Whom do you foresee Arya having to marry, if anyone at all?

Honestly, I'm not entirely sure whose motherland they take the last name. The thing is, even if R+L=J, he is still a bastard, and wouldn't be heir to the Iron Throne unless a king legitimizes him as Rhaegar's son

No, not necessary. There is a speculation, R & L married

I don't see her marrying and wonder why everyone assumes she is heterosexual.

we are thinking a woman's sexuality has zero to do with matches her family arranges for her in a middle-ages inspired world

But I think after all Arya has gone through she will buck the system and there is no way she'd marry someone unless she wanted to, for herself.

"It's time Arya of House Stark" - said Izembaro

"Time for what?"

"Time for your first love affair"

"That's for ladies in castles like Sansa. That's not ME"

"Are you saying you cant fall in love?"

"I can fall in love as good as ANYone! Better!"

"Now, your lover must be completely smitten"

"I can smite him"

"Very well"

Enter Aurochs.

It never occurred to me until now how similar those two make arguments.

• 2 weeks later...

Why does everyone assume Edric Dayne? She only had a short interaction with him and she didn't like him much, accusing him of being a liar.

It's based on the assumed affair between Ned and Ashara Dayne. Ned couldn't get his Dayne because he had to do his duty and marry Catelyn. People think that Arya, being similar to Ned, would close the circle by marrying Edric Dayne. This is similar to the Arya/Gendry ship which people think would create the Baratheon/Stark union that was originally intended. I prefer the Dayne connection myself, but considering Arya's entire arc I think either union is very unlikely.

Why does everyone assume Edric Dayne? She only had a short interaction with him and she didn't like him much, accusing him of being a liar.

A few reasons:

1. All the Arya/Dorne associations (naming her wolf Nymeria, etc. etc.), which have led many to think that she will eventually end up in Dorne on a permanent basis.

2. House Dayne is a noble house based in Dorne.

3. She's already met Edric Dayne, so it wouldn't be completely random.

4. Edric seems like as decent a candidate as any: he's age-appropriate, brave, not bad-looking, and seems like a good egg. If she is going to wind up as a lady to a lord (which seems highly unlikely, but let's assume), he'd be as good a match as she'd be likely to make.

5. It would "resolve," for lack of a better word, the tragedy of what happened with Ned and Ashara. (And also, Ned/Ashara vs. Ned/Arya).

Not to say I think it will happen, but I can see why some think it might. (Granted, some of the above apply to Trystane Martell as well: age-appropriate, a good guy, also based in Dorne, and he might be the heir if anything happens to Arianne, as many think it will. I guess Edric has the edge because she's already met him.)

I agree with Sand Snake No. 9 that Arya's arc seems to be trending away from the kind of life Edric Dayne or Trystane Martell could offer her, but you never know with GRRM; he tends to zig when you think he's going to zag. I could see him pulling a switcheroo where it's Sansa who winds up as the trailblazing Stark sister (unmarried, kid out of wedlock, what have you) and Arya who winds up in a role that at least on the surface looks conventional (lady to a lord).

A few reasons:

1. All the Arya/Dorne associations (naming her wolf Nymeria, etc. etc.), which have led many to think that she will eventually end up in Dorne on a permanent basis.

2. House Dayne is a noble house based in Dorne.

3. She's already met Edric Dayne, so it wouldn't be completely random.

4. Edric seems like as decent a candidate as any: he's age-appropriate, brave, not bad-looking, and seems like a good egg. If she is going to wind up as a lady to a lord (which seems highly unlikely, but let's assume), he'd be as good a match as she'd be likely to make.

5. It would "resolve," for lack of a better word, the tragedy of what happened with Ned and Ashara. (And also, Ned/Ashara vs. Ned/Arya).

Not to say I think it will happen, but I can see why some think it might. (Granted, some of the above apply to Trystane Martell as well: age-appropriate, a good guy, also based in Dorne, and he might be the heir if anything happens to Arianne, as many think it will. I guess Edric has the edge because she's already met him.)

I agree with Sand Snake No. 9 that Arya's arc seems to be trending away from the kind of life Edric Dayne or Trystane Martell could offer her, but you never know with GRRM; he tends to zig when you think he's going to zag. I could see him pulling a switcheroo where it's Sansa who winds up as the trailblazing Stark sister (unmarried, kid out of wedlock, what have you) and Arya who winds up in a role that at least on the surface looks conventional (lady to a lord).

