Getting revenge: your favorite retaliations

Moon-Pale Maiden

My favourite so far is Arya getting revenge on the Tickler.

Brienne's last scenes with Shagwell were awesome.

The Purple Wedding? After the red, it was necessary and right.

Janos Slynt getting beheaded was nice, but really just what happens when someone openly defies a commander in wartime. Chain of Command 1 - "Friends in King's Landing" 0

I loved Dany's revenge for the 163 slaves' (more or less) crucifixtion, pointing down the road to Meereen: 163 slavers nailed up, pointing to each other.

And yes, Frey Pies... Dare anyone ask Lord Manderly whether revenge was actually served hot or cold ?

Not so much revenge as comeuppance but I just loved it when all of Cersei's hair-brained decisions backfired on her: Aurane Waters ran off with the ships she had built by defaulting on the Iron Bank loans ...

My crackpot theory about Aurane Waters and the ships is that the Iron Bank simply repossessed them.

TBH, most of these give me the creeps.

A young girl engaging in rage enduced stabbing frenzy, a cold serving of cannibal pie, etc. Maybe I'm just not enough of a horror fan; to me these have always made me slightly less enamored with aspects of GRRM. I also hate most mob movies, btw, often for similar reasons.

. Yes, that's how I felt. I also get the feeling sometimes that there is an air of irony and hypocrisy going on because if we take out the specifics we see a person killing two people, cooking them, and serving them to their kin. We see uncat committing extermination and the rampant murder of people, some that weren't even involved in the RW. They all go too far like the freys did and I just can't cheer or take any pleasure in what they're doing because while it looks like justice it feels like the type of vengeance you might find in one of Ramsay's dreams.

I've always found the Tickler scene too unsettling.

On the other hand I enjoyed Frey pies once I learned about it on this forum. An I like the Slynt beheading precisely because it was not a revenge.

I kind of like MMD vs Drogo. Though she was evil for killing Rhaego.

For the future I have some hopes for lady Dustin }if she is indeed part of the conspiracy} and Mance.

Brienne against the Bloody Mummers, especially when she took off whatsyourcallits hand.

Tywin not shitting gold.

Cersei's WoS was pretty damn satisfying, too. Girlish laughter resounded across my conservatory throughout that chapter.

Another vote for the mighty Arya going at it at that tortuter :D

I'm not sure if it directly counts, but Lysa's death. She had caused so much havoc in the books, willingly followed plans on manipulating and killing people...then gets killed herself by the very same person whom she created that havoc for.

I don't think I was ever happier than when the Red Viper brought down the Mountain That Rides... Oberyn may have bought it in the end, but justice was done. Gregor was dead.

And then GRRM had to ruin it for me with FrankenGregor... argh!!!

Someone else brought up Littlefinger chucking Lysa out the moon door. Again, not necessarily revenge, but Lysa had that one coming. I had loathed Littlefinger up until that point, but now I kinda like him and look forward to seeing him again.

Now, let's see Arya come back from Braavos and start kicking major ass a la Beatrix Kiddo!

"It is not your screams I want. Only your life."

This is such a powerful moment for Dany, as she kills the woman who murdered her son and left her infertile. But what is even more spectacular about it is the irony -- MMD killed Rhaego to "protect" people from the stallion who mounts the world, but all she did was allow the true stallion (Daenerys) to gain power through the hatching of the dragon eggs.

Arya killing the Tickler reminds me of Dany crucifying the 163 Great Masters and Tyrion killing Tywin. In fantasy these moments would be viewed as "badass" and cathartic, but GRRM twists them; we see the effect that the war has had on Arya, and with Tyrion and Dany we see how the desire for revenge cannot be confused with the desire for justice. No one can deny that, by ASOIAF standards (and even 21st century standards in modern countries with the death penality), the 163 crucified slavers, the Tickler, and Tywin Lannister all deserved punishment for their crimes, but I think we can all agree that the methods should have been different.

PatrickStormborn: Yeah... I'm gonna have to respond to that.

Setting aside the utter barbarity of leaving 163 people nailed up to die for hours or days on end in horrific pain... for you to imply that any modern governing body would condone Dany's actions is absurd. That's ex post facto law and no one practices it. First you legitimately outlaw something and then you punish people who continue to do it, not the other way around. That's fine if in your personal opinion those random 163 people "deserved it" but don't act like there is any basis for what she did vis-a-vis 21st century standards.

And you're right, MMD clearly deserved to be burned alive for trying to stop the birth of the Dothraki Anti-Christ who is literally destined to fuck the world. Surely she should've realized that the savior of the Dothraki people who had just finished gang-raping her would be a benevolent planetary ruler.

Jon executing Janos and Arys killing the tickler were all good, but hands down my favorite goes to Manderly and his Frey pies. Just everything he says and does in Dance is fucking awesome.

"Rhaegar Frey, a worm bearing the name of a dragon."

"So young. Though mayhaps this was a blessing. Had he lived, he would have grown up to be a Frey."

"The North remembers Ser Davos, and this farce is almost ended."

Definitely Jon chopping Janos's head

I will also add:

Mirri Maz Durr's vengeance for what they did to her people and her later speech to Dany: What is life when all of the rest is gone.

I also liked when Arya left the Hound to die and told him "you should have save my mother" while thinking that maybe some real wolves will find him. One of favorite Arya moments.

Not exactly revenge but I like the irony of Jaime losing his hand to the bloody mummers when it was Tywin Lannister who left them loose in the realm without imagining that they will cost his favorite son his sword hand

Joffrey dying on his wedding just as Robb had died during Edmure's wedding

When UnCat first hanged the Freys in ASOS

Nuff Said

PatrickStormborn: Yeah... I'm gonna have to respond to that.

Setting aside the utter barbarity of leaving 163 people nailed up to die for hours or days on end in horrific pain... for you to imply that any modern governing body would condone Dany's actions is absurd. That's ex post facto law and no one practices it. First you legitimately outlaw something and then you punish people who continue to do it, not the other way around. That's fine if in your personal opinion those random 163 people "deserved it" but don't act like there is any basis for what she did vis-a-vis 21st century standards.

I don't know whether I should answer to this, but I think you misread his post. I'm sure he meant the slavers deserved punishment, even death (will you deny the people who were responsible for crucifying and torturing slaves deserved to pay for it?), but that crucifying them was not the way to go. As Tyrion killing Tywin, Arya killing the Tickler, both had good reasons for wanting revenge, but the way they got their revenge was not the best.

As for MMD, well... the woman had just killed her son. Daenerys wanted revenge for that. It kinda makes sense, I think, even though burning the maegi alive would not bring Rhaego back.

Archived