Alternate Overlords for the Seven Kingdoms

Pod The Impaler

The North - Houe Glover. I don't think Mandely is a good option since they used to be a southern house and they keep the faith of the seven, the North is quite proude about their traditions.

The Reach - House Hightower: they have the power, prestige, gold and lands to be a Great House, and they control the oldest city in Westeros.

The Riverlands - Mallister: And older and prestigious House, they were one of the few houses that didn't fell against the Lannisters (they and the Frey)

The Vale - Royce: Again one of the oldest houses, they can trace their line to the first mens, everyone in Westeros know them as a houe of great honor, control a great army, and I asume they're very whealty too.

The Iron Islands - Harlaw: Control a whole isle, and they're the richest and probably the most powerful house in the Iron Islands.

The Westerlands - Crakenhall maybe, we don't really know much of the small houses from the Westerlands.

The Stormlands - Swann: for the little we know, they have good warriors, some kind of honor, and they are powerful and respected in the area

Dorne - Yronwood:

Bonus question: The Iron Throne (crownlands I guess?): Lord Bronn Stokeworth :P

Edit: spelling

You asked about Lords to hold the positions, but most seem to be simply naming houses. I will be naming the houses I feel best suited to/most deserving of the positions (not specific to the WoFK era, but more in general).

The North - Hate the Boltons, Karstarks are pretty far from the heartland in such a large area though. Winterfell has a wonderful position in the center of the North. Manderly has the wealth and strength, not the prestige and respect though. I don't truly see a feasible alternative to the Starks. If Ryswell's and Dustin's are always as close as they are in the WoFK era then potentially a scion of those houses could have support from a large portion of the western lands.

The Reach - Florents may have a claim but they are too weak, honestly it has to be the Hightowers in my opinion. Rowans and Redwyne's are options if the Hightowers weren't there.

The Riverlands - Would love to see Mallisters or Blackwoods here, we don't get a good idea of the strength of the southern and western Riverlords after Cleganes rampage.

The Vale - I think the Royce's have to be almost unanimous here.

The Iron Islands - Got to go with the Harlaws, the only Iron Islands house that really stuck out after the Greyjoys.

The Westerlands - Marbrand seems impressive from the novels (Partially due to the relationship Jaime has with Addam I would think), however the Crakehalls seem more powerful historically and more prestigious as well.

The Stormlands - Swann, I've seen several (non-canon afaik) sources listing them as the second most powerful house in the Stormlands and they do seem fairly well positioned enough that it could be reasonable. Will confess I am biased as Balon Swann is one of my favored minor characters. Should GRRM clarify the power structure in the Stormlands in the future House Caron is the other that I see as being as the strongest or best suited as Lords of the Stormlands.

Dorne - Yronwood - Formerly Kings before Martells tied the knot with Nymeria and the Rhoynar. Head of House retains title of "the Bloodroyal", second most powerful house in Dorne, etc.

North - No one but a Stark can rule the North, try as the Boltons might

Vale - House Royce seems to be the only other house with sufficent respect

Riverlands - Anyone with enough backing, there is no great history of a house ruling this region

Westerlands - The Marbrands seem the most competant, while the Leffords seem to be the richest. I would take the Marbrands.

Reach - Hightowers have the power to rule, Lord Rowan seems competant and the Florents have the best claim. Alester Florent seemed intelligent, with the exception of forgetting he was working for Stannis (he does not bend). His brother and niece give him a bad name.

Stormlands - There really is not a good alternative to the Baratheons in terms of other houses. Just legitimize Edric and go on.

Dorne - The Yronwoods are the obvious choice.

Iron Throne - Alternate? To Tommen? Stannis Baratheon

North - Manderly are a great house and the most richest in The North but there gods are wrong :ack: , so Glower or Karstark , scratch a Karstark and you get a Stark :cool4:

Riverlands - Malister

Westerlands - The Lannister of Lanisport ( Devan The Warden of The West )

Iron Islands - Harlaw ( the only house with some brains )

Vale - Royce

Crownlands - House Rykker

Reach - Hightower

Stormlands - Dondarrion or Penrose

Dorne - Yronwood

The North- Boltons or perhaps the Flints, who seem spread out every where in the North.

