Adria's News: G R.R. Martin Interview

Mini-mitch

Is this the interview where he says that Dorne was based on both Spain and Wales? A strange combination. I am trying to think what the Welsh aspects are personally, but I'm sure GRRM's thoughts are founded in logic.

The Welsh-if I remember my terrible history-never really liked being under the English crown. They definitely rebelled in the 1100's, with the legendary King Arthur as a rallying figure. His tomb-along with Excalibur-is said to be located there.

I guess Dawn truly is Lightbringer. :D

Is this the interview where he says that Dorne was based on both Spain and Wales? A strange combination. I am trying to think what the Welsh aspects are personally, but I'm sure GRRM's thoughts are founded in logic.

I took that to mean that they sort of have their own distinct culture within another society, which is similar to Dorne's situation in Westeros.

The Welsh-if I remember my terrible history-never really liked being under the English crown. They definitely rebelled in the 1100's, with the legendary King Arthur as a rallying figure. His tomb-along with Excalibur-is said to be located there.

King Arthur is a series of legends from the dark ages/end of the roman era Britain I think you maybe mean the glyndwr rebellion around the 13/14 century. I see a similarity with the fact both Dorne and Wales are principalities and both have different cultures from the rest of the greater kingdoms concerned. The welsh are also quite dark and swarthy when you hit the valleys boyos!

King Arthur is a series of legends from the dark ages/end of the roman era Britain I think you maybe mean the glyndwr rebellion around the 13/14 century. I see a similarity with the fact both Dorne and Wales are principalities and both have different cultures from the rest of the greater kingdoms concerned. The welsh are also quite dark and swarthy when you hit the valleys boyos!

Dorne is defacto an autonomous region while Wales has been a part of the British realm since like the 10th century and the title Prince of Wales is given to the heirs of the British throne.

ASOFAI Westeros is different from has happened in Europe and if I were the author I wouldn't want to keep making comparisons either especially when you know you can only insult people by making wrong comparisons. That we as fans do it is another matter of course. ;)

There's still a marked Celtic influence in northwestern Spain, particularly the province of Galicia, so it's not too much of a stretch.

Ah, never really knew this.

I took that to mean that they sort of have their own distinct culture within another society, which is similar to Dorne's situation in Westeros.

Yeah I can see that argument (perhaps should have myself considering I'm English). I was thinking more in terms of language (the Welsh are somewhat proud of it) and complexion diversity than their mindset.

Re King Arthur: I meant that he was a symbolic rallying figure for the Welsh- a legendary hero that symbolises their independence.

In some ways Dorne would be more like Scotland than Wales. Despite numerous wars and invasions the English never quite managed to incorporate Scotland by force, and it happened in the end only because a king of Scotland inherited the crown of England as well, i.e. because the English and Scottish royal families interbred.

Unlike Martin, I don't see much in common at all between Dorne and medieval Spain, other than the fact that they're both hot, with arid landscapes.

Dornish customs and food seem very different to those of the Spanish.

Unlike Martin, I don't see much in common at all between Dorne and medieval Spain, other than the fact that they're both hot, with arid landscapes.

Dornish customs and food seem very different to those of the Spanish.

Similarities in landscapes are enough,after all he was inspired by Spain,while creating,not copying.

Archived