Rickon Theories?

lewisdy9093

All I know about Rickon is he is going to be turn out being one messed up person. First 4-5 years of his life brought up by a loving family, and lived a life of luxury. Only to have all of it taken away from him, without having any idea what is going on. He's going through a critical stage of mental development and is not living in the proper circumstances to mature normally.

This is why George RR says he has so much trouble writing for Bran. Bran, in a way is going through something similar (he doesn't fully understand the world yet) but he is put on a massive quest, and put through extreme tragedy (half his family being murdered, becoming a cripple). He is only still trying to assimilate and understand the world around him, and all he is seeing are terrible things, making it very hard to write a stream of consciousness for.

But Rickon has the benefit of Osha, an adult who has the life experience to teach him how to adapt to the world that is changing around him. In the two year absence, I absolutely believe that Osha has done more for Rickon than merely act as a bodyguard. She seems entirely capable of educating him, caring for him, and helping him to come to terms with their new circumstances. And once Davos encounters them as well, I predict he'll do a great job of helping Rickon come to terms with his identity as a Stark. There's no denying that Rickon is going to have identity issues, like his other siblings do too, but I think Osha and Davos will keep him from being truly messed up.

But Rickon has the benefit of Osha, an adult who has the life experience to teach him how to adapt to the world that is changing around him. In the two year absence, I absolutely believe that Osha has done more for Rickon than merely act as a bodyguard. She seems entirely capable of educating him, caring for him, and helping him to come to terms with their new circumstances. And once Davos encounters them as well, I predict he'll do a great job of helping Rickon come to terms with his identity as a Stark. There's no denying that Rickon is going to have identity issues, like his other siblings do too, but I think Osha and Davos will keep him from being truly messed up.

I dont think he would have identity issues at all. Yes, he is set out into the wild so to say but he knows he's Stark and has no reason to hide that as of yet. Where the others all need to hide it (or not come to terms with it for Jon) There is a parallel between Ricken and Aegon. Ricken will grow up being tought what and who he is, due to Osha and his warging. Davos would give them reason to take back his right.

Another question comes to mind though. Why is Osha so loyal to them? She obviously have knowledge about COTF and life beyond the wall, as well as why they needed to go south of the wall. The way Mance reacts with Jon also brings reason that there is some value in the Starks (or Stark blood line) that can not be overlooked.

I also see his return but death aswell.. can't explain why but it seems fitting to the story. He's return will be grand but it will also destroy Littlefingers plans, who may have a hand in that. GRRM said the ending will be good but a lot wont be happy (not exact quote i forget what he said) that being said, the Starks purpose seems to guard/defend the North for the return of the Others (blood line of last Hero who made a pack with the COTF) IF the Others are destroyed they are no longer vital to humanity and maybe destoyed in the end as well.

• 6 months later...

I think that Rickon under the tutorage of Osha and the Skagosi elders will return to Winterfell as lord and warden of the north. His time spent in Skagos will help unite the free folk and the houses of the north. He may even bring Skagos in as player. Could be wrong but i think he will be the person (image) needed to unify a fragmented north.

I'm not sure how Jon fits in, if he's not dead, but I'm sure they will work together.

* sorry if its been said already, I'm new to this.

• 3 months later...

I think that Rickon Stark will become a great warrior. He is naturally aggressive and being on Skagos with a wildling will bring out that side of him even more. I think he will really suit the name Wild Wolf when he is older, having grown up with wildlings and all. He might not be as honourable though, he didn't have enough time with his family to fully learn honour from Ned Stark and after all of the terrible things that have happened to him at such a young age he might be a bit traumatised.

I think his character will be a little bit like Sandor Clegane. They both seem like natural warriors and have both had traumatic experiences in childhood. I'm not sure why but I just think Rickon will turn out a bit like him.

I have no doubt about Rickon being an amazing fighter but I hope he manages to meet up with Bran again so that Bran can teach him values like honour and help him understand more about what happened to their family. I think that Bran and Rickon would make an amazing team with Bran being the brains and Rickon the brawn. Hopefully they meet up again and soon. Arya too she'd make a brilliant spy/secret killer and Sansa could have a part to play as well. I'm hoping for a big comeback from the Starks!

I think that Rickon Stark will become a great warrior. He is naturally aggressive and being on Skagos with a wildling will bring out that side of him even more. I think he will really suit the name Wild Wolf when he is older, having grown up with wildlings and all. He might not be as honourable though, he didn't have enough time with his family to fully learn honour from Ned Stark and after all of the terrible things that have happened to him at such a young age he might be a bit traumatised.

I think his character will be a little bit like Sandor Clegane. They both seem like natural warriors and have both had traumatic experiences in childhood. I'm not sure why but I just think Rickon will turn out a bit like him.

I have no doubt about Rickon being an amazing fighter but I hope he manages to meet up with Bran again so that Bran can teach him values like honour and help him understand more about what happened to their family. I think that Bran and Rickon would make an amazing team with Bran being the brains and Rickon the brawn. Hopefully they meet up again and soon. Arya too she'd make a brilliant spy/secret killer and Sansa could have a part to play as well. I'm hoping for a big comeback from the Starks!

keep hoping... ASOIAF is not about the Starks alone

I think he will be too young to develop into a character whose personality/desires/ability are a real factor. He's more like Jeyne Poole - an important piece but not a player.

