Do you think we will get a gift chapter for Christmas?

Ice Turtle

Ok so there was to be another sample chapter of WOW, that was meant to be released in the new paperback version of DWD. However I think the sample chapter that released in the paperback was just Theon's chapter. I can't find a anything saying this sample chapter was meant to be a Sansa chapter, so perhaps I dreamed it.

GRRM: Well, I've posted a preview on my website, so you can read one chapter there, and there will be another chapter in the paperback of A Dance with Dragons when that comes out in the summer. So, you'll get two free chapters. After that, it's going to be awhile. Obviously, I'm going to continue the story. There were a lot of cliffhangers at the end of A Dance with Dragons. Those will be resolved very early. I'm going to open with the two big battles that I was building up to, the battle in the ice and the battle at Meereen—the battle of Slaver's Bay. And then take it from there.

EDIT:

Well according to the Westeros Wiki site a Sansa POV chapter was taken out of Dance to be used in Winds of Winter.

I hope his present to us will be to tell us that he'll finish the book next year.....I know, unlikely, but I can hope, can't I?

You shouldnt.

If we had gotten a gift chapter each xmas waiting for adwd or affc we'd have half a book.

Rome wasn't built in a day. I'd rather GRRM take 5 years to get everything right and release an awesome book, than do a sub par rush job in 2 years. There is till quite a lot hopefully coming out next year to enjoy such as Land of Ice and Fire, I'd be quite happy for an extract from that for Christmas.

I wonder what's up with the constant paperback delays? I can understand syncing up its release with HBO's latest season, but the latest push to late May doesn't gel with that.

Paperbacks cost less.

GRRM confirmed in August about the reasons for the paperback delays.

Yes, this was a big part of the reason. Booksellers deluged Bantam with requests to delay the mass market, since the hardcover is still selling so strongly.

And we do listen to our booksellers. (Mostly) - GRRM Aug. 12th, 2012 05:21 pm - Not a Blog

Rome wasn't built in a day. I'd rather GRRM take 5 years to get everything right and release an awesome book, than do a sub par rush job in 2 years. There is till quite a lot hopefully coming out next year to enjoy such as Land of Ice and Fire, I'd be quite happy for an extract from that for Christmas.

Sorry I disagree George RR Martin is very capable of releasing good books in a decent amount of time.

Example:

Game of Thrones 1996

A Clash of Kings 1999

A Storm of Swords 2000

From ACOK to ASOS only took 1 year and in my opinion is probably one of the best books in the series, and the 2 weakest books in the series took 5-6 years to write. So more time doesn't automatically mean that GRRM will produce a better book.

That's true. Also, he already had a lot of TWOW written already, since some of it was supposed to be in ADWD originally. Granted, he has so many other things that he's working on, that it probably will take a long time, but he is capable of writing it in a shorter amount of time.

Sorry I disagree George RR Martin is very capable of releasing good books in a decent amount of time.

Example:

Game of Thrones 1996

A Clash of Kings 1999

A Storm of Swords 2000

From ACOK to ASOS only took 1 year and in my opinion is probably one of the best books in the series, and the 2 weakest books in the series took 5-6 years to write. So more time doesn't automatically mean that GRRM will produce a better book.

ACoK to ASoS publication was actually nearly 2 years. ACoK was 1st published in the UK in Nov 1998 - US edition March 1999. ASoS: UK Aug 2000 - US Nov 2000. I believe he also had a lot more of a head start on the first three books from what I recall. Elio or maybe Wert could recall in more detail, I'm sure.

ACoK to ASoS publication was actually nearly 2 years. ACoK was 1st published in the UK in Nov 1998 - US edition March 1999. ASoS: UK Aug 2000 - US Nov 2000. I believe he also had a lot more of a head start on the first three books from what I recall. Elio or maybe Wert could recall in more detail, I'm sure.

Martin apparently had written a lot of the plotlines in decent detail up to and through the Red Wedding in a layout format even as he worked on AGOT, so naturally the first two sequels came a lot quicker: He already had the key pieces of a rough draft in place.

I don't begrudge the man taking 2-3 years between books. But if, say, J.K. Rowling could have a baby while writing a similarly long Harry Potter book in less time frame, he has no excuse to wait it out for another 5 years. Plus, he's 64 years old and has a TV show chasing him down from behind like he's a fat NFL lineman who just recovered a fumble and is trying to outrun a safety to the end zone.

In short, his silence on progress lately is a good sign and I'm sure he's aware that if he wants to finish the series then he has time to go.

Plus, there's no 5 year gap or Meereenese knot to deal with this time......I hope.

OMG I just checked that Bantam site a week ago and it was March 26th. I even checked my calendar and I'm off that day (teacher-spring break :cheers: ). May 28th is Labor Day, can't wait.

I WAS going to say that he probably wouldn't give a sample chapter for Christmas because we're getting one 3 months later, but now that it's not til May, maybe he releases on one his site. Hopefully one that he's already read, but the full chapter.

Archived