Dragons Are Not a Westerosi Paternity Test

Several times in the past couple of days, I've seen people suggest that Dany would somehow be able to use her dragons tp "prove" that Aegon is a fake. The thinking, I assume, being that if the dragons burn and/or attack him, he can't possibly be the real Aegon.

This does not make any sense, in either direction.

As I hope we all know, Targaryens are not immune to fire. And I also don't think it's true that all dragons will be attracted to all Targaryens (given that Rhaenyra, who was definitely a real-deal Targaryen, was eaten by a dragon, presumably after it cooked her well-done first as dragons are wont to do). So a dragon not liking Aegon and/or incinerating him does not automatically prove that he's fake.

On the flip side, if people with Valyrian/Targaryen blood do have some kind of special bond with dragons, and Aegon is a Blackfyre as many of us believe, Viserion letting Aegon ride him is also not proof that he's "the" Aegon. Namely because Blackfyres are still Targaryens.

And that's assuming that this "dragon blood" affinity is even a real thing. Viserion seemed to like Ben Plumm, but we also saw Quentyn burned alive by Rhaegal.

This same principle holds for a lot of people in Westeros, by the way. If magical dragon blood is actually a thing, the dragons are liable to latch onto any number of people in Westeros, namely Stannis, Shireen, the Martells, any of Aegon IV's eight zillion bastard descendents, the Longwaters family, Bloodraven, Jon, and on. I'd be careful about using the dragons as a litmus test, because you might not like the results (by which I mean, super special dragon blood really isn't all that rare in Westeros and you might end up with dragonriders you might not want; or, be careful what you wish for.)

Tl;dr: How the dragons respond to Aegon does not prove anything one way or the other and I don't know why it keeps getting brought up.

Apple, I think that Dany will simply know in her gut that he is fake due to the visions. Ser Baristan and Tyrion might find more info to back this up from the tattered prince as well. The people of Westeros will mostly flock to him because of "WHO THEY WANT HIM TO BE" in these troubling times. Dany will have to be "The slayer of lies" in order to correct this. As you know, I think Dany might be worse for Westeros than a fake Aegon but what will be will be.

Apple, I think that Dany will simply know in her gut that he is fake due to the visions. Ser Baristan and Tyrion might find more info to back this up from the tattered prince as well. The people of Westeros will mostly flock to him because of "WHO THEY WANT HIM TO BE" in these troubling times. Dany will have to be "The slayer of lies" in order to correct this. As you know, I think Dany might be worse for Westeros than a fake Aegon but what will be will be.

Oh I agree that she'll "know" that he's fake. My issue is the idea that the dragons themselves can used to "prove" his identity one way or the other.

Oh I agree that she'll "know" that he's fake. My issue is the idea that the dragons themselves can used to "prove" his identity one way or the other.

Yeah, the dragons are still a wild card to me, Drogon might be bonded to her but if the other two dragons make it to Westeros alive, whoever is controlling them will have them attack whom they want

Honestly I see no real way to prove he is not the real Aegon. I think if JonCon were to find out the truth then maybe he is the one to say Aegon is a mummer. Word is already in KL via Randyl Tarly who believes the boy is fake and has made that known, but I don't know if that's enough for people to overlook his features (hair, eyes, etc.) I think the fact that he is using the Golden Company and they broke a contract, something they never do is what's going to be Aegon's undoing. The Golden Company fighting with a Targaryen is one thing, but breaking a contract to do so is too suspicious.

Could you imagine if there was an equivalent Stark paternity test that was favored by the fandom? Anyone with an affinity towards canines, or more specifically wolves, or more exactly direwolves, could possibly be a Stark. Secret Stark theories would abound. With that model, Osha and Hodor and Jojen and Meera are definitely Starks. Samwell Tarly is probably a secret Stark. The Cleganes may be closely related to Starks due to their canine affinity. Probably Ramsay as well.

Yeah, this idea seems ridiculous.

Well, it has been referenced that the Dragons prove who Dany is and the Starks are the only humans to have been known to have Direwolf pets. In Aegon's case, he has mainly Jon connington. Other people have similar features but Connington due to his "close friendship" with Rheagar is what will seal the deal. Wrong of course but it will be good enough for the vast multatude.

While I do agree with AM that dragons are not the Targ version of paternity tests, I can't help but asking if Dany herself is aware of this. I wouldn't put it pass Dany to try to use the dragons as such. She is guided by the dragons affinity with people to a certain extent. For example she remarks on how they liked Ben Plumm much like herself, who was happy to betray her for the current winning side, something that genuinely shocked her as oppose to Tyrion who took the measure of Ben Plumm from the very first. She took Quentyn to see the dragons and his reaction to them seems to have settle her own opinion of him.

I could see the smallfolk being dumb enough to roll with it. If Dany uses a dragon to kill Aegon, the public will probably accept that as him not being a Targ, he will be dead anyway. If he rides the dragon people will likely believe he is a Targ.This of course is not logical, but governments often get away with things that have no logic.

