kind of grief Sansa was suffering, the loneliness and isolation-does not improve a woman's (or anyone's) looks. The pallor and unhealthy complexion, the drawn face, the dark circles caused by restless nights, the dead eyed look-none of this makes a child look good.

Mind I have this problem with plenty of other authors, it's a favourite nitpick of mine.

then you seem to misunderstand the motivation of some men. It is not about the appearance but the vulnerability. That vulnerability can be very very attractive. Men to one extent or another have a drive to be the white knight saving the princess, to be their protector. To see a woman in need triggers a instinctual level to protect and help that woman.

i'm not saying that Tyrion isn't attracted to women primarily for their looks. I'm saying that Tyrion didn't look at Lolys and consider her unworthy because she was ugly with no sense of irony at all, but because he thought she was daft and a bad marriage alliance. He didn't go "Huh, she's too ugly for me, now why don't these other girls like me?"

Didn't he also criticize her because she's fat too? I forget. Either way, I don't think it's too much to say that Tyrion is pretty superficial with how he judges the women around him when it comes to romance.

Didn't he also criticize her because she's fat too? I forget. Either way, I don't think it's too much to say that Tyrion is pretty superficial with how he judges the women around him when it comes to romance.

And so is everyone else. Hence the original premise of the thread.

And so is everyone else. Hence the original premise of the thread.

A lot of characters in the novels are going through character development that seems to indicate they will end up attracted to perhaps "less ideal" partners. Not Tyrion, however. He seems to be slated to hold on to his views on this and still be upset that beautiful women don't find him attractive.

A lot of characters in the novels are going through character development that seems to indicate they will end up attracted to perhaps "less ideal" partners. Not Tyrion, however. He seems to be slated to hold on to his views on this and still be upset that beautiful women don't find him attractive.

I fail to see that the lack of a Brienne or Sandor to change his worldview detracts from the innate biology of attraction to aesthetically beautiful people. This is a normal part of natural selection. You really can't have it both ways, that it is reasonable for ugly Tyrion to be dismissed as such and to fault him for being attracted to beautiful women.

Yes, brecause his growing affections for Penny didn't hapen at all.

Bias, bias, bias.

I'm going to say what most Sanstans are thinking: Sansa, who started the series fixating on pretty boys, actually develops feeling for rather unattractive men: Sandor and then later Willas.

At the risk of sounding like I am "whiteknightng", I'll just point out that little Sansa who is, amongst other less savoury epithets been called "shallow", "stupid", "snooty", "vain" and "bratty" has more depth than a man twice her age and learning..

I fail to see that the lack of a Brienne or Sandor to change his worldview detracts from the innate biology of attraction to aesthetically beautiful people. This is a normal part of natural selection. You really can't have it both ways, that it is reasonable for ugly Tyrion to be dismissed as such and to fault him for being attracted to beautiful women.

She can because ugly people should be aware of their situation and know their place in the social hierarchy, that is, at the base.

Those who "reach out of their leagues" must be severily punished.

To those with faulty reading comprehension, the above was sarcasm.

She can because ugly people should be aware of their situation and know their place in the social hierarchy, that is, at the base.

Those who "reach out of their leagues" must be severily punished.

To those with faulty reading comprehension, the above was sarcasm.

Then we're done here.

oh and I thought this was a well accepted given, but any sex with a slave is rape. By definition a slave cannot give consent. I didnt think that was even up for debate

You would thinks so, wouldn't you? But, apparently it is up for debate for some reason. I completely agree with you.

then you seem to misunderstand the motivation of some men. It is not about the appearance but the vulnerability. That vulnerability can be very very attractive. Men to one extent or another have a drive to be the white knight saving the princess, to be their protector. To see a woman in need triggers a instinctual level to protect and help that woman.

I've never heard this before. It doesn't make sense to me but I can see it.

I think the point some people were making is that Tyrion is upset that women see his looks only and don't love him despite that. Yet, he does the exact same thing to other woman. He wants love but from a beautiful woman. Sure, he can hope for that all he wants. But, it's not a very realistic expectation. And that's pretty much the point of this thread.

I'm going to say what most Sanstans are thinking: Sansa, who started the series fixating on pretty boys, actually develops feeling for rather unattractive men: Sandor and then later Willas.

At the risk of sounding like I am "whiteknightng", I'll just point out that little Sansa who is, amongst other less savoury epithets been called "shallow", "stupid", "snooty", "vain" and "bratty" has more depth than a man twice her age and learning..

Yep, I agree. I'd add her growing respect for Luthor Brune as well. She developed a trust with Dontos.

Archived