The greyjoy fleet

Raptor503

So while I was re-reading DwD i stumbled upon this quote

"Crow's eye had left with all the strength of the iron born, with Victorian chasing after them with his tail between his legs."

So we know for a fact that the iron born are undefended and Victorian and Euron have left with all of the iron born ships and that number is about:

100 war ships (Iron Fleet)

and the unnumbered accumulation of longships that all the lords can gather which is about 500-1000. So where is Euron actually? Is he behind of Victorian? Did he ever leave? Give me your answers :)

I'm pretty sure Euron is leading the attack up the Mander towards Highgarden. Was it not him that led the attack on the Shield Islands? (I can't remember sorry, but I think this is the case).

I believe it was him leading, yes. I was also under the impression that he was leading the raids throughout the Reach, whether based specifically up the Mander or elsewhere. So in regards to the OP, yes, the Iron Islands are probably pretty open right now, though unless a fleet appears out of the Sunset Sea, they don't really need to be worried.

Arent' the Ironborn attacking places in the reach? Garlan Tyrell now lord of Brightwater keep went of to defend it. Though if you believe Euron this is just a distraction while Victarion is off dragon and bride shopping.

Genuinely not sure where Euron is though. It's between hiding near Victarion, actually raiding the Reach or more exicitingly up to more mischief somewhere else entirely.

Yeah, they're banking on nobody wanting to take the Iron Islands.

With the Greyjoy fleet divided into two and both parts very far, would it be feasible for Stannis to use Manderly's ships to take the Iron Islands and install Theon as a puppet ruler there?

Unless they can teleport, they would have to travel ~20,000 miles and pass the Redwyne fleet. Not happening, at least not while Stannis doesn't sit the Iron Throne.

Unless they can teleport, they would have to travel ~20,000 miles and pass the Redwyne fleet. Not happening, at least not while Stannis doesn't sit the Iron Throne.

Wait a second, I'm talking about Stannis dude. Stannis is not 20,000 miles away from the Iron Islands. He is in the North not South and the damn Redwyne Fleet is all the way to the other side of Westeros. Stannis can take the Iron Islands if he gets time and ships.

Wait a second, I'm talking about Stannis dude. Stannis is not 20,000 miles away from the Iron Islands. He is in the North not South and the damn Redwyne Fleet is all the way to the other side of Westeros. Stannis can take the Iron Islands if he gets time and ships.

As I said, unless the ships can teleport it's 20,000 miles. White Harbour is on the wrong side of the continent.

Well, Stannis could grind his teeth till the ships are so scared they'll run across the Neck on little wooden feet :cool4:

As I said, unless the ships can teleport it's 20,000 miles. White Harbour is on the wrong side of the continent.

Well, Stannis could grind his teeth till the ships are so scared they'll run across the Neck on little wooden feet :cool4:

Just saw a proper Westeros map. My friend's one was effed up xD Yeah, if White Harbour had not been separated from the Iron Isles by land, Stannis could've done this.

Anyhow who knows, maybe the Redwyne fleet will be occupied fighting the Ironborn under Euron Greyjoy. It would be a very Stannis (a.k.a brilliant) move to attack them while they fought, or to sail past them while they and the Iron Fleet wrecked each other. Then Stannis' might be able to sail to the Iron Isles. Not too feasible though due to the extremely good timing it would require =P

EDIT: What if Stannis waits for the weather to die down just a little bit and sends men to pick some good ships out of the water, put them on wheels and move them towards the west and launch them off the shore towards the Iron Isles xD

Just saw a proper Westeros map. My friend's one was effed up xD Yeah, if White Harbour had not been separated from the Iron Isles by land, Stannis could've done this.

Anyhow who knows, maybe the Redwyne fleet will be occupied fighting the Ironborn under Euron Greyjoy. It would be a very Stannis (a.k.a brilliant) move to attack them while they fought, or to sail past them while they and the Iron Fleet wrecked each other. Then Stannis' might be able to sail to the Iron Isles. Not too feasible though due to the extremely good timing it would require =P

EDIT: What if Stannis waits for the weather to die down just a little bit and sends men to pick some good ships out of the water, put them on wheels and move them towards the west and launch them off the shore towards the Iron Isles xD

Still 20-fucking-000 miles to cover one way, with at least three quarters of it hostile country.

