Alternate Overlords for the Seven Kingdoms

Pod The Impaler

Based on what you know of the various houses, who would you pick as alternate lords over each region of the "Seven Kingdoms" ? That is, picking from the "minor" families, excluding the houses which rule over these areas traditionally.

(No naming of Houses Targaryen / Blackfyre, Stark, Tully, Tyrell, Lannister, Baratheon, Martell, Arryn, or Greyjoy, nor any bastards of these houses.)

The North

The Reach

The Riverlands

The Vale

The Iron Islands

The Westerlands

The Stormlands

Dorne

Bonus question: The Iron Throne

The North: House Manderly. I like their sigil. Also, because of Wyman Manderly and Wylla Manderly

The Reach: House Hightower. I like Oldtown, and the Hightowers seem prestigious, I don't know why.

The Riverlands: House Mallister, I like their sigil. If I didn't dislike the Freys, then I would have chosen them.

The Vale: House Royce. The living members of House Royce seem to care about the Vale

The Iron Islands: House Harlaw. Just because of Ten Towers and Rodrik Harlaw

The Westerlands: House Crakehall? I don't even like the Westerlands, they seem too boring, IMO.

The Stormlands: House Tarth. Tarth seems like a really nice place, and I like House Tarth's sigil.

Dorne: House Yronwood or House Dayne, I can't decide I love them both

Iron Throne/Crownlands: I don't want any of the houses from the Crownlands to be rulers of the Seven Kingdoms, but if it's only the Crownlands, then I would want either House Velaryon or House Celtigar.

North: I guess I'd have to go with Manderly, though they might have trouble maintaining legitimacy with more traditionally "northern" lords. The Reeds are too reclusive, the Umbers are too boisterous, etc. Mormont/Glover/Tallhart all appear to be solid, but White Harbor is a successful city during wartime, which is no mean feat.

Riverlands: Mallister of Blackwood. After Jaime's ADWD chapter, I lean toward Blackwood.

Vale: Royce, he's basically the de facto leader anyway.

Westerlands: None of the bannermen seem particularly competent. I'll say Marbrand, I guess, since Addam seems all right.

Reach: I was going to say Hightower, but what kind of man shuts himself off in his castle for years on end? I'll go with Rowan: There are numerous clues that point to him being a better man than Redwyne, Tarly, Florent, et al.

Stormlands: The Evenstar of Tarth, probably. Or perhaps Penrose; the one member of that family we meet was exceptional.

Dorne: Yronwood? This isn't based on too much, but it's the second most powerful house in Dorne, right? And the Big Man is one of my favorites.

Iron Islands: I'd say Harlaw, because the Reader is about eight times smarter than any other ironborn. But then again, his personality doesn't really gel with their MO, so I'm not sure he'd be a good fit to lead the whole region.

Crownlands/Dragonstone: Geesh, I don't know. I can't think of a single family in either the Crownlands or the narrow sea that has displayed much competence. Ha, maybe the Darklyns.

North- House Karstark

It seems odd given recent events. However, House Bolton seems to have less than reputable values and shouldn't be a representative of the North as a whole. The Umbers might give other lords the wrong impression of the North as a whole as well. The Northerners would never accept the Manderly's as paramounts since they are "new" to the North and worship other gods. Glovers and Tallharts are only knightly houses. Mormonts seem too isolated, too poor etc. No one would take the North seriously with a Crannogmen in charge, not to mention they are isolated, so that eliminates House Reed. That basically leaves houses Karstark, Ryswell and Dustin. However, given the former relations to House Stark, I'd give the North to house Karstark. House Dustin would be a second choice.

Riverlands- House Mallister

Obviously no one will accept House Frey willingly. Either naming House Bracken or House Blackwood would cause trouble with the other, given their long standing rivalry. Of course Whent's are out, even though they were probably one of the more powerful at a time. But the Mallister's seem to have a lot going for them. Power, leadership, wealth. To me they seem a great option.

Vale- House Royce

This one is more clear. We don't know a lot about the Vale as a whole, but we can assume that the Royce's are either one of the most, if not the most, powerful minor houses in the Vale. They are old and well established, being able to be traced back to the First Men. Yohn Royce seemed to be the leader of the lords declarant, which means many other houses might look to House Royce for leadership.

Westerlands- House Crakehall

We don't know a lot about the Western Houses. This makes this a relatively tough and uninformed decision between Crakehall and Marbrand. But I'll go with Crakehall just because. Though I do like House Marbrand, and Addam seems a cool guy.

Reach- House Rowan

Hightower's seem isolated, despite owning a huge port. I despise Randyll Tarly as a person, so I'd never give it to the Tarlys. The Florent's seem to ambitious, and they are attainted anyway. This leaves Redwyne and Rowan, but I'll give it to Rowan because Paxter Redwyne seems a bit of an oaf.

Stormlands- House Swann

Other than the Baratheons the only real tough houses seem to be the Marcher Lords. The strongest should be Swann, Dondarrion and Caron. Caron is officially gone, and only survive in bastardry. Dondarrion seems in a bad position as well. This leaves House Swann.

