What to read while we wait?

They Die Too

Seriously you'll be able to get through The Hobbit in a weekend haha, although LOTR is a very different matter.

Good luck with that. I hadn't read LOTR before reading ASOIAF and just started reading it and am having so much trouble getting into it. I just don't think I'm a fan of Tolkeins writing style. I did get through the Hobbit and it was enjoyable, it is short, which is nice.

I also just caved and read the Hunger Games, and I have to say, it is very good. Quite a gripping story. A bit corny at times, but good. About to start the second one.

The last non-ASoIaF book I've read is The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. And it really reminds me of ASoIaF in some ways. It's got the same structure as ASoIaF, with different POVs. It's also set in a fantasy medieval setting and the story is really gritty and dark.

I haven't read them yet, but a lot of people have recommended The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. It's a long series. So far there have been 13 published novels with the fourteenth ( and last one ) scheduled for release early next year.

You should also read GRRM's Dunk and Egg novelas. I'll get right on that as soon as I finish my reread of ACoK.

As people have mentioned, The Way of Kings is a great book.

The Farseer trilogy.

The Strongbow Saga.

The Eskkar Saga.

Redwall books.- I know they are children books but I still love to read them.

Derian Hettle is a good stand-alone book.

The First Law trilogy.

Oh and I just remembered a book I recently read, it is called Bloodman. Probably the most disturbing book I have ever read.

I've been wanting to read the Gormenghast trilogy, but it's kinda hard to find. I'm sure some of you have noticed the references GRRM makes to it with his characters Titus and Gormon Peake. Has anyone read these books?

The wheel of time will keep you busy for a long time - 14 books each atleast 800 pages.

But apart from that - try the Stormlight archive book 1 - The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson - Note: this is a ten book series with only 1 book published so far it will take another 20 years at least for the series to finish.

I've tried reading the malazan series but never finished even the first book - very difficult series to get into

Ditto. I stopped after the first book. I was pretty much working down that list some posted few posts up. But couldn't get into that series or Mistborn.

Archived