Whom do you foresee Arya having to marry, if anyone at all?

Do you think she'll have to marry someone (like "Arya" was made to marry Ramsay Bolton) for the sake of her house? Do you think this will be pivotal if she's given a role either in the north or in the south?

Or do you think she'll go her whole life as a lone wolf? But, in this circumstance, is it likely she'll be given a position say as Warden of the North?

Are you perchance an Arya fan? I don't think you will see her in any of those roles. She is 11, and a major war with the others is about to begin. It's the kind of war where it's everyone either fights or dies. Nobody is going to be worried about weddings, it's fight or die time. She has 3 siblings ahead of her for the Warden of the north role.

Oh that will go over big with her, the assassin princess who does not want to get married, forced to wed. Family better take out life insurance on the soon to be dead husband. He says I do she says Valar Morghulis.

Lol, some husbands in Westeros need killing. As a matter of fact, I can see marrying Arya off as an efficient way of getting rid of noble undesirables -- Walder Frey, gone; Ramsay Bolton, gone; [insert name of your choice], gone . . .

Where's that dang "like" button when I need it?

Oh that will go over big with her, the assassin princess who does not want to get married, forced to wed. Family better take out life insurance on the soon to be dead husband. He says I do she says Valar Morghulis.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Where's that 'like' button?

In both the show and the books Ned says you will marry. There are just slight changes. Books: You will marry a king and have his sons. Arya says no that's Sansa. Show: You will marry a lord and Arya says that's not me.

Here's the quote from the scene you're referring to:

"Arya cocked her head to one side. 'Can I be a king’s councillor and build castles and become the High Septon?'

'You,' Ned said, kissing her lightly on the brow, 'will marry a king and rule his castle, and your sons will be knights and princes and lords and, yes, perhaps even a High Septon.'

Arya screwed up her face. 'No,' she said. 'That’s Sansa.'"

This doesn't suggest that she doesn't want to marry. It shows that this is the life that Sansa is being prepared for.

So are there any quotes that do reference Arya's opinions on marrying and her supposed lack of desire for it?

So are there any quotes that do reference Arya's opinions on marrying and her supposed lack of desire for it?

She tells the KM as much when he says that she won't be able to have a family, that the Many Faced God will take away her eyes, ears, even her private parts.

Here's the quote from the scene you're referring to:

"Arya cocked her head to one side. 'Can I be a king’s councillor and build castles and become the High Septon?'

'You,' Ned said, kissing her lightly on the brow, 'will marry a king and rule his castle, and your sons will be knights and princes and lords and, yes, perhaps even a High Septon.'

Arya screwed up her face. 'No,' she said. 'That’s Sansa.'"

This doesn't suggest that she doesn't want to marry. It shows that this is the life that Sansa is being prepared for.

I gave them.

She didn't want to marry any more than she wanted to be a courtesan.

Hi, there. This is my first post, though I'm a long time ASOIAF fan. Arya's my favourite character (as my avatar will show when I finish drawing it), so this seemed a good place for my first post.

I agree that Arya will never be forced into marriage. That doesn't mean she won't eventually end up in a committed relationship in or out of wedlock. She might even marry for political reasons if she thought is was her own idea. She'll never really settle down, though.

Gendry or No One

Anyone but Gendry. I don't see why people like him so much. To me he comes off as bitter, sullen, narrow minded, and stubborn as an ox. He doesn't seem right for Arya at all. I could see him ending up with Sansa. She wanted to marry Robert's son, after all, and Gendry seems to be the oldest of them.

It's in the Destiny thread but I'm pretty sure that Arya is going to be an actress next. That's nothing her family has experience in so it's going to be separate from them.

It is actually another thing that makes her like Varys.

The point of the disguises is the the ability to impersonate anyone but it has little to do with what she's actually like. It's a mummer's show.

That could give a whole new meaning to "Mummer's Dragon".

I kind of like the idea of her with Aegon. Lyanna's niece with Raegar's son seems right. She might be more likely to be his paramour than his wife. However, I'd be sad if he was married to someone else at the same time. That seems like the kind of thing GRRM would do, though. I know he's a bit immature now, but I figure he'll either mature fast now that he's in Westeros, or he'll die shortly.

A couple of other possibilities:

Symond Frey married a Braavosi woman and has a son fostered in Bravos. He's the right age and in the right location and his older brother Alesander was deliberately sent away before the Red Wedding, IIRC, suggesting that he wouldn't have gone along with it. Maybe there are a couple of good Frey's after all.