Iron Islands- House Harlaw

Harlaw are the richest and most powerful house on the Iron Islands. And given Rodrik the Reader, they should be in charge anyway.

Dorne- House Yronwood

They have frequently fought with House Martell, which makes me believe that they are the second strongest anyway. Dayne is another option, but we don't really have any evidence that they are a strong and influential house as a whole.

The North: Greatjon Umber

The Reach: Paxter Redwyne

The Riverlands: Jason Mallister

The Vale: Bronze Yohn Royce

The Iron Islands: Rodrik Harlaw

The Westerlands: Podrick Payne

The Stormlands: Selwyn Tarth

Dorne: Edric Dayne

The North - Mormont of Bear Island - they've been through enough (Dacey dying at the RW, The Old Bear killed by his own men, Jorah... well, see my username), they deserve it

The Reach - Fossoway of Cider Hall

The Riverlands - Baelish of Harrenhal :D

The Vale - Borrell of Sweetsister

The Iron Islands - Harlaw of Harlaw

The Westerlands - Reyne of Castamere (just kidding) - Payne

The Stormlands - Tarth of Evenfall Hall

Dorne - Dayne of Starfall

Bonus question: The Iron Throne - Val the wilding princess :P

The North: House Scott under Lord Montgomery.

The Riverlands: House Kirk under Lord James.

The Vale: House Janeway under Lady Kathryn.

The Westerlands: House Ferengi under Lord Quark

The Stormlands: House Archer under Lord Jonathan.

The Reach: House Picard under Lord Jean-Luc

Dorne: House Cisco under Lord Benjamin

The Iron Islands: House Mogh under Lord Worf

Iron Throne: Data, the first of his name. King of the Humans, The Klingons and the Ferengi.

Well, the realm could use some sound management, innit?

North - house manderley-only house with the military strength to keep the others in order if the starks were gone.

Riverlands - house mallister - would be able to defend the region unlike hosue tully due to their history of fighting off ironborn raids

Vale - house waynwood - lady anya knows how to play the game

Iron islands - house hoare - If you're gonna raid and invade kingdoms might as well be ambitious about it like harren

Westerlands - House reyne - In a coat of gold or a coat of red a lion stil has claws

Crownlands - House Velaryon - they should finally get some respect after 300 years of being dragonstones bitch

Reach - House Hightower - Value knowledge and oldtowns prosperity over warring with others

Stormlands - House swann - does what it says on the tin sigil-wise

Dorne- House dayne- their sword is a fallen star

Why are the green-apple Fossoways the good ones?

The head/heir/whatever of the red-apple Fossoways had said he'd fight to defend Dunk then reneged and fought for Aerion Brightflame's side. His cousin, who did fight for Dunk, split off and formed his own house, with the green apple.

Also, I like how a lot of people want the southron Manderlys or even the Boltons(!) to rule the North, but not the always-loyal Mormonts. Is it because there are only women left?

What does that have to do with anything? I think the Manderlys are a pretty complete package: loyal to the bone but in command of a port and a city, with financial security and a lot of muscle.

The North - Manderly is best choice but hel never be accepted to House Karstark it is

The Reach - Hightower

The Riverlands - Mallister

The Vale - Royce

The Iron Islands - Harlaw of Harlaw

The Westerlands - Crakehall

The Stormlands - Swann

Dorne - Dayne

Bonus question: The Iron Throne-House Darry

What does that have to do with anything? I think the Manderlys are a pretty complete package: loyal to the bone but in command of a port and a city, with financial security and a lot of muscle.

Only problem being will they be accepted die to their faith in the Seven? I agree theyre the best of the bunch, but we know the Northerners are pretty hard core Old God followers

The North: Bolton, or Manderly if they converted to old gods

The Reach: Hightower or Tarly

The Riverlands: Mallister or Mooton

The Vale: Royce

The Iron Islands: Harlaw

The Westerlands: Crakehall

The Stormlands: ?house Tarth

Dorne: Dayne or Yronwood

The North - House Bolton, House Karstark, or House Ryswell. Three strong, traditionally Northern houses

The Reach - House Florent - They are a wealthy House, with a claim through House Gardener

The Riverlands - House Mallister - A strong House that isn't hated by everyone *coughHouseFreycough*

The Vale - House Royce - Probably the second strongest House in the Vale, and is well respected

The Iron Islands - House Harlaw - Probably the richest and strongest House on the Iron Islands

The Westerlands - House Marbrand - It seems like a strong House, but we don't know very much about the Houses of the Westerlands

The Stormlands - House Caron or House Tarth - They both seem like strong Houses from the Stormlands

Dorne - House Yronwood - The second strongest House in Dorne

Iron Throne - House Hightower - They are one of the strongest Houses in the Reach, and probably in Westeros (going by what the Houses have themselves, not what their vassals have), and they keep out of conflicts.

Archived