Whom do you foresee Arya having to marry, if anyone at all?

But at this point, who is the head of the Stark family who would arrange that political match, and exactly how will that person make Arya co-operate? The potential heads of the Stark family are Jon, Bran (doubtful), Rickon (with Manderly as protector, I imagine), Sansa (with her husband as acting head of the family) and Arya herself. Jon had already decided to send "Arya" to Braavos so Stannis couldn't try to marry her off to one of his retainer, so I can't see him arranging a politically expedient marriage any time soon. Manderly, acting for Rickon, might try to arrange a match for Arya, but he's also a man who's fond of feisty little Northern girls who's already killed to keep his granddaughters out of political marriages, so I can't see him making Arya do anything she'd hate. Sansa, or Sansa's husband, could certainly try to make Arya marry someone, but we know how much Arya co-operates with Sansa. Then we get to part two of the equation . . .

I agree with this. Where's the head of the Stark family who will do this? Just as Sand Snake No. 9 said, I can't imagine of the potential candidates doing so. Unlike Sand Snake No. 9, I have trouble believing Sansa would ever try to bully Arya into an unwanted political marriage after her own experience or would stand idly by and let her (theoretical) husband do so. Even if she or anyone tried, it's hard to believe Arya would listen.

But let's just assume that the head of the Stark family wanted Arya to enter into a political marriage, for the sake of argument:

Alys Karstark rode a dying horse through a blizzard to avoid marrying her cousin. Arya's got a lot more practice in both defiance and running than either of these girls, and she's murdered her way out of a corner more than once. She's now acquired experience in disguise and stealth. Furthermore, while she's very loyal to the Stark family, she's got her own ideas of what duty to her family requires and so far that doesn't include marriage. So how, exactly, is she going to be forced into some political marriage for family advantage?

The example of Alys Karstark is a little stickier than what you're posting here, though. Alys Karstark is compared to Arya a few times, and she seems similar to Arya in a few ways: spunky, outspoken, takes decisive action, etc. etc. However, even though she flees an unwanted marriage, she immediately thereafter enters into a political match with Sigorn, Magnar of Thenn, at Jon's behest. It's not in any sense a forced marriage, as her marriage to her cousin would have been, but it's equally clear that she's neutral at best when it comes to Sigorn and rolling her eyes at Jon the whole time about her husband to be. And yet she submits to this loveless political marriage with an unappealing (if not evil or grotesque) fellow without a word of resistance or complaint, beyond some passive-aggressive bitching.

Now mind you, the circumstances in that situation were such that an emergency political marriage was the only feasible way for Alys to escape the other unwanted marriage. Still, it's telling that this spunky, feisty, self-possessed, Arya-like Northern girl sucked it up and entered into an unwanted arranged marriage, doing as Jon told her for political reasons, without putting up a fight. It makes me wonder. .

If Sansa ends up in power I could see her possibly trying to force Arya to marry somebody.

Yes, because it's not like Sansa has personal experience with how awful it is to be forced into an unwanted political marriage or anything.

The example of Alys Karstark is a little stickier than what you're posting here, though. Alys Karstark is compared to Arya a few times, and she seems similar to Arya in a few ways: spunky, outspoken, takes decisive action, etc. etc. However, even though she flees an unwanted marriage, she immediately thereafter enters into a political match with Sigorn, Magnar of Thenn, at Jon's behest. It's not in any sense a forced marriage, as her marriage to her cousin would have been, but it's equally clear that she's neutral at best when it comes to Sigorn and rolling her eyes at Jon the whole time about her husband to be. And yet she submits to this loveless political marriage with an unappealing (if not evil or grotesque) fellow without a word of resistance or complaint, beyond some passive-aggressive bitching.

Now mind you, the circumstances in that situation were such that an emergency political marriage was the only feasible way for Alys to escape the other unwanted marriage. Still, it's telling that this spunky, feisty, self-possessed, Arya-like Northern girl sucked it up and entered into an unwanted arranged marriage, doing as Jon told her for political reasons, without putting up a fight. It makes me wonder. .

Yes, because it's not like Sansa has personal experience with how awful it is to be forced into an unwanted political marriage or anything.

I think Alys wanted to return and claim the Karstark holdings as her own so a husband who came with his own band of warriors could come in very handy indeed. Alys also had fewer, er, personal resources than Arya, so a husband who could do her killing for her would also come in handy. At any rate, getting married is good for Alys personally in a way, it seems, that most political marriages are not. (It also looks to me like she's going to have Sigorn well whipped by the time they get back to her keep. Good on her.)

I believe that Sansa is still interested in matches, even if she's not looking for one herself -- look at her interest in Mya Stone and Lothar Brune. Sansa also wanted the Tyrell match. Furthermore, there's also no indication that she sees a future for a highborn girl beyond or other than marriage. So I think that if she were the Lady of Winterfell (not going to happen, but still, we're speculating here) and were "in charge" of her younger sister, she'd entertain the idea of making a match for Arya. I also think there isn't a snowballs chance in hell that Arya would go along with that idea.

While they do have similarities Alys may have never opposed marriage especially given that we know her father encouraged her from when she was very young like around 6 years old.

So she sees the Thenn marriage as protection but in the song I quoted Arya doesn't want the lord to guard her with his sword. Alys' situation called for it because of the alternative so it's understandable. An army would be useful for her.

Arya currently is being told marriage is not in her future so she's not being conditioned to be more accepting of it.

I believe that Sansa is still interested in matches, even if she's not looking for one herself -- look at her interest in Mya Stone and Lothar Brune. Sansa also wanted the Tyrell match. Furthermore, there's also no indication that she sees a future for a highborn girl beyond or other than marriage. So I think that if she were the Lady of Winterfell (not going to happen, but still, we're speculating here) and were "in charge" of her younger sister, she'd entertain the idea of making a match for Arya. I also think there isn't a snowballs chance in hell that Arya would go along with that idea.