Dragon paternity tests arent any more absurd than the Salem Witch Trials.

I wonder if Dany couldn't run a little propaganda campaign against Aegon based on the misinformation debunked in the OP. Spread rumors, etc., about the implications of the dragons disliking/frying/eating Aegon. Plenty of people would buy it, sure as sin. Just another little way to inflate popular support.

Well, it has been referenced that the Dragons prove who Dany is and the Starks are the only humans to have been known to have Direwolf pets. In Aegon's case, he has mainly Jon connington. Other people have similar features but Connington due to his "close friendship" with Rheagar is what will seal the deal. Wrong of course but it will be good enough for the vast multatude.

Dany proves who Dany is, the dragons don't have anything to do with identifying her. She was known to have existed for years before the dragons. She has an unbroken line of legitimacy...meaning that there has always been someone with her who can identify that she was the child taken with Viserys across the Narrow Sea. She was also physically grown when the dragons came about.

It's not the same thing when it comes to Rickon who was about four when we last saw him and will be closer to seven or eight when we see him again. The amount of physical change during that age spread would be significant enough to warrant some sort of proof of his identity, especially as he was probably too young to have developed major identifying features for those who aren't closely related or saw him often during his first three years of life. He was also traveling with an unrelated wildling woman who few had met, unlike Dany who traveled with her brother, the Dothraki, Jorah and Barristan.

Dany proves who Dany is, the dragons don't have anything to do with identifying her. She was known to have existed for years before the dragons. She has an unbroken line of legitimacy...meaning that there has always been someone with her who can identify that she was the child taken with Viserys across the Narrow Sea. She was also physically grown when the dragons came about.

It's not the same thing when it comes to Rickon who was about four when we last saw him and will be closer to seven or eight when we see him again. The amount of physical change during that age spread would be significant enough to warrant some sort of proof of his identity, especially as he was probably too young to have developed major identifying features for those who aren't closely related or saw him often during his first three years of life. He was also traveling with an unrelated wildling woman who few had met, unlike Dany who traveled with her brother, the Dothraki, Jorah and Barristan.

The Dragons do have a role in this. All of the people she had from her childhood with her was only her brother, viserys. She also has Ser Barristan Selmy, whom I do not even think anyone in Westeros has realized fully except some dornishmen.

The Dragons do have a role in this. All of the people she had from her childhood with her was only her brother, viserys. She also has Ser Barristan Selmy, whom I do not even think anyone in Westeros has realized fully except some dornishmen.

How do the dragons have a role in this? They knew who she was before the dragons. They still know who she is.

She had Viserys, yes. Jorah joined up with both of them when she got married. Viserys died, but there was still Jorah there who could identify her. Later Barristan joined up and he stayed after Jorah was cast out. It's an unbroken line of legitimacy. That's completely ignoring all of the people who've met with Dany throughout her life who could identify her. She has never been in hiding. Not like Rickon or like Aegon. The dragons do nothing to validate her identity because they already know who she is. No one is questioning who she is.

How do the dragons have a role in this? They knew who she was before the dragons. They still know who she is.

She had Viserys, yes. Jorah joined up with both of them when she got married. Viserys died, but there was still Jorah there who could identify her. Later Barristan joined up and he stayed after Jorah was cast out. It's an unbroken line of legitimacy. That's completely ignoring all of the people who've met with Dany throughout her life who could identify her. She has never been in hiding. Not like Rickon or like Aegon. The dragons do nothing to validate her identity because they already know who she is. No one is questioning who she is.

Unless... Dany AND Viserys are impostors!

This hasn't been referenced actually, at least not in Daenerys' case. In Westeros, she is independently famous without the dragons. She and Viserys had a very high profile in the Free Cities before the events of the series

Don't forget shaggy dog... he'll probably help id Rickon.

I wasn't forgetting Shaggydog. He helps identify Rickon because Rickon was a toddler when he disappeared with an unrelated wildling woman. The direwolves were well known because they were the first and only seen south of the wall in 200 years. Rickon himself was too young to have any other identifying features. Shaggydog in this case is like Egg's ring.

But the direwolves aren't paternity tests to determine anyone who might be of Stark blood. Any boy about Rickon's age could show up with a direwolf and be taken for Rickon. We never see the fandom coming up with secret Stark theories when the direwolves show an affinity for someone which is why it's sort of silly to think that the dragons showing an affinity towards a person is some sort of clue that they are a secret Targaryen.

Not arguing. Maury Povich forever, but not like this. Not with reptiles shall we decide who the father was.

If Aegon can pass the dragon test and becomes a rider, though, Daenerys may consider him to be part of the family no questions asked, or very few. Which she'd then come to regret later on. (And I've long believed Arya to be a secret Stark).

Archived