Outcome of the battle for Slavers Bay?

kingowinter

I'm guessing the Iron Fleet will smash any fleet that the Yunkai/Volantenes will be using. Then Selmy and his mixed army will light that beacon and attack. This should essentially break the Yunkai'i.

Whether they will bind a dragon to the horn or even if they need the dragon's to win this battle is up in the air for me.

I can't wait for Moqorro to go over to Daenarys and start helping her out. With his invaluably accurate visions, she could root out the sons of the harpy and any other traitors. Then she could easily march to finish Yunkai and retake Astapor, easily winning her Slaver's Bay. Plus she'll have Dothraki, Ironmen and tamed dragons doing her bidding, result!

Then....

ITS WESTEROS TIME BABY

• 5 months later...

I agree with the Frost Wolf.

I'm guessing the Iron Fleet will smash any fleet that the Yunkai/Volantenes will be using, although based on WoW chapters I believe that the Ironmen fight the enemy on land too. Selmy and his mixed army will light that beacon and attack. This will most likely break the Yunkai'i.

I personally don't believe that the Horn will come into play, I think they're saving that for Westeros.

I too can't wait for Moqorro to go over to Daenarys and start helping her out. I'm also anxious to see the Mage reach her and tell her of Maester Aemon, the prophecy and give her invaluable help also. With all of these chips falling into place, I think Dany will go straight to Westeros. Why bother smashing Yunkai and taking Slaver's Bay? Westeros is where she should be.

Edit: Typo.

Oh she'll win. Thats never been in question and such plot armor is probably why Martin took her out Mereen.

Dany is not going to Westeros. She still needs to become the Stallion that Mounts the World, get a huge Dothraki Khalessar and conquer Essos. Go to Volantis and free the slaves there; as well as meet the fire worshippers. Get revenge on all the Ghiscari cities in slavers bay and Qaarth. This all assumes that Braavos, who is already militarily and financially backing Stannis Baratheon; does not also oppose her on account of her having dragons.

If Martin just wanted her in Westeros ala Aegon all he had to do was have the Dragons grow up faster; she wouldn't even have needed the Unsullied. He clearly has had this slavery subplot, the fire worshippers and kept her Dothraki tagging along with her (in the show Jorah even says crypticlly "you will have a Khalessar of your own when you're ready") unless this became something he wanted resolved. All three of these portray Dany as a prophesied or messianic figure. I do not understand the need for this and I think doing all of this in Winds of Winter is too tall an order; but I think this is what hes going to do.

So ultimately the battle will be indecisive because as we saw with Yunkai the first time, the slavers can just recruit more armies and soldiers; they can find more allies and people willing to face Daenerys. Even if she killed 100,000 enemy soldiers at Mereen (Volantis alone is 50000 and somebody said New Ghis has 24,000), there would still be a lot more enemies to kill and more would arise as they did before. In fact its very likely that her victory would create a panic among the remaining neutral slaver states like Qohor (who have an army of Unsullied), Norvos (army of Areo Hotahs), Lys, Pentos and Myr; even Braavos. Not to mention every Dothraki Khalessar because they are slavers and like facing a worthy opponent.

Off topic speculation: Could Dany's fire tollerance (not resistance, don't flame on me) and her blood-of-the-Dragon going to allow her to blow the horn without dying?

Moqorro translates the Valyrian glyphs on the horn as claiming that no mortal shall sound it and live. Considering this instruction/warning came from the Valyrians, the ethnicity of the Targaryens, I'm not sure why we'd expect Dany to have immunity from it.

Moqorro translates the Valyrian glyphs on the horn as claiming that no mortal shall sound it and live. Considering this instruction/warning came from the Valyrians, the ethnicity of the Targaryens, I'm not sure why we'd expect Dany to have immunity from it.

I thought it said "any man"? TBH I don't see the need for the Horn as regards Dany herself. Her ancestors did it without needing the horn and those dragons were a lot bigger than hers and shes a better Targ than the lot of them. Plus I don't see the dragons going awol. ONE of them, MAY, have killed A child and most likely by accident even if it did since we never hear another report of a child being killed despite the length of time Drogon is in the countryside. They're hardly burning down whole towns and devouring hundreds of innocents daily as some seem to imply.

Some don't have spell-check, some speak different languages, some don't care.

"Victarion" cannot be corrected by spell-check, it's a first name from a fantasy series.

And I highly doubt that speaking a different language will affect the way you spell first names.

I will take the "I don't care" excuse though, but to me, it's as teeth-grinding inducing as people writing Jon Snow as John Snow.

I thought it said "any man"?

I am Dragonbinder, No Mortal man should sound me and live, Blood for Fire, Fire for Blood

TBH I don't see the need for the Horn as regards Dany herself. Her ancestors did it without needing the horn and those dragons were a lot bigger than hers and shes a better Targ than the lot of them.

