Anyone else having Difficulty Reading the book?

I finished it and actually enjoyed the book. and am eager to start ADWD...Cersei/Jaime POV made it worthwhile. and I doubly loathe cersie now that I'm done with AFFC. and I think I might like Jaime but its so hard to like a lannister...I still think its grimey that Tyrion killed his Dad..but I've gotten off the subject. The book was a good read to me...it made me somewhat forget about the Red Wedding and how heart broken I was after that.

I actually think Cersei suffers from Mental Illness due to her twisted perception of reality and the nightmare of Maggy the Frog i.e. Jeyne Westerling's Great Grandmother.

One thing I have to say to each and every one of you who is about to read, or is reading right now the book, is that AFFC is great. Of course, it`s absolutely true that it`s very different in comparisson with CoK & SoS, but the concept stays the same. In a world where the game of thrones is being played non-stop, all of the sides ( King Stannis, King Tommen, The King of the Iron Islands & The North, Roose Bolton, The Brotherhood without banners, Dorn) need to be very carefull not to miss any part of it. And that game does include not only war but also politics and diplomacy. In AFFC those 2 components are more important than combat. In fact there is no actual fighting in part 4 of the series. I`m sure that 80% of the readers who`ve enjoyed the previous books, will like this too. Of course, the best in my opinion is SoS. A common misunderstanding is that AFFC is a transitional book. Very wrong statement that some people who like the habbit of J.R.R. Martin to kill all of his characters one by one make. The POVs are not the kinda expected and there are many new facts that a fan of ASoIaF can learn only by reading himself. Sansa, Dorn, Brienne, Cersei and Jamie are futured the most, but Arya has little but very interesting place in the book as well.

Once I passed the halfway mark of the book, I began to enjoy it much more. I am actually excited to read, and I don't want to put it down now, early on I didn't think that would happen with this book.

It's a slow book but good. I like politics and backstory more than fight scenes, so maybe that' why. The parley between Jaime and the Blackfish is one of my favorite scenes. Blackfish is sassy :P

I thought I'd love the fight scenes a lot more at first, but I grew to like the whole drama/political part of it more to be honest. I guess it's because I actually like visualizing the fight scenes more.

I thought I'd love the fight scenes a lot more at first, but I grew to like the whole drama/political part of it more to be honest. I guess it's because I actually like visualizing the fight scenes more.

We're the same on that point. I like watching fight scenes better than reading about it, it helps with my visualization of what really happened (I don't know why but when I read about battles I understand who hit/killed who etc and get the overall mood but could not visualize it well enough), whereas with politics and drama a lot of nuances can get lost in translation when dramatized so I like reading about it more.

Feast for Crows is definitely the most boring. Even the Jaime chapters are introspective and uneventful. I just skimmed through Brienne PoV's. They're not bad per se but I just dislike her personally.

I agree if you consider Jaime's scene chapters to be uneventful as in not 'action-packed' with fighting. There is considerable more fighting in Brienne's chapters than in Jaime's (if we skip over the beatings he gets from Ser Illyn).

But aside from this, in Jaime's chapters a lot is happening, plotwise. I liked them a lot.

I've never liked much of the fighting in any of these books if I'm honest , maybe it's because I generally don't enjoy reading action. Stick with the books though , and Feast does pick up and plucks along quite nicely after you really get into it. I find it fascinating that my opinion of Jaime has changed so quickly , it's a little disturbing how much I did not enjoy that character but now I do look forward to his chapters.

I agree, The changes is the characters is really remarkable. Cercei is descending into madness at an alarming rate, She is paranoid about everyone and everything. She see's everyone as scheming to destroy her. Jaime, lost a hand, and gained a new perspective. I really like how he is changing.

I agree, The changes is the characters is really remarkable. Cercei is descending into madness at an alarming rate, She is paranoid about everyone and everything. She see's everyone as scheming to destroy her. Jaime, lost a hand, and gained a new perspective. I really like how he is changing.

Yes, it's great to see how Cersei is totally decompensating at the same time that Jaime is becoming more likeable. I am actually enjoying this whole book more than I expected to, after reading comments about how boring it is. I'm not a huge fan of the Iron Islands storyline, but Dorne is pretty interesting. Actually both present some interesting ideas about the role of women in this world--certainly something that has shaped Cersei's life as well. And I kind of love the Brienne chapters. Every time Pod says, "My lady? Ser?" I chuckle, because it's so endearing. Again, another interesting storyline around the role of a woman in this society.

I got through about 25% of AFFC and had to take a break for a few months. Then I forced myself to read it. It's kind of a necessary evil that connects the story but you'll be happy you finished it. I just finished re-reading books 2 and 3 and instead of doing AFFC again, I'm just gonna read the chapter reviews on Tower. I really wish they would update book 5 chapters though.

The book was much more enjoyable the second time around. I flew through this book and couldn't get enough of the history and backstory. I skimmed this one the first time I read it and am totally glad I MADE myself read everything this time. Missed so much initially.

I've just read it for the first time after taking a long break from SOS (recovery process from the numerable moments from that incredible book), and I've got to say, I was getting annoyed about halfway through FFC. I think it was because there were so many new characters being created. I don't think it's so much about new POV characters as it is the exhaustive list of new names in each chapter. At times it felt like the author was more enthused about fleshing out the family trees than actually giving the reader a tangible plot to follow. In retrospect I don't think I really got much out of the Dorne and Iron Islands simply because there were too many names to keep track of. It's great that Mr. Martin has been able to completely immerse the reader into a large, realistic world, however I can't help but ask whether the stories I'm reading have anything to do with the plotlines I care about.

I think it's a great book, I'm about half way through now. I'm enjoying the Jaime chapters the most, Iron Islands the least. The characters from the islands seem samish to me and the storyline kind of sluggish. I'm hoping it picks up a little. The Dorne chapters are done pretty well and I like the contrast in cultures that you can see between Dorne and the rest of Westeros. Iron guys are a bit different too, I guess they all are. That's what I love most about these books, the way they immerse you into this total fantasy world loaded with detailed accounts of it's history and cultures. Unbelievable, really. I look forward to continuing with this awesome story, right to the bitter end.

Im really enjoying AFFC this time around. The first time I read it, I think I rushed through, just eager to get at the juicy bits. But now that I know all that, Im loving all the back story and Westeros knowledge I'm picking up. The politics of it all intrigues me this time, too.

Archived