I guess that makes sense. But is it not important to not allow foreshadowing envelope individual character attributes? Arya didn't seem to like Edric. Does that fact not overtake all the references to the past?

Wishful thinking from a Sansa fan. ;)

I have a very hard time imagining her marrying anyone and liking the idea. It's so out of character for her but then again who knows maybe she'll feel differently later in life if she makes it that far. As of right now I don't see her marrying anyone.

Wishful thinking from a Sansa fan. ;)

Hey, I'm not saying I want that to happen, although this theory comes up a lot in the Pawn to Player threads. Sansa is currently doing a lot of the things she had a horror of doing in AGOT (associating with people of low birth, e.g.). When she's gone to Izembaro with her "pretty face," maybe Arya will find herself doing a lot of the things she had a horror of doing in AGOT (hobnobbing with important people, getting gussied up on the regular, etc. etc.). I'm just saying a switcheroo is something I could see happening.

Frankly, if Arya and Sansa both make it out of the series alive I'd be happy to call it a day, no matter what they wind up doing.

It's in the Destiny thread but I'm pretty sure that Arya is going to be an actress next. That's nothing her family has experience in so it's going to be separate from them.

It is actually another thing that makes her like Varys.

The point of the disguises is the the ability to impersonate anyone but it has little to do with what she's actually like. It's a mummer's show.

I do not think Arya will marry at all. I think that Arya's character has become one of the linear in the story. She is about revenge against those who have hurt her and her family. As much as I love her as a character I fail to see what angle her story could take after she done killing all the people on her list. I think once she completes the list, she should be killed off (probably by suicide) as her quest will be complete and she will be able to finally rest in peace and join with her father and brother Robb.

What if she ends up marrying... JON SNOW. or should I say Jon Targaryen. It will tie the North to much of the South that is still Loyal to the Targaryens. Granted it would be awful to see such a healthy brother-sister relationship be ruined, it would make sense politically.

As Lyanna's child Jon should still get the North's support although it would be secondary to Ned's children. He doesn't need to marry a Stark.

I guess that makes sense. But is it not important to not allow foreshadowing envelope individual character attributes? Arya didn't seem to like Edric. Does that fact not overtake all the references to the past?

I think she liked him until he brought up Ashara and that killed it. Of course that was only as a friend. It had nothing to do with marriage.

The fandom likes the redo done right. I think it's lame personally. I don't get the obsession with repeats whether it's Aegon with a Stark, Edric D. with a Stark, or Gendry with a Stark. It's a different story and should have different pairings and endings. & as I mentioned earlier Lyanna to me was just a plot device for male characters so I'd hate for Arya to be reduced to who is she going to be with.

I think in lit. that's how it often is. A female character can't be complete unless she has a male lead with her. Otherwise we get faux concern on how Arya is going to have a normal life and settle down.

She's been offered that and said no. She also chose to stay with the FM when they said she could never marry or have children.

She may change her mind but it may be too late. The KM didn't say you lie in ADWD after she said no one so maybe she's passed a certain point.

ETA: I don't think she will change her mind though on wanting to be married.

Thewindgedwolf GRRM gave her a storyline with the FM arc that is separate from revenge.

I dont have a real complicated reason for suggesting Ned Dayne. He is a little older than her, he is from a noble house, he seems like a nice guy, she might be interested in talking to him more about her dad and Jon. Not too many characters we have met fit those criteria. She hasnt hit puberty yet and hasnt finished dealing with her losses enough to think of anyone but herself and anything but survival. So whether or not she decides to marry is to me still up in the air. She wouldnt be the kind of wife her father described. Ned seems nice enough to let her be whoever she becomes without being demanding or controlling.

She hasnt seemed to like anyone for a long time. Her defenses are up since the death of pals and relatives.

• 2 weeks later...

Well in that case, I can see her with Elia Sand.

Also because being bisexual/gay doesnt seem like that big a deal in Dorne.

Well in that case, I can see her with Elia Sand.

Also because being bisexual/gay doesnt seem like that big a deal in Dorne.

why not nymeria sand??......her wof is nymeria too..

Archived