Did they? We don't exactly have confirmation of that. Controlling dragons via horns may well be a secret to controlling their dragons the Targaryens hid from the rest of Westeros for obvious reasons.

In fact, Valyrian civilisation as a whole may be based on using dragon horns. After all, the Dragonbinder, Euron's horn, is of Valyrian make.

Plus I don't see the dragons going awol. ONE of them, MAY, have killed A child and most likely by accident even if it did since we never hear another report of a child being killed despite the length of time Drogon is in the countryside. They're hardly burning down whole towns and devouring hundreds of innocents daily as some seem to imply.

I think this is less to do with the fact that Drogon loses his taste for man flesh, and more to do with the fact that after they attempt to catch him, he flees to the Dothraki Sea where Daenerys would not receive reports of Drogon killing people/causing chaos.

In fact, Valyrian civilisation as a whole may be based on using dragon horns. After all, the Dragonbinder, Euron's horn, is of Valyrian make.

It was said that valyrians rode the dragons using witchcraft and magical made horns

That was kind of a turn off to me because I used to think they tamed the dragons only by will lol

I can't imagine that Dany will benefit from use of the horn. This would render the horn an uneccesary plot device. Dany can already control the dragons. She has a few problems with Drogon, but these problems didn't really appear until around the same time that we're introduced to the horns. I just can't believe that GRRM would invent a contrived problem (Drogon is out of control) while simultaneously creating a contrived solution (the horn) instead of taking the much more parsimonious approach of introducing neither element.

My pet (crackpot?) theory is that the horns actually kill dragons or weaken them (giving a different meaning to the word "bind"). In this scenario, GRRM would have introduced the horn as a plot device to show Euron's long term plan to get rid of the threat posed by Dany. Victarion is the unwitting puppet in this scenario. Drogon was sent to the Dothraki sea to avoid his death, and the child eating elements were added to make this realistic. Dany will end up with one dragon instead of three, and all of the people dreaming about Bran and Tyrion riding dragons will be dissapointed.

Victarion himself says he cannot take on the Volantene fleet.

"the only way to do this is to take the slavers unawares, as once I did at Lannisport. Sweep in from the sea and smash them, then take the girl and race for home before the Volantenes descend upon us.” Victarion was no craven, but no more was he a fool; he could not defeat three hundred ships with fifty-four.

So I doubt Victarion will destroy the Volantene fleet together with the Qartheen fleet unless he gets himself a dragon.

As for the land battle - that will probably be decided by the Dothraki.

"Victarion" cannot be corrected by spell-check, it's a first name from a fantasy series.

And I highly doubt that speaking a different language will affect the way you spell first names.

I will take the "I don't care" excuse though, but to me, it's as teeth-grinding inducing as people writing Jon Snow as John Snow.

I honestly did not expect a response....

Different languages and localization will play a part in how a person will perceive a sentence or the structure of a word. Moreover, a when a person sees a name or word spelt differently they may not notice and substitute a what they believe the word to be. If I were to make a mistake and someone does not notice it, but still recognizes what I meant, means their brain is filling in the meaning. And if a person takes the time they can set up their spell-check to remember the spelling of words such as Victarion. But really, most people will know what the person means when I say "Victorian is about as bright as a stump".

As to the outcome... Any outcome concerning the "victor" may be very fleeting. Whomever wins will have to hope the dragons don't burn everything to ass, as the outcome is very dependent on whether they move to attack anything.

As to the outcome... Any outcome concerning the "victor" may be very fleeting. Whomever wins will have to hope the dragons don't burn everything to ass, as the outcome is very dependent on whether they move to attack anything.

That is very true. May I ask, do you believe that Dany will go to Meereen? Or, like many, do you simply not care? :)

That is very true. May I ask, do you believe that Dany will go to Meereen? Or, like many, do you simply not care? :)

I don't feel like grinding my face on a cheese grater if someone spells Victarion as "Victorian", though I do care about the outcome of the battle as it is likely to determine the fate of the two dragons and the well being of the people that Dany freed. In some small way I want to hear about those squires of Barristan's and if they manage to inspire their people. However, I don't care to see Dany going back to pretend she is a queen of that city.

Honestly I see Ironborn victory ahead. It'd be a bit needless from a plot perspective to build all this up just to have Euron's plans crushed by Volantis/Yunkai, and from a in-world perspective the Iron Fleet is probably more battle-hardened in naval combat then those of the Free Cities.

Honestly I see Ironborn victory ahead. It'd be a bit needless from a plot perspective to build all this up just to have Euron's plans crushed by Volantis/Yunkai, and from a in-world perspective the Iron Fleet is probably more battle-hardened in naval combat then those of the Free Cities.

The Ironborn will smash any fleet the slavers send. No real reason for thinking this but I've wondered if the horn will summon Drogon, leaving Dany to be taken as captive to Vaes Dothrak. Drogon will later return to her somehow and she will smoke the Dothraki into following her.

Archived