The Riverlands- The Freys or the Mallisters

The West- the Crakehalls or perhaps the Brax.

Dorne- The Yronwoods or maybe the Daynes.

The Reach- The Florents or frankly who ever got the support of the Hightowers.

The Stormlands- Connington

The Vale- The elder branch of House Royce, or the Corbrays maybe Baelish

Iron Throne- The Velaryons or whoever had the strongest connection to the Targs through marriage in the Crownlands.

My own (easily changable) options:

The North - The Starks are so bound up with all the North, so this was hard to imagine. It must be someone who follows the Old Gods and has the blood of the First Men. The Umbers seem a good choice, or House Cerwyn. The Boltons are second most powerful but there seems to be nothing good about them. However, I decided to make an odd choice here - House Flint. There are three branches of House Flint - one on each coast, plus one in the mountains near the Wolfswood. This indicates they would have a kinfolk throughout much of the North, which is an important thing. They keep the Old Gods, have the blood of the First Men. If they could consolidate and unify with a clan head in Winterfell, they would be well-placed to rule the North.

The Reach - The house which probably stands the best chance of ruling the Reach is House Hightower, so I would choose them. House Florent, House Redwyne, and House Tarly might compete, but not win.

The Riverlands - House Frey are probably the most powerful non-Tullys, but aside from the issue of them being mostly jerks, The Twins are probably too far north to control the much larger lands to the south. The Mallister are not much different in this respect, and control a port. Blackwood or Bracken may be good choices as well (but they hate each other). The Mallisters are probably the best choice though, as a group. They could establish a seat further south to help shore up the Riverlands defenses (perhaps near Fairmarket or the Ruby Ford).

The Vale - The Vale is an easy choice at first glance. My first choice is like many others: House Royce. First Men, honourable, powerful warriors. House Corbray, Redfort, or Waynwood might be a good secondary choice.

The Iron Islands - This one seems obvious as well: House Harlaw. Powerful house, and aside from The Reader, the rest of the family, such as Ser Harras seem competent.

The Westerlands - Very hard to say, since so little is known about the western houses. Crakehall and Marbrand seem like good choices for warfare, but I think I will mix things up and take House Westerling. A strange house, but very old.

The Stormlands - The Stormlands has a real power vacuum going on. Aside from House Baratheon, the houses here don't seem to have much depth, so it is very hard to say. Much as I'd like to see House Seaworth command it, the plain fact is Davos would not be accepted by his highborn bannermen (it is basically a one-man House until it is more established). House Connington might be best placed, under different circumstances politically (and medically). Some have said House Caron, but they are Marchers, and in some peril as a house. House Selmy is pretigious on the back of one man who is in the Kingsguard, but otherwise just landed knights, and thus out of the running. House Swann is more powrful but similar, with its best member in the KG, and the rest in political difficulty (and they're Marchers). Estermont was in difficulty, and maybe not very powerful at all. House Tarth should be powerful, and is honourable, but its line may fail. So in the name of renewing the Stormlands, I guess it's time to take the Onion sigil, fly the Onion flag, and hope for a union of Brienne and one of Davos' sons.

Dorne - Dorne seems a two-way race between House Dayne and House Yronwood. I think of the two, House Yronwood has the more advantageous positioning for someone ruling Dorne. (Honestly, while Sunspear is a pleasant-sounding city, I would love to know why the capital of Dorne isn't on the Greenblood river, let's say where Planky Town / Lemonwood or Godsgrace is.) The Dayne strongholds are probably too far west to control the rest of Dorne. I think all in all, I like House Dayne better, but I choose House Yronwood.

Crownlands - I wonder, does it matter, since they have no overlord and are dominated by King's Landing ? I will say Lord Bronn of... Let's Say Stokeworth. The region is up for grabs, so he has the edge. However, since he is thus far a one-man house, that is tentative, so I will also name House Rykker, which currently controls Duskendale. (Sorry, Darklyns and Hollards.)

Bonus question:

The Iron Throne - I don't know. ... House Dayne. Because of the sword.

