What do the FM do with their incomes?

Vhageraxion

What did the church do at that time? Well "stealing" from the royal families and peasants and hoarding it some place safe.

The church used a lot of that money in the construction, furnishing, and decoration of huge numbers of cathedrals and other churches, being partons of the arts, and a generally lavish lifestyle for the upper levels ot the hierarchy.

And if he does a bad service, they also remember his name.

The crew had a certain heir of fear of Arya on the voyage to Bravos.

They all spent time with her, told her their names, stories, and gave her gifts because apparently they know FM cannot kill someone they know.

Ya forgot about that part. Still the coin has to be something that all the Braavosi are in on.

I think that the iron coin is good for fare on any Braavosi ship, anywhere, no questions asked. The bearer is likely to be a Faceless Man, and you do want to be on their good side.

So in the novels it's mentioned several times that the Faceless Men can charge an extremely high price for an assassination, though it always lies within the means of the client. Now, as far as we know, the FM don't have an awful lot of spendings. All they need to do is keep their men and acolytes fed, and keep the pool of painless-death-poison filled. So what do they do with all their money? Give it to the poor? Keep it somewhere? Could they have some sort of agenda after all?

I bet Illyrio is behind it and he's pocketing the cash. It's a scam, like the televangelist types, the brainwashed FM give up every once of themselves so the guy at the top becomes incredibly rich.

Ya forgot about that part. Still the coin has to be something that all the Braavosi are in on.

George seems to imply that.

In the chapters the House of Black and White appears , seems anyone can walk in the doors, I guess even if you are not Braavosi.

They seem like a religious order without being religious, but philosophical in a Zen kind of way! There is no congregation and no services.

A visitor can visit the pool or even talk to a FM who really are not priests.

GRRM seems imply everyone in Braavos knows who they are and what those iron coins look like.

(I guess one could just visit , look around, and leave?)

I am not sure , but I think Jaqen says give this coin to anyone from Braavos

George seems to imply that.

In the chapters the House of Black and White appears , seems anyone can walk in the doors, I guess even if you are not Braavosi.

They seem like a religious order without being religious, but philosophical in a Zen kind of way! There is no congregation and no services.

A visitor can visit the pool or even talk to a FM who really are not priests.

GRRM seems imply everyone in Braavos knows who they are and what those iron coins look like.

(I guess one could just visit , look around, and leave?)

I am not sure , but I think Jaqen says give this coin to anyone from Braavos

:agree:

Personally I see the high cost, based on the individuals value, as more of a test to see how much the person really wants the mark dead. I mean if the just charged enough for their living costs they'd be inundated with requests.

Personally I'd say a lot goes on the upkeep of the institution, the temple, travel, bribes etc. etc. however the rest probably just gets hoarded. Equally the assumption is made that all the charges are in money. Personally I see it in that they charge what is valuable to the individual, again to check that the person is committed to killing the mark.

Now for most people that will be money however for a scholar it could be books, a pauper time working, a sea captain his boat etc. etc.

Personally I see a comparison between these guys and the hassassins, as stated more of a religious order or cult that happen to assassinate people than a group of killers.

Archived