Has this forum changed your opinion on any of the characters?

Winter's Ghost

Well the popularity of "Khalessi" sure seems to annoy some people to no end. Which I really don't understand, if someone doesn't like her that's their preference, but why is it such a big deal if many other people do?

Yes it does annoy me a lot. But they don't change my PoV because they are Unsullied.

RE: Unsullied and Khaleesi

I do that all the time with TV shows myself. I was talking about Orange Is the New Black with a friend who kept referring to Suzaenne as Crazy Eyes, because that's what she's referred to most often.

Dany's name is hardly mentioned on the show-it's not hard to see whty show-only people refer to her as Khaleesi.

It's hard to say for sure... I think the forum has only accelerated what I would have found on my own. I haven't really flipped positions on any characters. Finding more info on characters that I hadn't noticed before helps form an opinion in the first place though.

Without the forum I may have just let the books lie after my first re-read and waited for the next book. I like reading new ideas (even if they're very rare nowadays) and they often make me open up the books to check a few details used by the post or related to the post etc - has definitely gotten me to look deeper at some characters, but still hasn't actually caused much of an opinion change on any that I can think of at least.

Yes it does annoy me a lot. But they don't change my PoV because they are Unsullied.

But why does it annoy you? This is what I don't understand. Personally I find Jon Snow to be a complete bore. Does it annoy me that mine seems to be a minority opinion among the book readers? Not at all and I certainly don't go around bashing him all over the internet like the Dany haters seem to do. Hell, there are even facebook pages set up whose sole purpose is to bash on Dany day after day. It really is freakin bizarre to me.

Mostly, my opinons have not changed, with the exception of Stannis. Before I came to this forum, I simply didn't care for him. Now I can't wait to see him die, because of how overrated I think he is.

i thought Jon was the perfect leader and that his stabbing must have been caused by conspiracy or magic. But, yeah, he made plenty of mistakes and they had good reasons for taking him out.

The "Oh, you think he’s dead, do you?" is quoted quite a lot but the next thing GRRM says in that interview is "Well. I’m not going to address whether he’s dead or not. But as to why — didn't you think the text established why they would want to assassinate him?". I guess that for many Jon fans, as we see from that amount of crackpot threads about the ides of Marsh, the text didn't establish what GRRM wanted.

I don't think it is a huge fault, I think GRRM just underestimated humans' capacity to turn a blind eye to the faults of those they like. With Dany we have her constantly worrying about her mistakes, while Cersei goes on about how smart she is but Jon does not draw attention to his actions in the same way so I kind of assumed that everything was going fine and his last chapter was a complete shock. Having said that I do think it was mostly me not paying attention rather than the writing.

Archived