Why Robert never try to attack the Summer Islands?

franko99

I know is a small/unimportant question, but considering Jalabar Xho ask for military help from Robert many times, and we know for a time Robert liked the idea, why he never proced? Robert live to fight, it's probably the thing he loves most in his life. And he also likes fucking, he will enjoy a stay in the Summer Islands more than KL, Jon Arryn could stay there to rule the kingdom while Robert fight and eat and drinks and fuck :lol: . We know an united Westeros have some impresive naval power (Royal fleet, the Redwine and before the Greyjoy rebelion, the Lannister fleet). And there's no better propaganda for the new regime than an overseas victory. Aerys leave the Iron Thore in excelent financial conditions, so he has the money to do it. Yes it is a risky move, but King Bob is not the kind of person who will take time to think and analyze about risks and consequenses.

So why not? It's better to die for a summer islander arrow than killed by a pig :P

Conquering a completely foreign people without establishing your own colonies or having a population there already is going to be an extremely difficult task. On top of that, the Summer Islands are distant from the mainland of Westeros and unfamiliar to its people.

Archers of the Summer islands are second only to the Dothraki, I don't think we'd do very well against them especially at sea.

Are the Dothraki renowned archers? I don't recall them using anything other than arakhs. It seems like the kind of culture where ranged fighting would be considered cowardly.

War galleys aren't so good in open seas, and the Summer Islands are a rich, populous big country with the best sailors and sailing ships in the world, deep sea sailing ships able to navigate well beyond the sight of land, the best (and most numerous) archers and bows in the world, that could decimate the westerosi both at sea and on land. Plus the heat of the Summer Islands wouldn't be good for the knights.

Yes, the westerosi have more troops, but taking them to an archipielago thousand of miles to the southeast, in the middle of the ocean wouldn't be easy: Even the ironborn were afraid of going to Slaver's Bay. Carrying dozens of thousands of men and horses and supplies would be a logistical nightmare, and many ships would be lost at sea, or get dispersed and take land in the wrong place, or be taken one by one by the Summer Island's warfleet. And even if they arrive there they couldn't carry enough soldiers to crush the Summer Islanders, who would probably be able to get the numerical advantage. And they wouldn't get reinforcements while the Summer Islanders would fight at home and could raise more levies to cover their loses.

The series epilogue will be a Jalabar Xho POV with a ragtag bunch of ships patched together from the fleets of the Ironborn, the Redwynes, the Manderlys and Aurane Waters, setting sail to reclaim the land of his home. Jalabar himself will travel astride a great black dragon.

Are the Dothraki renowned archers? I don't recall them using anything other than arakhs. It seems like the kind of culture where ranged fighting would be considered cowardly.

That is the assumption. They learn to shoot and ride from the time they are children and do so all their lives.

Conquering a completely foreign people without establishing your own colonies or having a population there already is going to be an extremely difficult task. On top of that, the Summer Islands are distant from the mainland of Westeros and unfamiliar to its people.

Jalabar Xho is a Pince of the Summer Island, I believe he will have some power base over there, and some people will join his cause. it's not conquering, but restoring an ally to his land. (and of course creating a political/financial treaty)

He apparently thought about helping Jalabar Xho reclaim Red Flower Vale, but he just kept putting him off, because there was a lot of drinking and whoring and hunting to do in Westeros, and then a boar killed him. Cersei mentions that he would always tell Xho "maybe next year"...

Providing assistance to an exiled claimant to a throne is entirely different from trying to conquer a land with an army of outsiders. Presumably, Jalabar Xho would have some friends and supporters willing to provide money, troops, and knowledge of the land to help with the campaign. And conquering one principality in the Summer Islands is a much different task than trying to take the whole thing.

Jalabar Xho is a Pince of the Summer Island, I believe he will have some power base over there, and some people will join his cause. it's not conquering, but restoring an ally to his land. (and of course creating a political/financial treaty)

That's different than a conquest, as I just remarked above. I think we were both posting at the same time saying the same thing for different reasons.

I was remarking about the possibility of Robert taking the entire archipelago for himself.

'The Rise of Dorne' I hope this answers some of your questions.

http://awoiaf.wester...ex.php/Dothraki

and from the site:

Military

The Dothraki are nomadic warriors; they ride better than any Westerosi knight. Light cavalry forms the backbone of their power, with warriors wielding curved cavalry swords called arakhs, curved bows, and whips. They eschew armor as they consider such cowardly and typically wear painted vests and horsehair breeches.

While the khalasar is on the move, their scouts range far ahead, looking for prey or enemies. Outriders guard the flanks.[13] After the battles, The jaqqa rhan, the "mercy men", move among corpses and use heavy axes to take the heads of the dead and dying alike, while small girls with baskets go about pulling arrows from bodies to be re-used later.

Inspiration

See also: Themes in A Song of Ice and Fire

GRRM stated that the Dothraki were fashioned as an amalgam of a number of steppe and plains cultures. Mongols and Huns, certainly, but also Alans, Sioux, Cheyenne, and various other Amerindian tribes... seasoned with a dash of pure fantasy. Resemblance to Arabs or Turks is coincidental, extent that the Turks were also originally horsemen of the steppes.

I'm not implying anything. They use bows, whips and arakhs

you are implying. of course they use bows. but are they second only to the summer islanders? the defeat by the unsullied infantry, points to this not being the case. this is probably an intentional omission on Martin's part, since the Mongols were essentially unstoppable in their day.

Archived