She'd probably get a worse match than Catelyn did given she said that Arya deserves to marry Hodor. I don't see it happening though and Arya has no reason to listen to her.

Anyways, Stannis potentially will be in the position to force her. I do think that the theories that she's going to go with Justin Massey (who btw would possibly jump from his Asha plan if that doesn't pan out to wanting Arya) won't actually come to fruition. I think by the time she goes North Stannis' influence there will be gone.

I liked the theory about the poisoned dragon coin. Who would be behind this murder?

Arya.

I feel that part of the reason that our main heroines (and heroes) were put by the author through all these horrors is that they'll be able to more realistically have non-conventional destinies. Especially Arya.

She's also particularly desensitized to killing of unpleasant people and will know a hundred ways to do it without putting suspicion on herself, so I don't see unwanted husband living very long.

and her storyline would be pretty pointless if she ended up with as much options as pre-AFFC Sansa.

ETA: I also think she'll be legitimately scary by the end of her training - she already is. Marrying her off without her explicit desire would be about as good idea as trying to do it to Euron.

Alys is what Arya could be if she didn't have to live on her own in war torn Westeros or enter death cult.

She'd probably get a worse match than Catelyn did given she said that Arya deserves to marry Hodor. I don't see it happening though and Arya has no reason to listen to her.

Aw, come on! That was way back in the first book when Sansa still believed in all that stuff. Sansa would not force Arya to marry at this point if she was ever even put in that situation to begin with, which is very unlikely. The whole point of Sansa's story is that she realizes that being married off for her claim is awful and does not want to be forced to marry anyone. Now people think that she would go and do that to Arya?

Aw, come on! That was way back in the first book when Sansa still believed in all that stuff. Sansa would not force Arya to marry at this point if she was ever even put in that situation to begin with, which is very unlikely. The whole point of Sansa's story is that she realizes that being married off for her claim is awful and does not want to be forced to marry anyone. Now people think that she would go and do that to Arya?

My comment did say I don't see it happening though despite her making that comment.

I've read through the last couple of pages, hoping someone could convince me that there is a better match for Arya than Jon.

I don't like Gendry that much, sorry. And he lacks the necessary upbringing, he will never have the same priorities as Arya.

I don't like the idea of Arya marrying anyone in the South - Tyrells, Daynes, whoever. I want the Stark girls in the North (well, maybe the Vale for Sansa). It is not healthy for them in the south.

Sandor - very funny, indeed.

Justin Massey - well, that's an interesting idea. I don't think Arya would marry him, but it reminds me that I don't really know how should I feel about this guy. He seems to be less idiotic than the rest of Stannis' knights, but I am a bit uneasy about him.

Who else? (apart from the "not marrying anyone" and "dying with Needle in the hand")

Jaqen - I want them to meet again, I am really curious what will Arya think of him after she got the FM training.

So please don't hate me, but I still think, that characterwise, romantically and politically as well, her best match is Jon. I don't care they believed to be siblings. They are not, and this is what matters.

I don't like the idea of Arya marrying anyone in the South - Tyrells, Daynes, whoever. I want the Stark girls in the North (well, maybe the Vale for Sansa). It is not healthy for them in the south.

YYMV, but I think Arya could thrive in the South if she married into Dorne. Ned Dayne is a sweet boy and I think he could be a good match for her.

Ned's sweetness is actually a problem. He was disturbed when Arya asked him if he's killed anyone. He was nice to her but I don't think he would be accepting of Arya's activities. To truly appreciate her one has to accept the good and the bad.

ETA: This quote would be relevant:

"I loved you at your darkest."

Ned's sweetness is actually a problem. He was disturbed when Arya asked him if he's killed anyone. He was nice to her but I don't think he would be accepting of Arya's activities. To truly appreciate her one has to accept the good and the bad.

ETA: This quote would be relevant:

You think women tell all their past to their men? And some men like to "rescue" women - knights and lords for instance.

YYMV, but I think Arya could thrive in the South if she married into Dorne. Ned Dayne is a sweet boy and I think he could be a good match for her.

Ned is about the only match I can see for her where she might not be treated like utter shit when he grows up a bit honestly.

I'd hate for Arya to be forced into a match with a husband that brings out her inner Cersei, except worse since she'll need no help killing him. >.>

But most of all I can't think of any large, powerful Northern houses she could marry into without fear of them pulling a RW on her or something similar down the line.

I believe that Sansa is still interested in matches, even if she's not looking for one herself -- look at her interest in Mya Stone and Lothar Brune.

And if Sansa corrals Mya Stone into a marriage with Lothar Brune over her objections, then I'll happily revise my opinion on the subject. Until then, I see no evidence that Sansa would try to foist an unwanted political marriage on Arya when the same thing had been done to her.

I'd hate for Arya to be forced into a match with a husband that brings out her inner Cersei, except worse since she'll need no help killing him. >.>

Cersei is often viewed as a "might have been" future for Sansa (queen unhappily married to an abusive husband she doesn't love), but she's really more of a "might have been" for Arya (spirited, feisty young woman forced into an unwanted marriage and into playing a gender role she absolutely hates).

So please don't hate me, but I still think, that characterwise, romantically and politically as well, her best match is Jon. I don't care they believed to be siblings. They are not, and this is what matters.

Maybe she's yet to meet her match. She happens not to be even 13 yet.

As for Ned Dayne, I don't care either way, but I am sure many Westerosi women would be greatly disturbed by seeing their spouses' activities first hand, but they still marry and love them.

I don't see Sansa trying to force Arya into marrying, but it seems pretty obvious that if she tried, she'd fail.

Archived