*Possible Spoilers* The North's Relationship with the Targaryens...Theory

Rocket

There was Aegor Rivers (Bittersteel) and Baelor Breakspear both from Targaryen family tree and they had dark hair. Even the Baratheon's married into the family. So it is conceivable to not think twice about Roberts kids having blonde hair and Jon having the Stark family features.

There was Aegor Rivers (Bittersteel) and Baelor Breakspear both from Targaryen family tree and they had dark hair. Even the Baratheon's married into the family. So it is conceivable to not think twice about Roberts kids having blonde hair and Jon having the Stark family features.

If your point is that there were Targaryen descendants who didn't have the signature hair and eyes, Breakspear is the relevant example - Bittersteel actually had purple eyes.

Robert's grandmother was a Targaryen - but all her descendants (Lord Steffon and his 3 sons) had the Baratheon looks.

Your post actually made me wonder about the first Baratheon - Orys. The only thing we know about him is that he was the alleged bastard half-brother of Aegon the Conqueror. But who was his mother?

The Starks having Targaryen blood would also make the R+L=J much more viable. Rhaegar was obsessed with fulfilling the prophecy, if Lyana had "the blood of the dragon" in her then it would make much more sense that he would pursue her.

Depends on the prophecy. If it called for the joining of "ice and fire", it actually makes more sense for her NOT to have the Targaryen blood.

One other note to add to this thread is that GRRM has said that this "world" he created is a ball, a sphere. if we cut out the maps given to us, adding a little land for the upper north and the lower east, then we have a total connection between all worlds, with perhaps the Shadow Lands in between Ashaii and the Way upper north. that could have connected the valyrians to the starks which may result in an original dragon/targ connection. thoughts?

One other note to add to this thread is that GRRM has said that this "world" he created is a ball, a sphere. if we cut out the maps given to us, adding a little land for the upper north and the lower east, then we have a total connection between all worlds, with perhaps the Shadow Lands in between Ashaii and the Way upper north. that could have connected the valyrians to the starks which may result in an original dragon/targ connection. thoughts?

I think that it's stated that Dragonstone was the westernmost outpost of Valyria. From the wiki:

A century or so before the Doom of Valyria, House Targaryen, a noble Valyrian house, took possession of the island and built a castle upon it, which became the westernmost outpost of the Valyrian Freehold.

And the North is far from there. So why would a family, obsessed with keeping its bloodline pure, marry into another family, that lives far away and gives them no political gains?

I like this theory and hope we find out if there is more to the King Who Knelt. It makes sense to think the Starks got a little bit more out of that. I've always pictured it as Aegon and his sisters and army flying in to have Torrhen Stark and his army all kneeling but now that it has been brought up, I could see there being more to it.

What is the ice and fire concordance and where is it available(new to this but following discussion avidly-you are all so creative and passionate!)

That is the background book that GRRM and Ran are working up. I think they want to publish it within a year or two. I don't remember the exact page, or I would give you a link. Do a little searching on the SSMs.

I was pondering this as I started my first reread a few days ago. While the King Who Knelt time period seems a likely time to marry off a daughter, my thoughts lead me mo towards Jaehaerys I and Alysanne. We know nothing of their mother, nor their children, yet they were the only reported Targs to visit the North. Because they travelled extensively, I'm not convinced they went their to honor their mother's family. They may have taken a daughter with them on thier trip to the North though. Adding in the fact that Alysanne convinced Jaehaerys to abolish the lord's right to First Night, leads me to think she did so to protect her daughter. Perhaps we'll get clues when the Deep Lake Castle (built by Alysanne's money) is up and running again.

So if a Stark married a Targ, its got something to do with Jaehaerys. Either his mother or daughter.

Comments are welcome, but I new to this so be gentle please.

Dany isn't "The Blood of The Dragon" as you propose. That pyre incident was a singular incident. She burns as easily as everybody else when there is no magi chanting on a pyre containing a dead khal/husband, a dead monstrosity/babe and dragon eggs.

While I agree with you in part about the pyre being a singular incident, Dany is indeed more immune to fire than most. She enters a burning hot bath with no problems, and she does not get her hands burned when she pulls the dragon egg from the brazier. But she is not immune completely either. She does get burned riding the dragon, but only slightly.

While I agree with you in part about the pyre being a singular incident, Dany is indeed more immune to fire than most. She enters a burning hot bath with no problems, and she does not get her hands burned when she pulls the dragon egg from the brazier. But she is not immune completely either. She does get burned riding the dragon, but only slightly.

Show, show, show, not the books!

I need to support BBE, you are confusing the screenplay with canon (the books). She burns her hands on the spear when she pulls it out of Drogon, very similar to how Jon burnt his hand on the lamp. GRRM has always made a point that the pyre was a one of a kind happening, that was "magical". He also has pointed out that some Targaryens have had a fairly high tolerance to heat, but were very likely to burn to death, by drinking wild fire in one case. It is also common practice for the funerals of Targaryens to burn the bodies, and I don't recall hearing about any that refused to burn.

Archived