Roberts Bastards

The WarHammer

I had considered Gendry having a part to play in forging a new lightbringer...

1. He is a smith and a r'hollorist

2. He is a son of a king

3. He knows how to rework valyrian steel

just speculation, but it had occurred to me when Brienne found him working at the forge.

Mya Stone was mentioned by someone else's POV when Robert went to KL to become king and marry Cersei he was going to take Mya with him and Cersei threatened to kill her if she came to KL. I know Mya felt abandoned by Bob, but he did her right.

I have no thoughts about Edric Storm. Since he was shipped from dragonstone he's been out of sight - out of mind. I think he was mentioned only once by Davos as proof of Tommen/Joffery/Myrcella's bastardship(bastard-dom?).

Gendry can reforge ICE.

Where do we get that he can reforge Ice or any Valryian steel blade? Just because he likes the idea of Rhollar? I'd hardly say he actually knows anything about the religion.

Valryian Steel isn't just metal that can be reforged like a common sword. They're forged with spells also like all other Valryian works

Where do we get that he can reforge Ice or any Valryian steel blade? Just because he likes the idea of Rhollar? I'd hardly say he actually knows anything about the religion.

he apprenticed under Tohbo Mott, the master blacksmith that split Ice. It was also said that the sword seemed to fight its splitting, meaning it is destined to be reforged.

Gendry can reforge ICE.

Valryian Steel isn't just metal that can be reforged like a common sword. They're forged with spells also like all other Valryian works

Ice has already been reforged into 2 smaller swords at the command of Tywin. Gifts for Jamie and Joffery.

From the Wiki: Ice, the ancestral two handed greatsword of House Stark. Following Eddard Stark's execution in King's Landing, it was melted down and reforged into two longswords(those being Widow's Wail and Oathkeeper).

Gendry has known a likeable , sympathetic Red Priest in Thoros..I'm not sure he'd like Mel and her ideas as well...

Tobho Mott was impressed with Gendry's talent , IIRC.. and as magic increases,so any undertaking involving spells would have more chance of success ..Oathkeeper is in custody ( or easily recovered ) ..perhaps Jaime would be able to lay his hands on Widow's Wail ( Tommen would not be wearing it yet ).

Gendry was just an apprentice. Why does anyone think he'd have the skill to work with the finest metal in Westeros?

It takes a lot of skill to craft something like the bull helmet. GRRM most likely ranked him as an apprentice because Gendry worked under Tohbo Mott, and one should not rate him like most skilled trade rankings (apprentice, journeyman, master).

Part of it is also wishful thinking because if Tohbo did not teach some of his apprentices the spells to work valaryan steel, that knowledge may have died with him when Joffery stapled antlers to his head and flung him from a catapult.

not taking an interest in running the realm, letting LF and Varys run their schemes, getting the Crown into debt to the extent that is still an issue in Book 5

Robert was a terrible king! You let yourself be swayed by Ned Stark's high opinion of him.

Not at all. It has been spoken about before but the kingdom ran smoothly, he was a fair ruler, and the kingdom was peaceful during his reign.

There is nothing wrong with delegating power to his council. None of the schemes of Varys or Littlefinger could have come to fruition with Bob still in power.

How did the crown get into debt? It wasn't from his drinking that's for sure. The Stormlands are poor comparative to the other houses. The crown needed some money to get the new dynasty started. Many kingdoms and countries fall into some debt at one time or another, it's really no big deal. The crown developed some debt but that would have been no issue if not for the war. Cersei's refusal to acknowledge the ironbank got the crown in trouble, it was Cersei having children with her brother that tore the kingdom to shreds.

The thing I blame Robert for is letting Cersei raise Joffrey and not having the balls to stand up to her and her father's gold. But as a king he did fine.

i would love to see mya stone end up with harry the heir, gendry with arya and edric storm as the lord of storms end. stannis and shireen will be wiped out and once dany and jon take the throne, bastards will be given more rights, esp if true born children are eliminated!

Not at all. It has been spoken about before but the kingdom ran smoothly, he was a fair ruler, and the kingdom was peaceful during his reign.

There is nothing wrong with delegating power to his council. None of the schemes of Varys or Littlefinger could have come to fruition with Bob still in power.

How did the crown get into debt? It wasn't from his drinking that's for sure. The Stormlands are poor comparative to the other houses. The crown needed some money to get the new dynasty started. Many kingdoms and countries fall into some debt at one time or another, it's really no big deal. The crown developed some debt but that would have been no issue if not for the war. Cersei's refusal to acknowledge the ironbank got the crown in trouble, it was Cersei having children with her brother that tore the kingdom to shreds.

The thing I blame Robert for is letting Cersei raise Joffrey and not having the balls to stand up to her and her father's gold. But as a king he did fine.

You sound like a King's man to me. Nothing wrong with that. I like me a good King's man. However, you and Zee are both right in your own way, and the truth lies in the middle. Robert was a good King (not great) in many respects, and he was a bad King (not terrible) in other respects. :cool4:

Everyone keeps remarking on how Jamie and Brienne will let Gendry know who his father is but we need to remember that they are all (or will be shortly) in the presence of Un-Cat who has no affinities for bastards whatsoever.

I think that Joffrey was just as much a product of Robert's influence as he was his mother's. Also, it's clearly stated in GoT that Robert was always throwing feasts and tournaments the realm could not afford. He might not have been Aerys or Joffrey, but that doesn't make him any better than what he was. Before the storm, I'd have likened him to Chris Christie, but Christie has earned a bit of grudging respect from me.

• 4 weeks later...

Robert beggared the Kingdom, there's no doubt about that. It was even stated in the books - something to the effect that Aerys left the treasury overflowing with gold.

As a man, Robert was likeable, gregarious and fun. As a ruler, he was a financial disaster.

I agree that Edric is the most likely candidate for the Baratheon heritage. If there is one at the end of the books.

I also agree that Gendry has some important (re)forging to do. Though Ice may be more useful as two blades.

Gendry joined the Brotherhood without banners because he liked their way of justice under Beric. Now that Beric is gone, I think he sees anddislikes the way the brotherhood is going. I think Gnedry might be the one to kill Uncat, at which time it will be revealed to the BWB (if they don't already know) that he truly is Robert's bastard, and he will then take control of the BWB.

Archived