The North: Bolton

The Riverlands: Frey

The Westerlands: Clegane

The Vale: Corbray

The Iron Islands: Blacktyde

The Reach: Florent

The Stormlands: Toyne

Dorne: Manwoody

The Wall: Chett

Iron Throne: Patchface

Beyond-the-Wall: Rattleshirt

The North: Is to be split, Karstarks - in the North, Manderleys in the Neck, Southern regions

The Reach: Tarly - Redwynes/Merryweathers close seconds

The Riverlands: Mallister, Possibly Mooton pre-rebellion

The Vale: Royce

The Iron Islands: Harlaw

The Westerlands: Promote the Swyfts, Would have been Tarbeck or Reyne. Now I'd say easy picking for the Iron Islands

The Stormlands:

Swann, a powerful family with money and history

Dorne: Yronwood - Longtime rival of the Martells

Dragonstone/Crownlands: Velaryon, long time Targ loyalists, and Valyrian descent. Possibly ATM House Florent, due to there loyalty to Stannis, and abundance of rich Reach houses that could rule many of the kingdoms.

Bonus question: The Iron Throne: Hightower, extremely rich, well educated, strong ties to both the church and the citadel. IMO only pay liege to Tyrell out of tradition, due to power of former Gardener

I think the following: -

The North - either House Manderly of White Harbor or Karstark of the Karhold. They are both well respected & powerful houses.

The Iron Islands - House Harlaw of Ten Towers, Rodrik the Reader should be the Lord of the Iron Islands!

The Riverlands - House Mallister of Seagard. They are a well respected & powerful house, plus naming a Bracken or a Blackwood would just cause trouble.

The Vale - House Royce of Runestone. They seem pretty awesome, well Bronze Yohn does anyway...

The Westerlands - House Marbrand of Ashemark. They seem like a decent house.

The Reach - either House Rowan of Goldengrove or Hightower of Oldtown. Both are old, respected & powerful houses.

Dorne - House Dayne of Starfall. Simple.

The Crownlands/Iron Throne - I really don't know....

North: House Cerwyn-''Honed and Ready'' to take power.

Iron Islands: House Codd-''Altough all men despise us'', we will rule!

Riverlands: House Piper-''Brave and Beautiful''. What more do you want? Also, go Marq!

Vale:House House Tolett-''When all is darkest'', because nothing fases them. Just ask Edd.

West: House Prester-''Tireless''.'nuff said.

Crownlands:House Crabb. Ser Clarence could throw trees!

Reach:House Ambrose-''Never resting''. This from red ants!

Stormlands:House Lonmouth-''The choice is yours'', submission or death?

Dorne:House Manwoody. Is there a sigil more menacing?

Iron throne: Varys, the cockless wonder!

• 4 weeks later...

The North : House Manderly or House Glover

The Reach : House Hightower

The Riverlands : House Mallister

The Vale : House Royce

The Iron Islands : House Crakehall

The Westerlands : House Harlaw

The Stormlands : House Dondarrion

Dorne : House dayne

North: House Manderly. They're rich, powerful, and seem to have a better grasp of politics than most of the North.

Iron Islands: House Harlaw. The Reader (Asha's uncle) seems to be the only sane guy on those god-forsaken rocks.

Vale: House Royce. IDK why.

Riverlands: No idea.

Westerlands: No idea.

Reach: House Hightower.

Stormlands: House Dondarrion. Because coolest sigil.

Dorne: House Dayne. Because cool sword.

The North - Glover. Umbers too headstrong, Manderly follows the Seven, Reeds are Crannogmen and peripheral.

The Iron Islands - Harlaw. A good dose of common sense is just what they need.

The Riverlands - Blackwood. Mallisters always feel too distant from the Trident to me, like they should be in the North not the river lands.

The Vale - Royce. Blood of the first men and a very powerful hose, emblematic of the Vale.

The Westerlands - pass. Only the Lannisters get any screen time (Brax, Crakehall, Marbrand?)

The Stormlands - Swann (for want of better options).

The Reach - Hightower. Oldtown is the hub of the Reach, The Arbor is off shore, though Rowan seems a good option too..

Dorne - Ironwood. IIRC it was said that the Martells and Ironwoods were rivals for the throne a good while back so they have pedigree.

The Iron Throne - vacant. It was the dragons that united the Seven Kingdoms and no Targ / dragons means no monarch over them all (which is the story of ASOIAF).

Archived