Barristan and Illyrio

Imp Riker

At the moment he left KL he probably hadn't heard about Viserys' death yet. He's telling Dany his motives for leaving Westeros. When he found out Viserys was dead (probably through Illyrio) he went looking for Dany

Correct. Barrstan was dismissed in Sansa V of Game. Joffrey got details of Viserys's execution in Sansa I of Clash.

Barristan would not have gone to Varys. Afterall the rot in Aerys's court began with the eunuch. Moreover Barristan surely would have assumed that Varys would sell him to his presumed master King Joffrey not realizing that Varys was working for Illyrio. Jorah knew; so did JonCon; but Barristan did not. If Barristan had known he would not have trusted Illyrio.

I think Cersei was behind Barristsn's removal. Varys probably saw this as a dumb move for the same reason Tywin did and kept his mouth shut happy to see Cersei blunder.

Barristan would not have gone to Varys. Afterall the rot in Aerys's court began with the eunuch. Moreover Barristan surely would have assumed that Varys would sell him to his presumed master King Joffrey not realizing that Varys was working for Illyrio. Jorah knew; so did JonCon; but Barristan did not. If Barristan had known he would not have trusted Illyrio.

I think Cersei was behind Barristsn's removal. Varys probably saw this as a dumb move for the same reason Tywin did and kept his mouth shut happy to see Cersei blunder.

In aCoK Cesei admits that it was Varys who suggested that Barristan was removed from the KG, since Joffrey wanted to blame someone for Roberts death. So it was Varys after all :)

In aCoK Cesei admits that it was Varys who suggested that Barristan was removed from the KG, since Joffrey wanted to blame someone for Roberts death. So it was Varys after all :)

Well there you go! I still can't imagine that Ser Barristan the Bold would have sought succor from Varys.

Well there you go! I still can't imagine that Ser Barristan the Bold would have sought succor from Varys.

No no, you missed something in previous posts.

It was Varys who convinced Cersei and Joffrey to dismiss Barristan from the KG.

However, since Barristan has stated on two or three occasions how he mistrusts Varys, it is most highly unlikely that he contacted Varys about finding Viserys and Dany, or that Varys contacted him, since Varys would have known that Barristan didn't trust him.

Barristan saw how Eddard Stark lost his head and went to rethink the last 15 years of his life. he came to the conclusion that Robert and Joffrey were terrible kings, and decided he wanted to serve the only true king of the seven kingdoms. Westeros didn't know at that moment that Viserys was already death.

Barristan had sat in the small council meetings, and there Dany and Viserys had been discussed, as had their stay at Illyrio's mansion. So Barristan knew where one of Viserys' and Dany's last known positions was. He reasoned that if he could find Illyrio, Illyrio could help him find Viserys. It was Illyrio who shared the news that Viserys was death, and that Dany had declared herself queen. Next, Illyrio helped Barristan find Dany.

So Barristan didn't go to Varys for help, even though it's thanks to Varys that he had gotten the oppertunity and motivation to rethink his life and turn his life all around.

Just remember that Barristan tells Dany several times that Varys shouldn't be trusted. Barristan does not like Varys at all :)

Barristan could even have found Illyrio without Varys I think. Taking a ship from KL to the Free Cities, Pentos is the natural place to stop at as it is closest to KL. (I think?) Once he arrives there and begins his search for Viserys and Dany, it is only a matter of time before he is pointed in the direction of Illyrio

whats interesting is that Illyrio sent him to Dany and not Aegon. I think it would make more sense

Barristan did kill Maelys the Monstrous the last Blackfyre pretender and leader of the Golden Company so it might have been a mistake to hook him up with Aegon and the Golden Company. Also Dany was in more of a need for a bodyguard then Aegon who nobody knew existed.

Yesn that's the way I see it too. 100 percent. Thanks for remindimg me that Varys suggested Barristan--but this was still after Joff wanted somebody gone so he could put a white cloak on his dog, no?

Yes and no. Joffrey wanted someone to punish for Roberts death. We find out later on that he craved for Roberts approval more than Cersei had ever realised, and when Robert died, he was furious. He just wanted to be able to punish someone. Dismissing Selmy from the KG gave Joff the chance to add Sandor Clegane to the KG, and we know he was very fond of Sandor.

If Varys was involved in pointing Barristan towards Ilyrio, he could have done it very subtly, through cutouts, without actually contacting Barristan himself. Barristan had a huge name, and the news that he had been dismissed from the KG and killed a couple of gold cloaks wouldn't have circulated very far, there being no CNN in Westoros, so I think there was plenty of time for Varys to connect Barristan with the right ship captain and send him in the right direction with the right information.

If Varys was involved in pointing Barristan towards Ilyrio, he could have done it very subtly, through cutouts, without actually contacting Barristan himself. Barristan had a huge name, and the news that he had been dismissed from the KG and killed a couple of gold cloaks wouldn't have circulated very far, there being no CNN in Westoros, so I think there was plenty of time for Varys to connect Barristan with the right ship captain and send him in the right direction with the right information.

That all depends on whether or not Varys was capable of recognizing Barristans disguise. It's not entirely impossible of course

Archived