Israeli Elections & Politics- Jan 22-2013

DaveRoid

In retrospect it's really amazing that he knows the word takhles, too bad he didn't pick up dugri, Bibi would've appreciated it.

There's no ideological differences, even if anyone there still knows what their ideological line is, just a question of tactics and appearances, at best.

I don't think there's even the tactics question, Herzog won't enter the coalition as well and there are no upcoming elections in sight, on economics front she's in opposition, on the lack of peace process she criticizes the government, I don't see what he he has to add.

Bibi's problem is not his translator. Bibi's problem is Bibi. "They don't just know the language...and the...uh...culture...they're...uh...they came from here!" Profound commentary on a seventh of the Israeli population indeed

Well that's why he has a Foreign Minister (btw where is he?I'd expect him to be first in line to kiss the Vova's ass) to deal with this mysterious segment of Israeli population.Also Speaker of the parliament and Deputy Foreign Minister!On the other hand when Peres was in Russia for Jewish Museum Thing opening he thanked Russia for Pale of Settlement(it apparently helped preserve Jewish character and study Torah), so I guess bibi desreves some kind of award for not thanking Russia for Kishinev Pogrom or something.

Seems to be a new party system for Labour, every knesset member must eventually become a party leader.Heck they can even do it seasonally, Herzog in the winter, Shelly in the fall, Cabel in the summer and Meirav Michaeli in the fall.Also maybe this way they'll get Peretz and Mitzna back.

• 2 weeks later...

I like Bibi best when he is clearly way, way off the rails. When he's just a regular grubby rightwinger I loathe him, but he sometimes has these...flights of fancy that bring me a strange sense of benevolence towards him.

Seriously, Israeli parties seem to change names more often than a normal person changes underwear. I get the impression that each parlamentarian should just have his own party, would make things easier.

Seriously, Israeli parties seem to change names more often than a normal person changes underwear. I get the impression that each parlamentarian should just have his own party, would make things easier.

it's not really that they really change names all that much, they merge and split up a lot and most of the times there is a split or a merge they feel they are obliged to come up with a new name.Case in point Jewish Home is the union of Mafdal and National Union(which itself is the union of several ever changing far-right parties) one could see why the felt Mafal-National Union as a name leaves to be desired.

Labour have been Labour for ages. They just change everything else about the party every eight months.

Well, not to long ago they were Labour-meimad, then Meimad broke away and apparently died in some dark corner of Israeli political map.

They merged with the Green party (no, there's really no logical connection. It would not be bested until the Pro-Marijuana-Pensioners merger in the next election.) (Not, not that Green party. The other Green Party, the one with Alon Tal who joined Livni this time around) and ran as the Green Movement in 2009.

Archived