Tyrion Likes The Starks

Dolorous Nedd

Upon rereading A Clash of Kings it jumped out at me that Tyrion likes the Starks or at least has a great respect for them. When he received news that Theon took over Winterfell GRRM went into a fairly lengthy segment concerning Tyrion's thoughts on the matter. It's almost as if he felt violated in some way and had to keep reminding himself it was no concern of his. It seemed obvious he was telling himself that, but not feeling it. It was apparent from the start that Tyrion likes Jon, but this makes it pretty obvious that he also likes the Starks in general. This could be significant later on.

I think he respects certain Starks, and he appreciates the history of the oldest major family in Westeros and Winterfell, but I think it's a stretch to say that he likes them. As bumps points out, he has no major qualms about helping his father defeat them (in fact, at one point he goes out of his way to tell Sansa that the Lannisters will ultimately triumph).

Eh....no.

He has actively fought against there their interests from the first book and only broke with his family after he found out about Tysha. Up until then the Brady Bunch would have been mincemeat in his path had they threatened the slightest interests of House Lannister.

Edit: For terrible grammer. I feel so ashamed. What would Stannis say. :blushing:

It makes me wonder if Tyrion felt violated because HE wants Winterfell. He certainly seemed quite pleased by the notion of Lord of Winterfell when Tywin proposed it, along with Sansa as a trophy wife.

Tyrion wants Casterly Rock. He does think about Winterfell when he's first told that he's going to marry Sansa, but he realizes that he would always be an outsider there.

Notice too that once he's in Essos he claims to be the true Lord of Casterly Rock. He does think of Sansa a few times, but he never goes out of his way to tell folks that he can also claim to be Lord Protector of Winterfell.

Tyrion likes the Starks so much that despite his suspicions about Bran's injury he never said anything to the Starks! :laugh:

Ragnorak has made some really interesting comments on Stark-Tyrion relationship starting here

For liking the Starks so much he sure does a good job of participating in their downfall.

More pointedly, I think his feelings for the Starks are conflicted between envy, admiration, scorn and feeling like a perpetual outsider to them.

Theon also likes the Starks...

Tyrion isnt out to get the starks, he is just more concerned with his own interests than the starks.

Theon also likes the Starks...

Tyrion isnt out to get the starks, he is just more concerned with his own interests than the starks.

I think the 4 descriptors I used for Tyrion's feelings also apply to Theon, who also, incidentally, participated in the Stark downfall.

Tyrion's not out to get the Starks, but it is a bit much to say that he likes them in the way outlined by the OP given that he's been actively involved in bringing down their House.

I think the 4 descriptors I used for Tyrion's feelings also apply to Theon, who also, incidentally, participated in the Stark downfall.

Tyrion's not out to get the Starks, but it is a bit much to say that he likes them in the way outlined by the OP given that he's been actively involved in bringing down their House.

i dont know. i got the impression he kind of liked them, just not enough to put their needs ahead of his.

I think he respects certain Starks, and he appreciates the history of the oldest major family in Westeros and Winterfell, but I think it's a stretch to say that he likes them. As bumps points out, he has no major qualms about helping his father defeat them (in fact, at one point he goes out of his way to tell Sansa that the Lannisters will ultimately triumph).

:agree:

Tyrion is a tactician - and he plays the game of thrones, er, chess.

Tyrion wants Casterly Rock. He does think about Winterfell when he's first told that he's going to marry Sansa, but he realizes that he would always be an outsider there.

Notice too that once he's in Essos he claims to be the true Lord of Casterly Rock. He does think of Sansa a few times, but he never goes out of his way to tell folks that he can also claim to be Lord Protector of Winterfell.

I agree, Casterly Rock is what Tyrion truly wants and feels entitled to (and considering Jaime doesn't want it, he is the rightful heir), but he was quick to accept Winterfell as a consolation prize. Why else marry an unwilling child-bride?

Another thing that really stands out is how he saves Cat when they are attacked. Out of all the Starks she is the one he has the most reason to hate. Tyrion is such a complicated character it's hard to say anything for sure about him.

Well y'know, if Cat had died, her men would have abandoned him, leaving him alone in rather dangerous territory.

Archived