I'm convinced that Tyrek Lannister used the riot to run away from his infant bride and has escaped across the Narrow Sea. Maybe Arya will run into him soon. The way Lannister's are dying he's going to be heir to Casterly rock before long.

On a related topic have you noticed most if not all shipping is hetero?

If that's the case, this place is different from just about every other board I've posted on.

Welcome Arachne.

Anyone but Gendry. I don't see why people like him so much. To me he comes off as bitter, sullen, narrow minded, and stubborn as an ox. He doesn't seem right for Arya at all. I could see him ending up with Sansa. She wanted to marry Robert's son, after all, and Gendry seems to be the oldest of them.

I agree 100 percent.

A couple of other possibilities:

Symond Frey married a Braavosi woman and has a son fostered in Bravos. He's the right age and in the right location and his older brother Alesander was deliberately sent away before the Red Wedding, IIRC, suggesting that he wouldn't have gone along with it. Maybe there are a couple of good Frey's after all.

I'm convinced that Tyrek Lannister used the riot to run away from his infant bride and has escaped across the Narrow Sea. Maybe Arya will run into him soon. The way Lannister's are dying he's going to be heir to Casterly rock before long.on.

Arya with a Frey? Never. Please refer to my signature quote. Actually I think that Frey was planted in Braavos as someone for Arya to kill in another violation of FM rules. Perhaps she'll do that just before she jumps on a ship to return to Westeros. I don't think Arya will sift good Freys from bad Freys, she seems more like a "kill them all and let god sort them out" kind of girl.

Arya with a Lannister? Equally improbable. I think she'd kill Tyrek as a Cersei-proxy, but I really think Varys has him tucked safely away and intends to turn him into the Targaryen candidate for Lord of Casterly Rock.

Hi, there. This is my first post, though I'm a long time ASOIAF fan. Arya's my favourite character (as my avatar will show when I finish drawing it), so this seemed a good place for my first post.

I agree that Arya will never be forced into marriage. That doesn't mean she won't eventually end up in a committed relationship in or out of wedlock. She might even marry for political reasons if she thought is was her own idea. She'll never really settle down, though.

That could give a whole new meaning to "Mummer's Dragon".

I kind of like the idea of her with Aegon. Lyanna's niece with Raegar's son seems right. She might be more likely to be his paramour than his wife. However, I'd be sad if he was married to someone else at the same time. That seems like the kind of thing GRRM would do, though. I know he's a bit immature now, but I figure he'll either mature fast now that he's in Westeros, or he'll die shortly.

Welcome .:)

Gendry is like Stannis basically. I mentioned earlier that the girl Willow that Brienne wondered if she was Arya was said to already act like a married couple with him. It was said that she would make a frightful wife.

We're missing a few of Robert's bastards so he could have an older son.

On the previous page I posted the song about her and she says to the guy that he can be her forest love so she doesn't fully reject it. She didn't want him to be her lord though and guard her with his sword. So basically that's a knight type or a man who protects the woman he loves. She will protect herself and doesn't need him to do that for her. She doesn't want to be dressed up in silks either.

I have a pet theory that Arya may kill Aegon. He can be her poisoned dragon. Rhaegar left Lyanna blue winter roses. In AGoT Arya found purple (royal color) flowers called poison kisses. She can give Aegon the fatal kiss of death. At the very least she will target Aegon's allies Varys and Illyrio.

Anyways, who knows what effect hanging out in brothels everyday is having on her. She may be less likely to value things such as monogamy and marriage because of it.

On a related topic have you noticed most if not all shipping is hetero?

Haven't you ever seen a WK thread?

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the "having to marry" in the thread title. Why will Arya have to marry, that really bugs me. More so, why is it assumed that IF Arya marries that it must be to Aegon, Edric, or Gendry? She's still young, hasn't met one, doesn't care for the second, and has barely thought about the third. Not a fan of the idea that she needs to be with one because her aunt/uncle/father/best friend's third cousin twice removed has history with a Targ, Baratheon, or Dayne.

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the "having to marry" in the thread title. Why will Arya have to marry, that really bugs me. More so, why is it assumed that IF Arya marries that it must be to Aegon, Edric, or Gendry? She's still young, hasn't met one, doesn't care for the second, and has barely thought about the third. Not a fan of the idea that she needs to be with one because her aunt/uncle/father/best friend's third cousin twice removed has history with a Targ, Baratheon, or Dayne.

