Rickon Theories?

lewisdy9093

Rickon is by now in the book close to 7 assuming two and a half year have passed. He was nearly 4 at the start.

He is now not much younger than was Bran when asked to witness an execution, who believed he was "almost a man grown"

Bran was not a pawn even at 7, so wild rickon, who has had to learn to survive will not be a apwn of anyone.

Mind you I fear his path is dark

Rickon is by now in the book close to 7 assuming two and a half year have passed. He was nearly 4 at the start.

He is now not much younger than was Bran when asked to witness an execution, who believed he was "almost a man grown"

Bran was not a pawn even at 7, so wild rickon, who has had to learn to survive will not be a apwn of anyone.

Mind you I fear his path is dark

If a year is longer in Westeros then in our world he may even be older.

All I know about Rickon is he is going to be turn out being one messed up person. First 4-5 years of his life brought up by a loving family, and lived a life of luxury. Only to have all of it taken away from him, without having any idea what is going on. He's going through a critical stage of mental development and is not living in the proper circumstances to mature normally.

Seems very similiar to Visarys to me and he turned out AWESOME especialy when he finally got his crown

Longshot (but certainly reasonable) Theory:

Rickon Stark, King Consort of the 7 Kingdoms. Whose reputation for ferocity and wildness keeps the rest of the realm from rebelling.

How? Marriage through Shireen, Stannis's daughter.

Stannis knows the Northmen have an independence streak going on right now, and while he can count on some of them to follow him in pursuit of vengeance, they will be far less likely to follow his minor daughter. And he absolutely needs to the North to have any chance of deseating the Lannister-Tyrell pretenders.

Ah, but betroth Shireen to Rickon, and suddenly war against the Iron Throne is war against a son of Eddard Stark. Or, not going to happen. It also gives the North a path for revenge and a king they can relate to. While when we last saw Rickon, he has some growing up to do, I think he will channel his "wildness" into being effectively wild. Who doesn't want to see a direwolf scaring the uptight nobles of King's Landing with Rickon laughing at their discomfort?

This also lets Bran receive his legal inheritance of Winterfell, and Jon fulfill his destiny as Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. Which is frankly, a much more important position than king.

PS) A shaggy dog story is a story that has no point. Yet, Martin is writing this series as a subversion of literary tropes. So, in this case, might Rickon and Shaggydog's story be incredibly meaningful (e.g. king) even as it has no greater purpose?

Rickon will be Lord of Winterfell or KitN if Jon chooses not to be. If Jon is made LoW or KitN, Rickon will be the Black Wolf, the Stark version of Oberyn and Brynden Blackfish. He will be trained at arms by Sandor Clegane and become a combination of Brandon and Cregan Stark.

Rickon befriending the Freys shows that he is capable of forming alliances with houses that his father/mother had trouble with in the past, he hasn't spent enough time with the Starks to become as pretentious and focused on the past as his parents were.

He is wild and his direwolf reflects his inner personality - raw, confused and angry. He doesn't have a target or place to direct his anger. He will however learn to focus and channel his emotions through guidance from Osha and Davos and focus this on his enemies. Personally I feel his distance from the Starks is beneficial as it allows him to get closer to what wolves and the Starks were meant to be - wild, ferocious and cunning. From this I see Rickon returning the Starks to their roots and true purpose; holding dominion and ruling over the North, not hold a king's peace like Ned The Starks have been too happy holed up in Winterfell as tamed dogs Rickon's direwolf actions could show a return of their wild side.

I just hope Rickon's story isn't a play on the Shaggy Dog joke because the kid has such a good potential plot.

Rickon befriending the Freys shows that he is capable of forming alliances with houses that his father/mother had trouble with in the past, he hasn't spent enough time with the Starks to become as pretentious and focused on the past as his parents were.

He is wild and his direwolf reflects his inner personality - raw, confused and angry. He doesn't have a target or place to direct his anger. He will however learn to focus and channel his emotions through guidance from Osha and Davos and focus this on his enemies. Personally I feel his distance from the Starks is beneficial as it allows him to get closer to what wolves and the Starks were meant to be - wild, ferocious and cunning. From this I see Rickon returning the Starks to their roots and true purpose; holding dominion and ruling over the North, not hold a king's peace like Ned The Starks have been too happy holed up in Winterfell as tamed dogs Rickon's direwolf actions could show a return of their wild side.

I just hope Rickon's story isn't a play on the Shaggy Dog joke because the kid has such a good potential plot.

