Targaryen polygamy

Dementia

I've heard several people claim that if R+L=J is true, Jon wouldn't be a bastard because the "Targaryens practiced polygamy" (if there was a secret marriage).

I'm not seeing it. I'm checking the family trees and the only polygamy I see is Aegon, Rhaenys and Visenya. Orys Baratheon was considered a bastard and that was during the same time. Daemon Blackfyre was a bastard. Aegon IV could have just secretly married Daena...

What am I missing? Who else was polygamous?

June 06, 2001

Targaryen Polygamy

First off all I want to thank you for the one of the best fantasy novels I ever read. Then I would like to ask one question: In the SOS Jora Mormont told to Dany that Aegon The Dragon had two wives and she could take two husbands. The question is if there were any other precedents of polygamy among Targaryens besides Aegon the First.

Yes, there were.

Maegor the Cruel had eight or nine wives, I seem to recall, though not all of them were simultaneous. He beheaded a few of them who failed to give him heirs, a test that all of them ultimately failed.

There might have been a few later instances as well. I'd need to look that up... (or make that up, as the case might be).

Viserys I and Aegon III had two wives each - although those were most probably consecutive, rather than simultaneous.

We don't know anything about the spouse/s of Aenys I, Viserys II, Maekar I, Aegon V and Jaeherys II.

Same goes for Daeron I - all we know is that he died married, but childless.

Why do people want him to be legit? His whole sense of self and identity is built around him being a bastard. His whole story arc is based around the Wall and Wildlings and the Others, so I don't see him suddenly leaving and laying claim to the Iron Throne. If Rhaegar and Lyanna are his parents and were married, they're both dead, and nobody has concrete evidence (that we know of), so it's only really going to effect him internally if he somehow found out. I see R+L=J as having a big impact on Jon, but a relatively small one on the overall story.

TBH is split on whether or not R+L were married. I don't want to think they were, because the whole thing is horrible for Elia and her kids, polygamy hadn't happened in generations (?) I think, and I want to believe Lyanna hadn't married a married man, but OTOH I can't explain the presence of the Kingsguard at the TOJ.

Why do people want him to be legit? His whole sense of self and identity is built around him being a bastard. His whole story arc is based around the Wall and Wildlings and the Others, so I don't see him suddenly leaving and laying claim to the Iron Throne. If Rhaegar and Lyanna are his parents and were married, they're both dead, and nobody has concrete evidence (that we know of), so it's only really going to effect him internally if he somehow found out. I see R+L=J as having a big impact on Jon, but a relatively small one on the overall story.

TBH is split on whether or not R+L were married. I don't want to think they were, because the whole thing is horrible for Elia and her kids, polygamy hadn't happened in generations (?) I think, and I want to believe Lyanna hadn't married a married man, but OTOH I can't explain the presence of the Kingsguard at the TOJ.

I for one don't necessarily want him to be legitimate, I just think he is. Based on what we know about Rhaegar he was obsessed with TPTWP. He also believed that the dragon needed three heads and Elia wasn't going to be able to give him more children. If he had any illegitimate children could they be considered "Dragons"? With that in mind it's not a stretch at all to consider he married Lyanna. He is after all the Crown Prince and can pretty much do what he wants.

I also don't think Jon is just going to walk away from the Wall and take the Iron Throne once he finds out who he is. I could see things progressing to the point where he has to take it, even if he doesn't want to.

I just cannot see Lyanna marrying Rhaegar, so I don't think that Jon could be legitimate even if they are his parents. It would just feel cheap to me for Jon to suddenly discover his long lost Targaryen side. It would change his whole character for the worse.

It's like when Tyrion was saying this:

When he was still a lonely child in the depths of Casterly Rock, he oft rode dragons through the nights, pretending he was some lost Targaryen princeling, or a Valyrian dragonlord soaring high o'er fields and mountains.

It's just a silly fantasy.

I just cannot see Lyanna marrying Rhaegar, so I don't think that Jon could be legitimate even if they are his parents. It would just feel cheap to me for Jon to suddenly discover his long lost Targaryen side. It would change his whole character for the worse.

