What action got Eddard Stark killed ?

direwolf_of_white_fangs

Ned was beheaded by Joff's order. The first dramatic event perhaps to happen in ASOIAF.

But what action you think really made him literally loose his head?

Was it Sansa when she naively and angry with her father informed Cersei about Ned's plans to escape KL with his daughters?

Was it Littlefinger and the GoldCloaks betrayal? LF could have supported Ned. What if Ned accepted LF council ?

Declaring open war on the Lannisters and defying Cersei and Tywin ?

The curse of the King's hand?

Ned's stubborn and arrogant behaviour ?

Anything else?

Ned was beheaded by Joff's order. The first dramatic event perhaps to happen in ASOIAF.

But what action you think really made him literally loose his head?

Was it Sansa when she naively and angry with her father informed Cersei about Ned's plans to escape KL with his daughters?

Was it Littlefinger and the GoldCloaks betrayal? LF could have supported Ned. What if Ned accepted LF council ?

Declaring open war on the Lannisters and defying Cersei and Tywin ?

The curse of the King's hand?

Ned's stubborn and arrogant behaviour ?

Anything else?

All of the above, I guess? To be honest, I'm not sure there was really a way for Ned to get out of King's Landing unhurt, at least not after he found out about the incest and decided to warn Cersei about it. There were far too many players in the game working to cause chaos, and Ned didn't help things by being so stubborn about his honor. I think Ned had a lot of chances to get a better deal than "conviced of treason and executed" though, and I think the last nail went into his coffin when he refused Renly's help in taking the Lannister kids hostage.

It was not Sansa's fault let's clear the air on that first. Ned never struck me as arrogant either, definitely naive. I think his own decision making got him killed, when your hand is in the mouth of the lion you should ease it out. Ned learned the hard way that nice guys finish last.

It was not Sansa's fault let's clear the air on that first. Ned never struck me as arrogant either, definitely naive. I think his own decision making got him killed, when your hand is in the mouth of the lion you should ease it out. Ned learned the hard way that nice guys finish last.

I don't see Ned as being Naive, maybe too honorable, too good and noble for the dirt going around him.

I think if Sansa wouldn't have whispered at Cersei's ears, by the time Cersei knew what was going on Ned and the girls would be safe in a ship on their way to Winterfell.

As much as I don't like blaming her she naively acted as a spy and ruined Ned's escape plan.

I think they'd've been caught either way. I don't think that Sansa telling Cersei caused anything that wasn't already going to happen.

I think they'd've been caught either way. I don't think that Sansa telling Cersei caused anything that wasn't already going to happen.

Page 59 of ACOK (paperback) Cersei says "Eddard Stark was plotting with Renly and he'd written to Lord Stannis, offering him the throne. We might have lost all. Even so, it was a close thing. If Sansa hadn't come to me and told me all her father's plans..."

Archived