Getting revenge: your favorite retaliations

Moon-Pale Maiden

I was so sad reading the "saddest moments" thread, I thought it would nice to submit your favorite moments when characters major and minor get retribution for the wrongs the've suffered.

My favorite: When Arya kills the tickler:

The Tickler backed away. Arya could smell his fear. The shortsword in his hand suddenly seemed almost a toy against the long blade the Hound was holding, and he wasn’t armored either. He moved swiftly, light on his feet, never taking his eyes off Sandor Clegane. It was the easiest thing in the world for Arya to step up behind him and stab him.

"Is there gold hidden in the village?" she shouted as she drove the blade up through his back. "Is there silver? Gems?" She stabbed twice more. "Is there food? Where is Lord Beric?" She was on top of him by then, still stabbing. "Where did he go? How many men were with him? How many knights? How many bowmen? How many, how many, how many, how many, how many, how many? is there gold in the village?"

I just wanted to stand up and cheer.

:cheers:

Definitely Jon chopping Janos's head

I will also add:

Mirri Maz Durr's vengeance for what they did to her people and her later speech to Dany: What is life when all of the rest is gone.

I also liked when Arya left the Hound to die and told him "you should have save my mother" while thinking that maybe some real wolves will find him. One of favorite Arya moments.

Not exactly revenge but I like the irony of Jaime losing his hand to the bloody mummers when it was Tywin Lannister who left them loose in the realm without imagining that they will cost his favorite son his sword hand

Joffrey dying on his wedding just as Robb had died during Edmure's wedding

When UnCat first hanged the Freys in ASOS

Yeah that one was awesome. Arya finally gets the Tickler for all the people who died and were tortured. I always felt it was them she was really doing it for.

"Edd, fetch me a block."

Ohh Jon...I think this was the moment where he became my ultimate number 1.

Also when Manderly serves the Frey pies to the Freys

Jon beheading Slynt was very satisfying, even if it was actually for insubordination. Joffrey's death was pretty fitting, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy watching the Freys go down. But I think some of the best acts of vengeance are still coming: Bowen's payback for Jon's assassination, the northmen getting their hands on the Boltons and Freys, the Brotherhood and/or other riverlords taking back Riverrun, Sansa's payback to Littlefinger when she learns the role he played in the war.

(Posthumous vengeance)

"Elia Martell, Princess of Dorne. You raped her. You murdered her. You killed her children."

Prince Oberyn’s spear flashed like lightning and found the gap in the heavy plate, the joint under the arm. The point punched through mail and boiled leather. Gregor gave a choked grunt as the Dornishman twisted his spear and yanked it free.

"ELIA OF DORNE!"

TBH, most of these give me the creeps.

A young girl engaging in rage enduced stabbing frenzy, a cold serving of cannibal pie, etc. Maybe I'm just not enough of a horror fan; to me these have always made me slightly less enamored with aspects of GRRM. I also hate most mob movies, btw, often for similar reasons.

Arya's in particular; she was already showing a lot of psychopathic patterns, and I haven't enjoyed her dehumanization. I experience similar lack of investment when reading about Ripley, for those in the know.

Oberyn's, though...that was cool, until it went othwrwise.

Yeah that one was awesome. Arya finally gets the Tickler for all the people who died and were tortured. I always felt it was them she was really doing it for.

"Edd, fetch me a block."

Oh yeah, the indecision of this is what made it awesome. First they were going to hang him and then Jon says wait! I can see Dolorous Edd's reaction in my head like "...are we doing this or what?" and then off with his head lol. I loved it!

Oberyn's, though...that was cool, until it went othwrwise.

:thumbsup: It was all going to so well...

I also hate most mob movies, btw, often for similar reasons.

(Disclaimer: joking) until I read this...whaaaaaaaaat? How can you like ASOIAF (even though I'm joking, I personally see many, many similarities between mafia/gangster works and ASOIAF, which is one of the main reasons I like these books).

Purple Wedding was wonderful to read. Jon taking janos' head was also quite good. Tywin not shitting gold was terrific.

But i'm waiting for the karma that is coming to one Ramsay Bolton's way. I feel like he is going to suffer some terrible death. Joffery got to choke to death. Gregor was poisoned and lived in tremendous pain for a few days or weeks(i can't remember). Ramsay is going to suffer a much worse death then either of them, because i think it is safe to say that he is the root of all evil in these books.

"Edd, fetch me a block."

Hell yeah.

Unfortunately there aren't that many satisfying revenge scenes. Most characters who do horrible stuff just die...anti-climatic and largely "by accident". So Roose will probably drown while crossing a river or something and Ramsay will get killed by a falling tree. I hope though Ramsay has a meeting with Jon's Longclaw and Roose with Stan's pyres of course.

1) Jon excecuting Janos Slynt - I lol'd.

2) Arya killing the Tickler - found the scene sad but satisfying

3) Oberyn making Gregor his bitch - till Gregor kills Oberyn that is. :(

Not so much revenge as comeuppance but I just loved it when all of Cersei's hair-brained decisions backfired on her: Aurane Waters ran off with the ships she had built by defaulting on the Iron Bank loans, the Iron Bank therefore got pi**ed off and is now supporting Stannis, the Kettleblack she set up to incriminate Margaery incriminated her instead and... most of all... her supperficial treatment of Jaime after he came back from captivity ("oh you are no longer as pretty and you don't have a hand -- well then I don't like you so much any more") resulting in his "frankly my dear, I don't give a damn" response to her plea for rescue. Good stuff!

The one I am awaiting with a bit of trepidation is what unintended outcome will emerge from the Qyburn cesspit - have a bad feeling that Tommen may somehow end up the unwtting victim of his mother's stupid dealings with Qyburn. Which would be too cruel, even for Cersei...

Archived