The Physics of Eating a Horse's Heart

Blue Rose Prince

Another funny little fact: after fasting for a whole day and night, you won't be able to eat that much at once. You'd think you could eat a horse, but the felling of fullness comes surprisingly quickly. Been there, done that.

Yeah... It all doesn't add up. Well, maybe if by some random fluke they got a stallion with abnormally tiny heart. A Littlefinger among stallions, let's say.

Yeah, nah, that's bull. She's described as a young, petite girl. Her stomach probably can't stretch far enough to accommodate 9 pounds of meat at the same time.

Many competative food eaters are small asian women. Its preaty impressive how much some of them can eat.

Also, we breed horses today to have larger hearts than they had in the past. We want race horses to have larger hearts so they can pump blood more effieciently. Thus increasing the time a horse can deliever oxygen to their muscle tissue while under excertion. This allows the horse to run faster longer. Even horses that are not bred for the track will still have ancesters that were origionally bred for racing. My beautiful buckskin quarter horse mare was bred for showing (now a family horse), three of her grandparents ran on the track and her sire did as well.

Horse hearts have been increasing in size for as long as we have been selectively breeding them specifically to race.

The normal size of a thoroughbred heart in 1789 was 6 pounds.

Sorry for the horse history, but as someone who knows a lot about horses, I don't think Dany being able to eat a whole Dothrak horse heart is that unrealistic (because I don't think Dothrak horses have 9 pound hearts).

She eats like a dragon should be.

Quite the opposite. If we take it as foreshadowing or symbolism, she does it exactly the way a dragon won't do it. They would sure roast it first. She eats it raw.

Which I think might foreshadow how going about her business unprepared is doing and will be doing for her. As opposed to Aegon the Conqueror, who had his invasion long planned.

Anyone know Pharlap? Australians will. Wyman Manderly would have passed before finishing.

Phar Lap (1926–1932) was one of the greatest race horses ever! His heart was remarkable for its size, weighing 13.6 lbs (6.2 kg), compared to the average horse's heart at the time of 7 lbs (3.2 kg).

Secretariat's heart was estimated to be 22 pounds (10 kg). Many of the legends in racing had supersized hearts!

And I agree, not even Wyman Manderly could have finished Phar Lap's massive heart much less Secretariat's. :lol:

Just as a matter of interest, I just saw the "anatomy" of that show. Apparently, the "horse's heart" was made of gummibear with pasta for the arteries, and sugar blood. The shoot took many hours, Emilia Clarke had to actually eat quite a lot of the stuff, and apparently her "almost puke" was near the end of the shoot and was quite genuine!

Definite BS. When you run across this sort of thing, you just look the other way and whistle like you never saw it.

^what he said

In the latest WoW sample chapter, similarly, there's a reference to Oberyn Martell's bastard teenaged daughter jousting.

Well... I'm thinking a 16-year old girl would almost certainly have major difficulties trying to hoist a 12-foot-long tourney lance from one end, keep it parallel to the ground, and somehow strike a trained knight with it... while riding a horse and wearing armor... all before the knight hits her first. Most girls can't do a pullup.

she's actually only 14.

Definite BS. When you run across this sort of thing, you just look the other way and whistle like you never saw it.

In the latest WoW sample chapter, similarly, there's a reference to Oberyn Martell's bastard teenaged daughter jousting.

Well... I'm thinking a 16-year old girl would almost certainly have major difficulties trying to hoist a 12-foot-long tourney lance from one end, keep it parallel to the ground, and somehow strike a trained knight with it... while riding a horse and wearing armor... all before the knight hits her first. Most girls can't do a pullup.

Well, she certainly wasn't average. And a girl of ten-and-four would have less trouble with the task than, for example, a certain ten-year-old boy.

Archived