It's like when Tyrion was saying this:

It's just a silly fantasy.

I tend to disagree. Rhaegar knew there was precedent for taking a second wife and Lyanna was still a teenager. It wouldn't be cheap for Jon to learn he is a Targaryen, it would be more along the lines of King Arthur learning of his parentage. There doesn't seem to be any reason it would change his character for worse other than being shocked at the information that ned wasn't actually his father and his paternal grandfather was Mad King Aerys who ordered the deaths of his maternal grandfather and uncle.

It would be the dragon waking from stone.

June 06, 2001

Targaryen Polygamy

First off all I want to thank you for the one of the best fantasy novels I ever read. Then I would like to ask one question: In the SOS Jora Mormont told to Dany that Aegon The Dragon had two wives and she could take two husbands. The question is if there were any other precedents of polygamy among Targaryens besides Aegon the First.

Yes, there were.

Maegor the Cruel had eight or nine wives, I seem to recall, though not all of them were simultaneous. He beheaded a few of them who failed to give him heirs, a test that all of them ultimately failed.

There might have been a few later instances as well. I'd need to look that up... (or make that up, as the case might be).

Thanks!

If Rhaegar hadn't of married Lyanna the kingsguard wouldn't have been there protecting Jon. Jon was/is their king so it is there duty to protect him at all costs, they didn't know what Ned's plans would have been. If Jon is a bastard then the Kingsguard would've been off protecting Viserys.

If Rhaegar hadn't of married Lyanna the kingsguard wouldn't have been there protecting Jon. Jon was/is their king so it is there duty to protect him at all costs, they didn't know what Ned's plans would have been. If Jon is a bastard then the Kingsguard would've been off protecting Viserys.

Nope. They *should* have been in King's Landing protecting the King Aerys.

Hightower, Whent and Dayne were Rhaegar's men, if Robert's rebellion hadn't of occurred Rhaegar would have rebelled. That's why the tourney of Harrenhal was staged. it was a great excuse to gather all the great lords in one place to convince them that Aerys wasn't fit to rule.

Yup and not to forget Aegon and Rhaenys, with Aegon being THE legitimate hair of Rhaegar BEFORE Jon in any case. I don't really care whether they were married or not, but I don't really want Jon to make a claim on the Iron Throne.. He's most of all a Stark, and should stay in the North where he belongs.

Hightower, Whent and Dayne were Rhaegar's men, if Robert's rebellion hadn't of occurred Rhaegar would have rebelled. That's why the tourney of Harrenhal was staged. it was a great excuse to gather all the great lords in one place to convince them that Aerys wasn't fit to rule.

That doesn't matter. Even if they were plotting a coup it doesn't change where they *should* have been. Not to mention that Aegon would have preceded Jon.

hat is what Varys told Aerys, we're not sure if it is actually true. The only thing we know for (almost) sure is that Rhaegar wanted to make changes, cause Selmy or Jon Con (?) said as much. I find them more reliable than Varys..

Yea to me thinking that Jon is legit is wishful thinking just because you like him,now don't get me wrong I love Jon he is amazing but he is a bastard through and through , thats what makes him awesome. Right now Dany is the only legit Targaryen and as I have read, she will continue to be the only legit Targ.

Not unless they were order by Aerys to go with Rhaegar. In which case Rhaegar could have ordered them to stay at the TOJ, and if Aerys had no knowledge they were there, then he could never have ordered them to leave.

Jon has grown up much the better for being a bastard, he comes to the realization of hard truths much quicker than say Robb or Sansa. Maester Luwin said bastards grow up much quicker.

As evidenced by Jon's direwolf, Ghost, maturing faster than the others as evidenced by being the only pup with his eyes open

Jon is a bastard. He can be legitimized via the Stark line but i do not see things moving with the Targ line [ if true]. Reed is the only proof and he has no proof other than his word. The realm is at war, I don't see many people journeying to the wall to legitimize undead Jon.

Archived