Israeli Elections & Politics- Jan 22-2013

DaveRoid

Why is Israel swinging so hard to the right? It used to be a fairly cosmoplitan. More like Europe than the US. What has happened?

There is no middle in Israel anymore. Bibi is the closest thing to the middle of the road. The majority of Israelis while very liberal, have given up on a legitimate peace partner, and don't trust the U.N. or Obama. Hamas is a terror organization that has sworn to destroy them, and the P.A. has a unity goverment with them as well as a long history of condoning terror. (Long before 67 and the Disputed Territories).

I am not an expert by any means, but I assumed that demographic shifts are a big part of the reason - ultra orthodox groups are having way more children, and as a result, far right groups have a growing support base.

The same Ultra-Orthodox (Charedim) groups having many children also don't vote.

Argh, I can resists bad politics but can't resist bad demographics. Haredim do vote - and with exceptionally high turnout and often block discipline. The last twenty years shift right is less about that demographic shift and more about a generation who grew up between one intifada and another, in a racist, right-controlled education system with disproportionally influential religious-zionist politics coming of age.

Argh, I can resists bad politics but can't resist bad demographics. Haredim do vote - and with exceptionally high turnout and often block discipline. The last twenty years shift right is less about that demographic shift and more about a generation who grew up between one intifada and another, in a racist, right-controlled education system with disproportionally influential religious-zionist politics coming of age.

You seem to have no idea what Haredim are. They are not one group. There sects are as different as the various political parties of Israel. And in the most recent election Rabbi Urbach, the leader of the largest Haredi Sect ordered his followers not to vote.

The last twenty years shift right is less about that demographic shift and more about a generation who grew up between one intifada and another, in a racist, right-controlled education system with disproportionally influential religious-zionist politics coming of age.

Genuine question, because there are two ways to read that explanation and I don’t know which it is:

Do you mean

1. that the public education system in Israel is a education system with disproportionally influential religious-zionist politics, or

2. there is a large group of Israelis who attended a specific education system with disproportionally influential religious-zionist politics (while large other groups did not).

Archived