Adria's News: G R.R. Martin Interview

Mini-mitch

Great interview! :)

Only thing that bothers me is how GRRM states too often how much he loves Tyrion. I also really like Tyrion but I'm almost losing my interest in him because I feel like we are expected to love him because he's GRRM's favorite...We just know Tyrion will come out a winner in the end.

I'm thinkin Fall/winter 2015 is more likely. but here's hoping he may have more time to actually focus on the writing the coming time.

I'm thinking November/December 2014.

He's apparently over 1/3 of the way done, so another two years should be enough, especially with the added motivation of having to stay ahead of the TV series.

I also think he's over the big 'hump', which was clearly the difficulty of having to split the story between AFfC and ADwD. Most of the story lines seem to have been maneuvered into place nicely now.

He had four hundred pages done in June.

I wish Martin'd what Sanderson does and put a counter on his site.

Terrible. We'd all be watching it and end up feeling sick every time it went backwards. Seriously, think about the meereenese knot, there would have been a lot of scrapage from where chapters didn't work out.

It will be done when it's done.

Thanks for the link!

I remember reading an interview -- I think it was around ComicCon -- where GRRM did express that he didn't want the TV show to catch up with him. So this would be twice now that I've seen him talk about it; hopefully it means he really gets into gear once this tour is done.

Then he should better hurry...

2011 GoT TV season: full aGoT

2012 GoT TV season: full CoK and some SoS chapters

2013 GoT TV season: half SoS up to RW more or less

2014 GoT TV season: ????? my guess 2nd half of SoS

2015 GoT TV season: ????? fist half of FfC? I don't think Ffc has enough material for 2 seasons but lets assume they make it so.

2016 GoT TV season: ????? 2nd half of Ffc

2017 GoT TV season: ????? educated guess is 1st half of DwD

2018 GoT TV season: ????? 2nd half of DwD

That's of couse assuming the TV seasons doesnt stop at some point to restart years laters.

That leaves GRRM a little over 5 years to finish WoW and DoS? and that's is hoping a book like FfC gets split in 2 seasons...

He better buy lots of red bull to keep up writing....

Then he should better hurry...

2011 GoT TV season: full aGoT

2012 GoT TV season: full CoK and some SoS chapters

2013 GoT TV season: half SoS up to RW more or less

2014 GoT TV season: ????? my guess 2nd half of SoS

2015 GoT TV season: ????? fist half of FfC? I don't think Ffc has enough material for 2 seasons but lets assume they make it so.

2016 GoT TV season: ????? 2nd half of Ffc

2017 GoT TV season: ????? educated guess is 1st half of DwD

2018 GoT TV season: ????? 2nd half of DwD

That's of couse assuming the TV seasons doesnt stop at some point to restart years laters.

That leaves GRRM a little over 5 years to finish WoW and DoS? and that's is hoping a book like FfC gets split in 2 seasons...

He better buy lots of red bull to keep up writing....

FFC and DWD will be combined and probably two seasons total. Which would make 2016 TWOW on television, given how big it's likely to be (DWD size I'm sure) and how much will happen (likely to be Storm of Swords level of action imo) it may well be split into two seasons. So if the TV show keeps going GGRM needs to finish by 2018!

All this speculation aside, this is a great interview. Some really nice answers and stuff I haven't heard before, which you don't always get from these.

So how do we interpret his comment on Robb Stark wanting to gain independence for the North.

He is referred to real life examples like Catalonia (wherever that is) and he immediately says that Robb's case is different.

So he seems to indicate that while he doesn't understand some of the conflicts in modern day Europe very well, that Robb's case is quite different from these, perhaps hinting that the North's cause is more worthwhile and admirable than some of the modern conflicts that he doesn't really understand.

Anyone else agree with my interpretation of his comment?

So how do we interpret his comment on Robb Stark wanting to gain independence for the North.

He is referred to real life examples like Catalonia (wherever that is) and he immediately says that Robb's case is different.

So he seems to indicate that while he doesn't understand some of the conflicts in modern day Europe very well, that Robb's case is quite different from these, perhaps hinting that the North's cause is more worthwhile and admirable than some of the modern conflicts that he doesn't really understand.

I took it the other way-these modern day struggles have legitimate reasons to want independence: the central government is not giving them proper attention/funds/development a la Bangladesh for instance.

Robb's giving in to Umber's request for independence was a mistake on many levels, not least of which was that Winter, when it cones strikes the North the worst and that is when fruits from the Reach and honey from the Riverlands help you survive.

As a separate country, the North'd find already difficult winters even harder to bear if it were at loggerheads with the South-his plans for independence should have been kept for pring.

Catalonia is in Spain and I'm guessing so is the interview. I think he just doesn't want to get involved in a discussion of real world politics and open a can of worms, especially in Spain where separatism is a sensitive issue. He's just pleading ignorance and diverting the discussion back to his fiction.

Is that *really* good news? I though that a year ago, he already had 200 pages. Assuming the book will be about 1200 pages, we still have 4 years to go.. xO

BUT I WANT THEM. OKAY?

Assuming he is talking about manuscript pages, taken together with his own estimate that the next book will be similar in length to A Dance with Dragons (i.e., 1500-1600 pages), the situation is actually more dire than you imagine, at least in so far as getting the book done any time soon. He's only a quarter of the way there, so far, and writing at a speed of something like 300 pages for every year (assuming the starting point of 200 pages this January).

I think he veered away from the straight-up Catalunya comparison because it's a very thorny issue in Spain, where the interview took place.

I also don't think that any independence movements in ASOIAF need to be solely inspired by contemporary events. There are plenty of historical examples of regional power vs. central power conflicts...it just so happens that some of those conflicts have endured until today.

Nope, I don't agree with your interpretation. I think GRRM took the expedient, politically correct route by not commenting or comparing modern regional independence movements with those that happen in the books. Regional independence movements are incredibly sensitive issues and I think it's reasonable for an author, who is being interviewed in a foreign country, to take the vague approach as he did. He's there to promote books and a TV show, not as a foreign political commentator.

Catalonia was never independant and part of Aragon I believe during medieval times, and later integrated into Spain under a personal union. It's different because of the recent history of that region (and of say Basque, home of ETA). Spain before WWII suffered a civil war where the fascists under Franco where victorious. Franco outlawed the Catalonian language (and I suppose the Basque language) which of course doesn't sit very well. Also, I believe Catalonia sided with the communists (or rather, the democratic elected socialst government the fascist Franco was fighting) so that also causes a rift.

Many war atrocities were commited on both sides but the conflict is best remembered as Picasso's work Guernica which depicts the fascist bombing of that town killing many civilians.

As you can imagine Catalonia isn't very fond of Spain.

The situation in ASOFAI is entirely different considering Westeros was never united and there were all these little independant kingdoms until foreign conquerer Aegon came along with his B17 Flying Fortress super weapons, bombing everyone into submission.

Is this the interview where he says that Dorne was based on both Spain and Wales? A strange combination. I am trying to think what the Welsh aspects are personally, but I'm sure GRRM's thoughts are founded in logic.

There's still a marked Celtic influence in northwestern Spain, particularly the province of Galicia, so it's not too much of a stretch.

Archived