So.. Okay, Margaery Tyrell is a lesbian?

JaegrM

Royal adultery was often treated as treasonous (and that appears to be the law in Westeros).

What do you base "often treated as treasonous" on?

I can give you countless examples of adulterous queens and noblewomen who were not accused of treason.

Even the one exception, Anne Boleyn, was accused of adultery and treason as separate crimes. It was "countenancing the death of the King", by supposedly agreeing to a plot to assassinate Henry so she could marry Henry Norris, that was high treason. If the Treason Act 1351 applied to her, rather than just to whoever "violated" her, they wouldn't have needed to invent that charge.

I am aware that Alison Weir's books claim, with no sources, and contrary to every actual historian, that execution was the "standard" punishment for adultery, but even she doesn't say that it's because adultery was considered treason.

Adulterous queens and noblewomen were usually spared execution. But, they were often disgraced (like Marguerite of Burgundy).

Well, yes, that's exactly my point: they usually were not executed, but they were disgraced. So, why do people think that for a Queen to admit to or be convicted of adultery automatically means execution, when it usually didn't happen?

What do you base "often treated as treasonous" on?

I can give you countless examples of adulterous queens and noblewomen who were not accused of treason.

Even the one exception, Anne Boleyn, was accused of adultery and treason as separate crimes. It was "countenancing the death of the King", by supposedly agreeing to a plot to assassinate Henry so she could marry Henry Norris, that was high treason. If the Treason Act 1351 applied to her, rather than just to whoever "violated" her, they wouldn't have needed to invent that charge.

I am aware that Alison Weir's books claim, with no sources, and contrary to every actual historian, that execution was the "standard" punishment for adultery, but even she doesn't say that it's because adultery was considered treason.

Well, yes, that's exactly my point: they usually were not executed, but they were disgraced. So, why do people think that for a Queen to admit to or be convicted of adultery automatically means execution, when it usually didn't happen?

Within this story, adultery on the part of a Queen is deemed to be treason. That's what makes the charge potentially lethal for both Cersei and Margaery.

Archived