Your edit would have to cover at least 200 miles through a swamp. It's impossible, plain and simple.

Actually Gents like most ships of the "time" they could be dragged over land... Or sailed through the neck, not that impossible either. The Ironborn did an ok job while under enemy fire in foreign territory.

In asnwer to the OP the entire Ironborn Naval strength excluding the Ironfleet is currently doing whatever the hell it likes along the Mander and up the coast of the reach. The Redwynes are still outnumbered but have larger, true battleships.

Also Stannis WILL win the Iron throne. After he liberates the North, takes the riverlands he'll have all the ships he'd need at Seaguard to take his third Kingdom and then with Stark Loyalists in the Vale coming to aid his Northern warden Rickon, due to Sansa... Well damn with the Reach under so much turmoil, Aegon having landing AND the lannisters strength gone, our favorate Baratheon can take over. It is known.

Actually Gents like most ships of the "time" they could be dragged over land... Or sailed through the neck, not that impossible either. The Ironborn did an ok job while under enemy fire in foreign territory.

You are off by about five centuries. Longships yes, but not multi-decked war galleys like those in White Harbour. And sailing through the Neck is flat out impossible. it actually has a higher altitude than the Twins or Riverrun, at least in parts.

In asnwer to the OP the entire Ironborn Naval strength excluding the Ironfleet is currently doing whatever the hell it likes along the Mander and up the coast of the reach. The Redwynes are still outnumbered but have larger, true battleships.

Also Stannis WILL win the Iron throne. After he liberates the North, takes the riverlands he'll have all the ships he'd need at Seaguard to take his third Kingdom and then with Stark Loyalists in the Vale coming to aid his Northern warden Rickon, due to Sansa... Well damn with the Reach under so much turmoil, Aegon having landing AND the lannisters strength gone, our favorate Baratheon can take over. It is known.

There were only a negligible amount of ships at Seaguard prior to the War of the Five Kings. Half a dozen longships or somewhere about that.

Not arguing about Stannis potential, but it won't be by massing a non-existant fleet in the Sunset Sea.

You are off by about five centuries. Longships yes, but not multi-decked war galleys like those in White Harbour. And sailing through the Neck is flat out impossible. it actually has a higher altitude than the Twins or Riverrun, at least in parts.

There were only a negligible amount of ships at Seaguard prior to the War of the Five Kings. Half a dozen longships or somewhere about that.

Not arguing about Stannis potential, but it won't be by massing a non-existant fleet in the Sunset Sea.

How many men do you think Stannis needs to ship when the Iron Islands are almost completely defenseless? Who would Thralls side with, given the chance? Theon took winterfell with 50 men, what about Pyke or Ten towers? A dozen longships is a couple of hundred men.

Also the North Use Longships like the Ironborn, at least partially. It is known. Manderly might be building a serious fleet but they do have logs to roll over say longships and maybe some larger ships. GRRM said the time period is roughly the 1500's, vikings moved their ships overland regularly almost 800 years earlier...

How many men do you think Stannis needs to ship when the Iron Islands are almost completely defenseless? Who would Thralls side with, given the chance? Theon took winterfell with 50 men, what about Pyke or Ten towers? A dozen longships is a couple of hundred men.

Five thousand? Ten thousand? More? Taking a castle is one thing (and Winterfell was a huge plot gift), holding another one. A dozen longships is about 350 men, give or take.

Also the North Use Longships like the Ironborn, at least partially. It is known. Manderly might be building a serious fleet but they do have logs to roll over say longships and maybe some larger ships. GRRM said the time period is roughly the 1500's, vikings moved their ships overland regularly almost 800 years earlier...

Yeah, they use longships for policing duties. So what? Manderleys fleet consists of war galleys capable to face the Royal Fleet (if it would still exist). And I wish you good luck rolling your ship on logs for 200 miles, let's say up to an altitude of 500 m and back down again - without roads!

The vikings moved longships short distances overland, not wargalleys thrice the seize and ten times the weight across a fucking mountain range. I can carry a canoe on my own, doesn't mean I can carry an oil tanker.

Archived