Confessions...Say What! V.9

Winter's Knight

Yes, yes i know your reputation, just don't kill me!!

Oh heavens, I thought I was very nice! Firm when needed, good at pointing out logical fallacies, and it takes several posts of continued lunacy to set me into "blood" mode. I feel kind of bad that I've paralyzed you with fear. I still get to say anything I want about Dany now.

Wow that would almost be as effeminate as Butterbumbs's profile picture LOL

But I'm a girl.

I'm honestly not into the Targ look one iota and never thought Rhaegar was attractive. I draw the line at men with long silver hair, and the purple eyes really puts it over the edge of being taken seriously for me. He was also a bit dainty for my taste, I feel.

I like both manly men and more sensitive guys. Long hair really makes my soup come to a boil.

Where I get confused with shipping is when I see two characters who are extremely unlikely to interact or ever even meet getting shipped together. I wonder what the point is. It ain't gonna happen so why waste time on it. That's what always throws me. (If you see this WK, please don't hurt me! I'm sorry).

Oh yer talking about the Ships That Pass In The Night phenomenon. I hate that. Thats when people ship characters who never met. I admit i do this only on the greatest of occasions.

Seriously. Or pictured with a rainbow and a unicorn on a Lisa Frank Trapper Keeper.

Are you telling me you never owned one of those? This is a confessions thread, no need to hide from your fellows. :P

Actually, Ned melts my butter more than Rhaegar does.

I didn't know what the terms meta, shipping, or stanning meant before coming to this forum. I've had shipping explained to me a few times and I'm still not entirely sure I get it. As for stanning, I once got in to the middle of a discussion on SanStans and thought it was some theory about Stannis and made myself look like a bit of an idiot. Meta confuses me at times cause I see the term used in different ways.

I am not fandom savvy.

--edit because I can't seem to keep words straight at times.

Meta is often used in philosophy (yep, BA in philosophy). Think of it like this: if we were studying ethics, we would be studying "shoulds'" as in--what should one do (in order to be good)?

If we were studying meta ethics we would want to go to the foundation of the study of ethics and first decide what constitutes goodness? Is the property of "goodness" defined the same way as the definition of a table--four legs and a top? (A matter of an "if->then" formula? If it has 4 legs & a top, then it is a table?) Necessary and finite traits? Or do we need to discern its definition in a different, more robust way?

Meta ethics also includes the study of moral judgements, such as moral relativism.

So, think of meta on the board as "beyond," "foundation for," or "about" that argument.

"Beyond" is like metaphysics--beyond all things physical, is there something else, like god. Foundation would be like meta ethics.

"About" would be like meta ethics insofar as it relates to semantics/definitions of terms like goodness. AKA, arguing "about" the argument. In other words, if someone is questioning RLJ's possible impact in the story, a meta argument would be about the fact that the impact will depend on GRRM's intention. So, in this context, it's moving an "in universe" discussion outside of the universe.

Oh heavens, I thought I was very nice! Firm when needed, good at pointing out logical fallacies, and it takes several posts of continued lunacy to set me into "blood" mode. I feel kind of bad that I've paralyzed you with fear. I still get to say anything I want about Dany now.

But I'm a girl.

So? It's still very effeminate!

Where I get confused with shipping is when I see two characters who are extremely unlikely to interact or ever even meet getting shipped together. I wonder what the point is. It ain't gonna happen so why waste time on it. That's what always throws me. (If you see this WK, please don't hurt me! I'm sorry).

Maybe it's the giggly teenager in me, but I think it's fun. Like in the Art thread, I saw the depictions of grown-up Rickon with Shireen, and I was all like "That? Is AWESOME!" Now are Rickon and Shireen likely to meet? Maybe 50/50 chance. Will they look twice at each other? Probably not, Rickon will be 6 at the most when he gets back. But the idea is all OMG so cuuuute!

I like both manly men and more sensitive guys. Long hair really makes my soup come to a boil.

Oh yer talking about the Ships That Pass In The Night phenomenon. I hate that. Thats when people ship characters who never met. I admit i do this only on the greatest of occasions.

Are you telling me you never owned one of those? This is a confessions thread, no need to hide from your fellows. :P

Actually, Ned melts my butter more than Rhaegar does.

Actually- no. And I laughed at people who did. I was a design snob even then.

You have the best colorful sayings.

Sensitive guys are one thing, but Rhaegar strikes me as the sort who would want to do nothing but talk about feelings, watch the Notebook while we scrapbook together, and be an altogether sappy mess, for which I have no patience. On top of this, I don't find him aesthetically pleasing. I guess you could say he's just not my type.

So? It's still very effeminate!

It's Jester Kirby. It's kind of genderless. Why does everyone hate that picture? It does make sense for someone who's screen name is Butterbumps.

I'm just waiting to see when Butterbumps releases her Dany hate.

I was just screwing around with Walrus the boy wonder for the Mance sacrilege. I don't particularly like her, but there's no point beating a dead horse about it.

:( Man, at 8 years old, unicorn Trapper Keepers were the shit.

Har. I do admit i like myself some stoic guys. Its probably why Ned is my type. :leer: Long hair, beard, and stoic. Bring it!

whoa whoa- I said nothing about long hair and beards, lol.

OMG.....you're back. I missed you so. I'll overlook this oversight on your part in my joy at your return.

Thanks :) I missed you back! Hope I didn't miss out on any LLL sightings in my absence.

And I also have love for Mance, as far as Kings in these books go, he's probably the best.*

*But Stannis will always be King of my funny bone

Archived