Israeli Elections & Politics- Jan 22-2013

DaveRoid

Well, theres all the gossip about it being purely a personal thing with Sara Netanyahu, which just sounds nasty...

I heard it as well, but IMHO there has to be something stronger than mere dislike, that would explain the fit\ring, but not the subsequent hostility.And hostility is pretty, one sided on Bibi's part, while from what we know you would expect Bennet to feel more wronged, maybe he just hides his animosity better?Anyway the whole thing is nuts, I can see it breaking the coalition in the long run.

About Bennet and secular settler, well in Ariel he scored 16% against Likuds 53, better in Maale Adumim (42% to 21%) but I think that Maale Adumim is less secular, in Alfei Menashe he scored only 9% coming fourth behind Lapid and Labor.Don't get me wrong, I think he has secular/mesoraty support, but I think it is as much on the west side the of green line as on the east side (in raw numbers most probably more).

What gets me is apparently there were an honest to god, 4-5 seats at least, utterly up in the air between Lapid and Bennet

I think that's the type who voted for Pensioners in 2006, probably young, dissatisfied and looking for change and new faces, that they went for Lapid I incline to we as a positive sign (assuming it's because Bibi succeeded in scaring them with Orit Struk nad generally they don't believe in Mystical Connection of People of Israel with Land of Israel that can Summon Messiah and not because of Lapids hair)

And, yeah, it looking more and more like it's going to be an Anti-Haredi cheap populism covering up hard right economic+underground hard right political government. Things will suck.

Trying to look for parts of glass that are full, they can't possibly suck more that the outgoing government, right?At least talks of bringing back the limit looks promising, more so if the rumours are true and Bibi will ship Erdan to UN, Steinitz to Washington and Yulik to Riga as compensation.If only he could also ship Feiglin to Iraq ,HKatz to North Korea and Miri Regev to Iceland that would be great.Don't know where we can ship Liberman's pokemons though.

Why would you do that to Iceland!?!?

Fieglin would probably do swimmingly in Iraq though.

I think that's the type who voted for Pensioners in 2006, probably young, dissatisfied and looking for change and new faces, that they went for Lapid I incline to we as a positive sign (assuming it's because Bibi succeeded in scaring them with Orit Struk nad generally they don't believe in Mystical Connection of People of Israel with Land of Israel that can Summon Messiah and not because of Lapids hair)

Sigh, the mythical center-center vote. I am pleased that they broke for Lapid in the end, of course, but the waffling in the first place is nuts, imo. How can you possibly think that it's maybe Orit Struck or maybe Ofer Shelach, eh, I dunno, i'll make my mind up on the day? It suggests to me that for a while Bennet really did manage to insinuate himself as some great centrist new-politics, above-ideology, friendly young reformist hope, which is so duplicitous it's hilarious.

I wasn't aware of Orit Strik's existence until I saw Likud's video, I sincerely doubt that those on the fence knew her.I am pretty sure they are supposed to be apolitical.Bennet's campaign in that respect was smart, active use of social media (including Chuck Bennet meme), putting secular Ayelet Shaked upfront and hiding his other homunculi, speeches in the vein of course commander in Bahad1, very vague inner centered program.Looks like hunting the apoliticals to me.I guess that the fact they went to Lapid is either because Likud's negative campaign worked or they decided to use google before voting after all :dunno:

Why would you do that to Iceland!?!?

Well, I figure it's cold there so it might cool her down a bit, and in the worst case she wouldn't be able to build a rabid follower army from Icelandians.They are harmless.

Anyway , looks like Obama is coming for a visit, probably to pressure for negotiations, I wonder how Bennet will eat that.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems there are complications in giving birth to a coalition. Bibi surprisingly (at least for me) is reluctant on Lapid-Bennet coalition and desperately persists in the courtship of Yekhimovitch, I still think that we will get my predicted coalition, but the spat between Bibi and Bennet is heartwarming and somewhat entertaining.

In addition to all that it seems that something is rotten within Likud, at least today's business with seemingly fake letter of complaint about Gidon Saar's sexual misconduct I can only explain with fight over future ministries or even Bibi's heirloom.

Is Yair Lapid going to now retroactively ruin everything ever? The Eurovision thread sent me clicking through old songs on Youtube (that and the test I have tommorrow) and just try to

and be able to think of anything but his smarmy face.

Aaaaand we have a first coalition member, Livni in exchange for Ministry of Justice (I guess that means an end of the era of non-MK ministers brought solely to curb Bagatz's power) and some vague title which probably amounts to chief negotiator with Palestinians (probably we can expect next installment of Al-Jazeera's unmasking Livni's sexual escapades with Arab diplomats) and the Ministry of Environment over which, it appears, there is already a fight between Peretz and Mitzna.

Bennet is predictably unhappy, Likud in , for something like tenth time this week, accused him of lying.Their lack of originality disappoints me.

just try to
and be able to think of anything but his smarmy face.

at least his silent, personally I think it's his speaking habits, that are most annoying

Maybe Livni+Bennet is what he's aiming for? Bibi can set them at each other's throats and wave each as a fig leaf to someone, while inertia keeps settlements growing, but quietly. That let's him keep out Haredim, I think, and Yair Lapid gets to do some obnoxious anti-Haredi pompom waving.

That was what I expected , but strangely he hadn't agreed with either Lapid or Bennet yet, and engages in mutual shit throwing with the latter.Moreso he appears to chase Labour offering them finance ministry. I think that there is something in colalition agreement proposed by both that he doesn't like. I think we can waive the economic or Palestinian question as obstacles, so it's either he doesn't want to keep out Haredim (maybe considers them better allies) or he doesn't want to limit the number of ministers (can't give enough seats to all the power hungry gargoyles in Likud).

There is a third option, that he really, really doesn't want Bennet and wants to keep him out, or at least limit his influence.

Or it's all some kind of weird political game beyond the reason of the mortals.

That's... Special. How much do you have to hate someone to refuse to shake their hand on their birthday?

As far as I know there is no bad history between them, simply there is one ministerial job for two men, an it seem that though Mitzna is ranked higher in the party, Peretz is favorite to get it.That's all it takes.

I realize this is the least interesting question ever in Israeli politics ever, and utterly irrelevant anywhere but in my deluded brain and it's all back-patting and ego and cabinet math and all that said...which of them would actually make a better Environmental Protection Minister? It's not actually a joke office, I mean. Someone actually needs to do that dirty (excuse the pun) job. Mitzna has the more impressive administrative, hands-on record, between the two, I think. (Possibly i'm not brushed up on my Peretz biography, but Mitzne might even have the only administrative record between them. Flunking Lebanon 2 doesn't count.)

I imagine that Mitzna had to deal with environmental problems during his mayorships, in Haifa it's fairly important issue I reckon, ashamed to say that I don't really know how are things in Yerukham. On the other hand i think that some of the skills of Histradut leader might come handy in the job.I guess could live with both at them at the post, the Movement on the other hand might be headed to end.

Archived