He's the centerpiece for the Manderley's plan of Stark revival. Should Stannis mean to use Rickon the same way he intended to use Jon, I don't see Rickon being willing or able to refuse becoming Lord Stark.

Yes, but he'll die first as foreshadowed by Last Hero tale and hinted by his direwolf's name.

Rickon becoming Lord of Winterfell is logical. Jon seems to have bigger things in store. Bran would have a hard time ruling a castle through just whispers of a weirwood (which, by the way, would make an awesome song title). Arya seems too far removed from normal society to return to such a rigid position. Sansa would be the next most likely, but she seems destined to hold a position in the next royal court (sans-Lannicest rule).

Rickon will die. The name of his direwolf shows that we can't expect his story to have any sense/use to the whole story : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaggy_dog_story

Plus the Starks can't have a happy ending. I don't know, I just don't feel it. They're too honorable, too naive, too sympathetic. And we know enough of their history to see the end of that family as a huge loss. It's not Martin's style to let them come back and become Lords/Kings once again, he's just gonna press where it hurts once again (after Ned and Robb). There will be no happily ever after for them.

He'll be brought back by Manderly in an attempt to put Starks back as Wardens of the North, so maybe he will be "leader" for a very little time, but then he'll die. Either killed by Lady Dustin, or in the war against the Others, or even of a cold... He's safer on Skagos, and Manderly's actions, though honorable are just leading him to his death.

Davos will find Rickon in Skagos and notify White Harbor, also stranded ships from the NW will mention the plan to save Hardhome, so Davos, being as good as he is will ask for the Manderly fleet, which will be sent and used to save the wildlings and also the troops from Skagos, who will agree to fight for Rickon. With this, White Harbor and Skagos will crush the Bolton troops at the Dreadfort and Winterfell. :D

Afterwards, Rickon as King of the North will defeat King Tommen in single combat as he already did once. :fencing:

Rickon will be toughest, hardest Stark there's been for generations, a true king of the north and winter. He and shaggydog will be as one, there will be no qualms in his being a warg, no faltering it will be an integral part of what he is.

I think the TV series pretty much telegraphed this very strongly: "I am not a southerner!" "I already know how to swing a sword!"

The facts say Rickon will tun out evil, cruel, mad or something in that direction.

1. As often mentioned everything and everyone of importance to him is dead, gone, burned or destroyed. All during a time, where he was too young to understand any of it. And it wasn't only one big blow, but one strike after another. just when he might have had the time to recover the next strike came at him.

2. Then there is his direwolf. The only direwolf that Martin colored black, most likely not without reason. Shaggydog is the wildest of all, he attacked several people even those who meant neither him nor Rickon any harm like Master Luwin. Both Jojen and Bran in Summers skin can feel his anger and distress.

3. With the last point in mind there is the fact, that as far as we know Rickon has nobody who can instruct him developing his warg abilities. For me there is no doubt about Rickon being a warg since all the other Stark children with living direwolfs have wolfdreams. When Jojen starts to instruct Bran he gives him tasks to fulfill in Summers skin in order to remain the one in charge. He warns if the human doesn't learn to control the beast, the beast will start to control the human. And we also learn how hard it is for Bran to follow these orders in the beginning and we know Robb feared the savageness of Greywind at some point and how that might influence him. So the chance for Rickon not been as strong and becoming more and more like the wild black direwolf is rather high.

4. In his current situation he is on an island known for it's cruel and savage inhabitants with no one else than Osha to look over him. Osha no doubt is a tough woman who seems to be capable to deal with a lot and she appears to be trustworthy and with a healthy view on things. But she still is a wilding who's seen cruel things that made her flee from her home. And don't forget that she almost would have taken a part in the murder of a crippled boy when her band encountered Bran. Is she capable of protecting Rickon? Protecting him from himself? Maybe Davos can compensate something if he finds Rickon. But will he and hasn't there passed to much time already?

5. A minor point but it adds to the picture: Rickon befriended the Walders at Winterfell.

So if Rickon doesn't meet a great, wise Mentor with knowledge about wargism and a loving nature he can only become the Mad Wolf. I see no other way.

• 1 month later...

IMO, if Jon doesn't unite the 7K as king then the 7K will fracture into individual kingdoms. Rickon will come later as King of the North cut a bloody swathe through Westeros taking vengeance for him family that he hardly knew. His Direwolf color I think gives away what he will be like. The "Blackwolf" he will be the black sheep if his family like "Blackfish" was for his. He will have strong sense of justice but at the same time have a little Tywin in there as well as a little wildness. He will almost definitely get the Riverlands, he could very well get the Vale and when he wreaks his vengeance on the Lannisters he may even take the Westerlands. He will be know as Rickon the Conquerer but he won't need any dragons to conquer.

Archived