Why wasn't Edmure married?

King Euron Swagjoy

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, I searched and couldn't find anything. I also don't remember if it has been addressed in the books, but I don't think it has.

My question is, is why wasn't Edmure married by the time A Game of Thrones takes place? Surely he would be a match that many lords would want. He is described as attractive, and is the heir to Riverrun and the Lord Paramountcy of the Trident. But at the start of A Game of Thrones, he is 27, and still unmarried.

What is everyone's thoughts on this?

Well, for the past couple years Hoster was sick, and Edmure was pretty much running things. It's possible he didn't want marriage. We all know he likes his women, and seemed reluctant to tie the knot with anyone. Not to mention it's peacetime and marraiges are usually saved for war.

agreed with mr motte. Lord holster had been sick for years and thus unable to find a maiden for edmure as it is a lord's duty to apoint marrieges and stuff. also, edmure would be lord within a few years, so he might as well choose for himself and possibly there wasn't a worthy hand at the time.

Not to mention it's peacetime and marraiges are usually saved for war.

Not really... People wouldn't just wait and hope for wars to break out so that they might finally get married... Marriages in general at the time, at least a lot of them (I'm talking of nobles of course) were made to secure alliances in case of war. Other reason was that they hoped to expand family power. Tommen-Margaery marriage was made official much too soon because of war, but neither of them were kept unmarried just so that they could be used to secure an alliance should war break out.

Well, for the past couple years Hoster was sick, and Edmure was pretty much running things. It's possible he didn't want marriage. We all know he likes his women, and seemed reluctant to tie the knot with anyone. Not to mention it's peacetime and marraiges are usually saved for war.

Are u suggestin that during Robert´s 15-year long peaceful reign nobles in Westeros didnt get merried.

Marriage is used to make alliances, not only for war, but for lots of reasons

We don't really know the riverlord's daughters very well.. except for Frey's of course. Some of them were probably suitable but Edmure liked to party. He was running things while his dad was sick and he knew he would be Lord one day and that he'd have to marry then, I assume he was just putting it off as long as possible. I don't think he's like his uncle Brynden in this regard..

I've always thought that Edmure was quite content to be a bachelor for the moment and Hoster had been too sick to impose a marriage on him.

It also seems from Cat's POVs that Edmure has always been babied as the youngest child, so his family might have still been looking at him this way and they weren't putting much pressure on him to settle down.

Archived