Definitely agree that Rickon's story is a great potential plot line and I think that's why Martin finally came back to it in ADWD after giving Rickon time to age away from the POV's in the series. Not only will Rickon shake things up politically in the North, but he's a different kind of male Stark that we haven't seen within the series: willful, untamed, not restricted by an unfailing code of honor, angry, and daring. A throwback to the old Stark kings!

Beware the Winter and beware the wrath of Rickon with a united North backing him!

I think Sansa will rule Winterfell until he comes of age. He will be the new KitN and he will unite the Wildling Tribes, keep them under control as he will be a respected leader in their eyes.

If he learned what Sansa has learned from LF, how to fight from Arya, how to rule from Jon, imagine what would come out... pretty scary. I hope Osha raises him well.

The facts say Rickon will tun out evil, cruel, mad or something in that direction.

1. As often mentioned everything and everyone of importance to him is dead, gone, burned or destroyed. All during a time, where he was too young to understand any of it. And it wasn't only one big blow, but one strike after another. just when he might have had the time to recover the next strike came at him.

2. Then there is his direwolf. The only direwolf that Martin colored black, most likely not without reason. Shaggydog is the wildest of all, he attacked several people even those who meant neither him nor Rickon any harm like Master Luwin. Both Jojen and Bran in Summers skin can feel his anger and distress.

3. With the last point in mind there is the fact, that as far as we know Rickon has nobody who can instruct him developing his warg abilities. For me there is no doubt about Rickon being a warg since all the other Stark children with living direwolfs have wolfdreams. When Jojen starts to instruct Bran he gives him tasks to fulfill in Summers skin in order to remain the one in charge. He warns if the human doesn't learn to control the beast, the beast will start to control the human. And we also learn how hard it is for Bran to follow these orders in the beginning and we know Robb feared the savageness of Greywind at some point and how that might influence him. So the chance for Rickon not been as strong and becoming more and more like the wild black direwolf is rather high.

4. In his current situation he is on an island known for it's cruel and savage inhabitants with no one else than Osha to look over him. Osha no doubt is a tough woman who seems to be capable to deal with a lot and she appears to be trustworthy and with a healthy view on things. But she still is a wilding who's seen cruel things that made her flee from her home. And don't forget that she almost would have taken a part in the murder of a crippled boy when her band encountered Bran. Is she capable of protecting Rickon? Protecting him from himself? Maybe Davos can compensate something if he finds Rickon. But will he and hasn't there passed to much time already?

5. A minor point but it adds to the picture: Rickon befriended the Walders at Winterfell.

So if Rickon doesn't meet a great, wise Mentor with knowledge about wargism and a loving nature he can only become the Mad Wolf. I see no other way.

Rickon has Bran to instruct him about warging and Starkness.

The whole Skagos legend sounds over done to me, most likely it's just stories they spin to be left alone.

I don't know about anyone else, but I want him to be the Stark that went wrong. I want him to be the villain in someone's story.

I would prefer him to be the 'surprise' salvation, but that's my dreamy way of always wanting things to go well with characters I have affection for.

It is very possible he will be the Stark that goes wrong though. Shaggy dog's behaviour, his behaviour, and point to him becoming quite an aggressive character.

A question, in case anybody remembers:

I have a vague idea that Shaggy was put in his place by one of his brothers, Summer I think. He was being too aggressive about food?

I would prefer him to be the 'surprise' salvation, but that's my dreamy way of always wanting things to go well with characters I have affection for.

It is very possible he will be the Stark that goes wrong though. Shaggy dog's behaviour, his behaviour, and point to him becoming quite an aggressive character.

A question, in case anybody remembers:

I have a vague idea that Shaggy was put in his place by one of his brothers, Summer I think. He was being too aggressive about food?

I wouldn't mind him being a secret salvation, either. It would be nice to have something good happen for a change.

I'm honestly fine with anything, I just like the idea of a bad Stark.

And please elaborate on Shaggy being put in his place!

I wouldn't mind him being a secret salvation, either. It would be nice to have something good happen for a change.

I'm honestly fine with anything, I just like the idea of a bad Stark.

And please elaborate on Shaggy being put in his place!

Unfortunately I can't elaborate much as I only have a vague idea that Shaggy was being too cruel to some wolves I think, that he wanted the kill all for himself, and then Summer kind of made him stop and calm down.

I'll try to search it on the net, doubt I could in the books without a proper look.

edit: I entertain the idea that if Shaggy could be corrected, so could Rickon, that's why I wonder.

Archived