Whom do you foresee Arya having to marry, if anyone at all?

Arya asked Ned if she could do the things he told her Bran might do when he grew up. When Ned told her she'd get married instead, she just replied "No, that's Sansa".

I think she'll be led back to Westeros as a result of some FM assignment. I don't think she's going to be seeking a husband, but she might some across someone she'll decide to marry at some point.

That is the point I was making; she really doesn't like Westerosi ideals; but she does seem to be picking up on the ideals of the God of Death. Her only problem is letting go of her memories which I suspect every acolyte has problems with.

Marriage in Westeros is just glue for political purposes; and places Arya in a box she wants to avoid.

I'm sure this has been discussed to death, but does anyone think it's odd that Eddard told Arya she'd marry a king? What king? Robert's married and Joffery's already betrothed to Sansa. Neither of Prince Doran's sons were likely to inherit and they wouldn't be kings, anyway. It seems very strange.

Take the quotation in context, starting from the point where Arya asks what Bran can do now that he can no longer become a knight. Arya asked Ned if she could be counsilor to a king. Ned said, no, you will marry a king. It's repetition of Arya's words to make a point; the word was used to indicate that Arya will literally marry a king. The emphasis of the whole scene is to indicate that while a world of future options are still open to the crippled boy, the active and capable Arya has only one future to look forward to, that of a wife.

I'm sure this has been discussed to death, but does anyone think it's odd that Eddard told Arya she'd marry a king? What king? Robert's married and Joffery's already betrothed to Sansa. Neither of Prince Doran's sons were likely to inherit and they wouldn't be kings, anyway. It seems very strange.

I don't tend to think of what Eddard said to Arya as being predictive (or even unknwoingly prophetic). Seems to me what he said was just normal "reassuring" talk from a parent, like a parent today telling their sad child that they can "of course" grow up to be a star ballerina or astronaut, when obviously this odds of this are vanishingly small.

Eddard still thought of his little girl as having standard little girl dreams, or maybe just hoped she would, but nope - she's a she-wolf, like Lyanna before her.

It is with a bit of pride and a bit of sadness that Ned gives in to the inevitable. Remember, Ned thinks she's going to be beautiful like Lyanna, yet true steel inside like Lyanna, but worries because of course Lyanna met a bad end.

The whole comparison shocks Arya, to think of herself in those terms, because she knows Lyanna was thought of as beautiful. That much of her reputation she would have heard easily enough. I doubt Ned (or others) told her much about Lyanna's more ferocious and willful nature, although you can see in every other reference to her that it was also well known.

• 7 months later...

A lot of people seem to think Arya will only ever be happy running free and never tied down. But she has been running free for the last four books and the only time she had a sembalance of happiness in her life was when she had her "pack".

Why do some people not want Arya to have another pack or get her old one back? Hey, I'm happy with Arya not being a true lady, I'm fine with that, but does not being a lady mean she cant fall in love someday, get married, and have a few kids? Build a new life, new pack, and find happiness that doesn't involve her seeking vegence or being a killer for hire?

Also, Arya's going to grow up eventually and start liking boys. She's going to start acting more like a woman (no, not a lady, but a woman. Meaning she will inevitably become slightly more feminine). And let's think this through. Arya being a badass with a sword will only last so long in her life. If she did decide to go down that path for the rest of her life, eventually shed become too old to be swinging Needle around and then what will she do? What about when her list is complete? What does she do then?

Why can't Arya be a badass and still become more than the bloodthirsty, traumatized child we've grown to love?

Archived