:agree: There's no way Arya will have to marry anyone. Certainly, too, there are more partners available than Gendry, Edric, or Aegon. I'm pretty sure Aegon is doomed, and I don't think that anyone who has the bad luck to be his wife (assuming Jon Con will let him marry anyone but Dany) will escape Aegon's doom untouched.

WK?

:agree: There's no way Arya will have to marry anyone. Certainly, too, there are more partners available than Gendry, Edric, or Aegon. I'm pretty sure Aegon is doomed, and I don't think that anyone who has the bad luck to be his wife (assuming Jon Con will let him marry anyone but Dany) will escape Aegon's doom untouched.

For some reason, threads like this always leave me with the feeling that Arya's story will be incomplete if she doesn't end up married which really sticks in my craw. There are more than three suitors for Arya and more than one path her life can take.

WK?

Yes, as Sand Snake said, Winter's Knight. Search out her name, she has some great threads from NedBert to Oberyn/Willas and others. Some great shipping threads too that are a great read.

For some reason, threads like this always leave me with the feeling that Arya's story will be incomplete if she doesn't end up married which really sticks in my craw. There are more than three suitors for Arya and more than one path her life can take.

Yes, as Sand Snake said, Winter's Knight. Search out her name, she has some great threads from NedBert to Oberyn/Willas and others. Some great shipping threads too that are a great read.

Oh dear do I want to go there <G>

Yes, again. I want some woman in Westeros to break out of the box (hell, more than one if that's possible) and Arya's as good a candidate as any and better than most.

Did WK give us Briennsa (Brienne & Sansa)? LOL, that would be breaking out of the box for sure.

Oh dear do I want to go there <G>

Yes, in all seriousness they are worth the read. I have NedBert bookmarked for times when I need a laugh.

Did WK give us Briennsa (Brienne & Sansa). LOL, that would be breaking out of the box for sure.

Yes, she is the one who gave us Briennsa. I still remember her post that sparked it although I don't remember the thread. And, it's very out of the box. Her NedBert is the best of them though.

Thanks for the welcomes. :)

Arya with a Frey? Never. Please refer to my signature quote. Actually I think that Frey was planted in Braavos as someone for Arya to kill in another violation of FM rules. Perhaps she'll do that just before she jumps on a ship to return to Westeros. I don't think Arya will sift good Freys from bad Freys, she seems more like a "kill them all and let god sort them out" kind of girl.

Arya with a Lannister? Equally improbable. I think she'd kill Tyrek as a Cersei-proxy, but I really think Varys has him tucked safely away and intends to turn him into the Targaryen candidate for Lord of Casterly Rock.

I can take or leave the idea of Arya with one of them, but I think it's kind of unfair to assume it wouldn't just because of who their families are. Especially since they've been away form said families for awhile. On the other hand, I can see Arya doing violence to them if she got a chance, although I think her desire for vengeance is weakening.

We're missing a few of Robert's bastards so he could have an older son.

There could be, but I don't see what the point would be in introducing an older son, story-wise.

On the previous page I posted the song about her and she says to the guy that he can be her forest love so she doesn't fully reject it. She didn't want him to be her lord though and guard her with his sword. So basically that's a knight type or a man who protects the woman he loves. She will protect herself and doesn't need him to do that for her. She doesn't want to be dressed up in silks either.

Now I want to see her dressed up as a fine lady just because she'd hate it so much. :lol:

I have a pet theory that Arya may kill Aegon. He can be her poisoned dragon. Rhaegar left Lyanna blue winter roses. In AGoT Arya found purple (royal color) flowers called poison kisses. She can give Aegon the fatal kiss of death. At the very least she will target Aegon's allies Varys and Illyrio.

Aww, I like Aegon. If he has to die, I don't Arya to be the one to kill him.

Anyways, who knows what effect hanging out in brothels everyday is having on her. She may be less likely to value things such as monogamy and marriage because of it.

Nothing wrong with that. Some of the comments in this thread have reminded me of (and I'll put the title in spoiler tags, since I'm about to give away the ending)

Deerskin by Robin McKinley.

In it the heroine goes through hell and back, but finds a man she can love at the end. However, she tells him something to the effect of "I'll stay for now, but I can't promise you forever." I can see Arya being in a relationship with those terms. I can even see her story ending with a marriage, but with the understanding that she'll come and go as she pleases.

Archived