What "bad guy" do you feel sorry for?

Feralwolfchild

How is stannis a villain? He is fighting freys, and boltons. Saved the north from wildlings and saved deepwood mott from ironborn. What has he ever done to be classified as a villain?

If it matters, I really don't like Stannis, but he's obviously not a villain, he actually is trying to help the realm. (Though he hasn't been too sucessful..but that's another topic altogether...)

I'm so busted, I wrote that knowing at any moment you and E-Ro would be showing up LOL. In my defense I was just agreeing with the poster though.

Stannis= :thumbsdown:

I'm out!!!!! :leaving:

Everything he has done has been for the good of the realm. That hardly makes him bad.

When Stannis whined about people not praising the taste of his shit he clearly did not know about this message board.

When did he ever do that? You are the quote master I want that quote as soon as possible :P

If it matters, I really don't like Stannis, but he's obviously not a villain, he actually is trying to help the realm. (Though he hasn't been too sucessful..but that's another topic altogether...)

Thank you. But he has been succesful saving the realm from renlys horrible rule and the north from the depredations of the wildlings as well he saved lady glover and her people from the ironborn.

Really? Are you picking up were Queen Cersei I left off?

No. I genuinely feel sorry for her, especially after the WoS.

ETA: I also stated "by far" because I don't feel sorry for any other characters who can be considered straight-up villains--Gregor, Ramsay, Roose, almost all Freys, Craster, the Brave Companions...

Thank you. But he has been succesful saving the realm from renlys horrible rule and the north from the depredations of the wildlings as well he saved lady glover and her people from the ironborn.

Its true Renly wouldn't have made a very good king but he would be a better king than Robert for sure. Like Robert relied on Jon Arryn to rule the Iron Throne, Renly would rely on another person like Mace Tyrell and would get educated on the position.

I still have to admit Stannis would be a great king.

Call me crazy, but I kind of feel sorry for Ramsey. Unlike a lot of the villains in these books, he has the defense of being totally insane. And I suspect he may be the only person in the entire North who doesn't kow that he's not really married to a princess.

Actually, maybe I just prefer him to his father, who is just pure cold, black-hearted evil.

Its hella difficult for me too, but i can see why people could pity Cersei here, mostly for the nature of the punishment. But i do stand by that the Walk was a very important character development vehicle for Cersei.

Dammit Florina! No offense, but can you stick with an avatar pic for more then 5 days?

The WoS was fitting for her, she was making enemies in people she needed as allies and is destroying her house. After what she made Qyburn do to the blue bard I refuse to feel any pity for her.

It wasn't fitting. She was sentenced to the WoS for having affairs after she was widowed. It was a misogynistic punishment. No men in the series, most of whom have sex outside of marriage, had to take the WoS. Not saying she doesn't deserve to be held accountable for her many crimes, but the punishment needs to fit the crime. And Cersei's one and only punishment to date is for something not even criminal.

My feelings toward Cersei are complex and I find her story more tragic than villainous. But I'm certainly not a Cersei apologist. Just answering the OP.

This is off topic, but to me, the Lannisters siblings are the most important family to me, in terms of society and how it affects people, because they are direct representations of how the society of Westeros shapes and affects individuals. Cersei, even though she's a bit wacko on her own, has been shaped by the fact that she was born in a patriarchal society where women are disadvantaged from the get-go and are considered 'less' than men. Tyrion has been shaped by how people in Westeros look down on him because he is physically unappealing and because of his physical defects, as a result Tyrion has become arguably one of the most intelligent of the highborn in Westeros. Jaime, is different from his siblings because he is like a WASP of Westeros. He's fair-haired, handsome, a skilled swordsman and he was trained to be a lord, but now he's lost his hand and he has basically lost most of his value to society, (in Westerosi terms). So yeah....

Just my thoughts, its probably been discussed about before. :ohwell:

Need to judge villainy by the criteria of the middle ages NOT by the standards of today

But

In order of horror

Any one who tortures for pleasure

Ramsay

Qyburn

The goat

Roose???

Any one who kills a child just for their own personal gain

Jaime

Cersai

Joffrey

Theon