Best written chapters?

Mormont'sRaven

A chapter I found to be particularly well written was Catelyns chapter in ACOK when Stannis and Renly have the parlay. There is some brilliant back and forth between the two brothers and some of the more personal insults they trade are genuinely funny, also Catelyn trying to be the voice of reason througout is genius. Her line about if they were her sons she would knock they're heads together and lock them in a room untill they reached an agreement made me chuckle.

My all time favorite chapter is the Red Wedding. The last part was so heartbreaking... :crying:

Also, I really like Jaime's chapter in Harrenhall, when he has the dreams about Aerys and the Kingsguard, and his chapter where he solves the Blackwood/Bracken dispute.

Theon Greyjoy's chapters have absolutely no comparison. Every word had me hooked. They were just so enigmatic, so up and down, so interesting and the character was such a richly developed one.

I agree. However I had to flick through AGOT to remind myself who Theon was and which of the great families he was associated with, when his POV began in ACOK. This means that he made very little impression from the POV of others. GRRM missed a trick there, because it meant I wasn't all that interested in learning about him. When I first saw that Jaime had a chapter, I was like, "YESSS! FINALLY!" That's the reaction Theon needed.

The last Dorne chapter of the AFfC. I was jumping in it's last paragraph.

i agree with this one -- great chapter, so much became clear in that one. It actually made me happy I suffered through so much "ciersi at court" nonsense for 300 pages. I also really like the Jaime chapter in AFfC where he essentially takes charge of Riverrun.

Theon's chapters in ADwD are the best written in all the series.

The Princess in the tower is my second choice. My heart skipped a beat when I read" He's been crowned with melted gold"

My third is Dracarys. Daenerys made me really think that she was selling Drogon for the unsullied. Daenerys's best chapter.

I agree. However I had to flick through AGOT to remind myself who Theon was and which of the great families he was associated with, when his POV began in ACOK. This means that he made very little impression from the POV of others. GRRM missed a trick there, because it meant I wasn't all that interested in learning about him. When I first saw that Jaime had a chapter, I was like, "YESSS! FINALLY!" That's the reaction Theon needed.

Haha, those are the precise reasons I was so damn interested in him when I first read his name. Who is Theon Greyjoy? Where does he come from, he looks like a Northerner? Who are these Ironborn? These questions needed answering =)

I agree with everyone elses. One chapter I've always been fond of is one of Sam's chapters in SOS where he slays the Other at the end. The chapter uses flashbacks intermittently to explain how Sam and the NW got overrun at the Fist of the First Men. The craziness of the wights attack, Sam's utter desperation and hopelessness ending with him killing an Other with dragonglass was just beautiful.

The Red Wedding wasn't the best for me. I was confused by what was taking place at first. In fact, it was only on third read that I understood exactly why Robb suddenly had three arrows in his chest. The 'Rains of Castamere' reference needed to be spelt out more, as I didn't at the time suddenly think Lannister. I was also confused by who had turned against the Starks until second read through.

I may be wrong, but I believe this is intentional :). I figured it's supposed to represent the chaos happening both on the dining room and in Cat's mind, with the fast descriptions and explosive development. Besides, when I read it, it dawned on me pretty much the same time as on Cat - when she grabbed mail under clothing.

As for me, I must've re-read the Red Wedding at least 6 times.

I LOVE Arya's chapters with Beric, namely because I love Beric; but out of all of them, the first is just phenomenal. His re-introduction and subsequent fight with Sandor are just plain awesome.

Daenerys conquering Astapor and her chapter in the HOTU are fantastic, as well.

Tywin's murder and the Purple Wedding are also amazing, as is the often mentioned Arianne chapter where Doran reveals his plans. It is very goosebump inducing, indeed.

ASOS and ADWD epilogues are awesome. ACOK prologue is very well done, probably the most heartbreaking chapter in all 5 books for me, which is saying something considering this character got introduced and killed off in a few pages.

The often mentioned Theon chapters in ADWD were indeed the highlights of the book :)

I suppose I like big climaxes :P Not one for the subtleties...

I LOVE Arya's chapters with Beric, namely because I love Beric; but out of all of them, the first is just phenomenal. His re-introduction and subsequent fight with Sandor are just plain awesome.

The Hound fighting Beric chapter has some of the funniest dialogue in the book. Pretty much everything Sandor says as a response to a question from the Brotherhood is hilarious.

While my favorite chapter is arguably the Ironborn's attack on the Shields, I think the chapter with Sansa and the snow castle was very poetic and beautifully written. It was so sweetly sad, so filled with a longing for the past, so innudated with innocence. And then all that got turned on its head with the subsequent events. Wonderful.

* Samwell 1 (ASoS):

Sam fell over sideways, curling up into a tight ball to protect himself from the kicks. He hardly felt them through all his wool and leather and mail, but even so, they hurt. I thought Grenn was my friend. You shouldn’t kick your friends. Why won’t they let me be? I just need to rest, that’s all, to rest and sleep some, and maybe die a little.

* The first Reek chapter

* Tyrion and Sansa on their wedding night

* Sansa building a snow castle

These are the ones that come to mind right now. The RW is also very well written.

Archived