Why does no-one invade the iron islands?

locke and key

whilst having a large fleet the ironborn don't have a very large army and theyre not trained to fight in traditional warfare style, they're much more geared towards raiding and reaving than fighting battles and they're not very disciplined.

so why has no kingdom like the north, westerlands or riverlands ever tryed to invade, If you think about it the iron islands would be pretty useless in battle and they have no particular loyalty to their liege lord as can be seen at the kingsmoot so they would easily traitor to an invading king.

It would solve a lot of problems as it would stop their constant reaving. and in the age of heroes before house greyiron started their reaving traditons I can imagine a proud house like the river kings (house Mudd) would've liked the idea of ruling them and you can imagine that the andals who were so devout they tattoed seven pointed stars on their chests wouldn't be happy with their worship of a false god.

The only reason I can think for not invading is how barren and infertile they are, but the north is pretty much just as barren so it wouldn't be losing by taking control.

Anyone, else got any idea why no-ones ever bothered to invade these easy targets.

1. Andals did conquer Iron Islands, however they let them keep their religion of the Drowned God, it seemed cool.

2. The Iron Islands don't have much vegetation or resources they live off of reaving and fishing because that is the only way they can survive.

3. The Iron Islands got sacked by Robert, Eddard, Arryn and some Lannisters they killed Balon's sons (save Theon), and made him bend the knee. Balon is a bully and the Iron Born are bullies.

No one wants those cold rocks in the middle of nowhere. . . not even the Iron Born.

The Lannisters probably don't care much because they are really only trying to take over parts of the North, and the North is barely in any position to defend itself, muchless invade the Iron Isles. Stannis doesn't have the resources to make a play for the Iron Isles either, but he does enjoy killing invaders.

Because they're not worth fighting over. They're practically worthless. House Hoare wanted to expand in the Riverlands so they own something else besides salt and rock. The Islands aren't fertile, they don't have any resources like metals or rare earths...like I said, worthless.

In addition to having nothing worth conquering, I think the Iron Islands are like the North: They cannot be held by an outsider. Yes over the centuries the Iron Throne has had some control, but always through a local warlord, such as the Greyjoys.

In the context of the War of the Five Kings, the islands hold no strategic value to anyone but the Ironborn themselves and they only use them as a base to invade useful places. In addition, each of the other factions is spread so thin they can barely hold their own on the mainland, let alone bother about the Iron Islands.

If the Iron Islands were located in the Narrow Sea, like the Stepstones or Dragonstone, they would be a much more worthwhile conquest. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on PoV, I guess) they are on the wrong side of Westeros. Basically they live on some rocks so s**ty that everyone leaves them alone.

Because they're not worth fighting over. They're practically worthless. House Hoare wanted to expand in the Riverlands so they own something else besides salt and rock. The Islands aren't fertile, they don't have any resources like metals or rare earths...like I said, worthless.

No, that's not quite true they're called Iron Islands for a reason. Theon mentioned that their wealth comes from the copper and iron in the earth and that a main point of the reaving was to get thralls to work mines.

In those days, the

ironborn did not work mines; that was labor for the captives

brought back from the hostings,

If truth be told, the miners have it worse than either,

breaking their backs down in the dark, and for what? Iron,

lead, tin, those are our treasures.

Edit: Spaces added.

No, that's not quite true they're called Iron Islands for a reason. Theon mentioned that their wealth comes from the copper and iron in the earth and that a main point of the reaving was to get thralls to work mines.

So, they still have Iron mines there? I was under the impression that they were useless right now...

In addition to having nothing worth conquering, I think the Iron Islands are like the North: They cannot be held by an outsider. Yes over the centuries the Iron Throne has had some control, but always through a local warlord, such as the Greyjoys.

In the context of the War of the Five Kings, the islands hold no strategic value to anyone but the Ironborn themselves and they only use them as a base to invade useful places. In addition, each of the other factions is spread so thin they can barely hold their own on the mainland, let alone bother about the Iron Islands.

If the Iron Islands were located in the Narrow Sea, like the Stepstones or Dragonstone, they would be a much more worthwhile conquest. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on PoV, I guess) they are on the wrong side of Westeros. Basically they live on some rocks so s**ty that everyone leaves them alone.

:agree:

Well it is possible to invade the Iron Islands but you have to take care of the Iron Fleet first so you can land your troops. The Ironborn can tear apart your forces unless you neutralize them. Like how Stannis smashed them at Fair Isle. Without that victory Robert would of had a hard time landing on Pyke to storm it. Those islands are harder to take then you would think. Most likely why those bastards are still alive

Not much to gain, and they'd shred your navy in the process. Why not annihilate them? Somebody else would take up piracy. Better to have someone with something to lose and nominal allegiance to the Iron Throne plying the trade, at least you know who to talk to or hold accountable.

Some people prefer their crime organized to disorganized.

Archived