Why did the Iron Throne even ever tolerate the existence of the Ironborn?

Stannis 4 Prez

Well they pay their taxes and contribute to the realm by providing certain resources.

Wiping out an entire kingdom is quite difficult and won't have any positive effects in the future.

The real question is why Balon wasn't deposed and Lord Paramount of the Iron Islands given to another person,removing Greyjoy from the succession line but this is a question for another thread. :drunk:

I always thought that after the Greyjoy rebellion, they didn't reave & pillage (are they the same thing?) They do continually call it "the old way". Maybe there is some, limited small scale pillage, but there is always trouble with bordering territories that have different liege lords (in the case of the ironborn, borders include sailing in or near to there seas). And as has been said, iron mines.

I always thought that after the Greyjoy rebellion, they didn't reave & pillage (are they the same thing?) They do continually call it "the old way". Maybe there is some, limited small scale pillage, but there is always trouble with bordering territories that have different liege lords (in the case of the ironborn, borders include sailing in or near to there seas). And as has been said, iron mines.

They didn't reave because their fleet got smashed by Stannis. In the subsequent years, they have slowly built it up again, and that's why they are back on the prowl.

There is probably some idiot petty lord or landed knight out there somewhere chopping down his trees and selling them to the Ironborn for a healthy mark up. They need to figure out who it is and pay him off to cut off their supply.

The continent should have stomped down on them after Balon's rebellion. Perhaps not genocide (although with Tywin Lannister involved.... how come did he just shrug off the destruction of his fleet? Seems a bit plot hole-ish IMO), but removal of the Greyjoys and a partial blockade, if it can be enforced. The Ironborn are certainly more trouble than they're worth.

It's implied they went reeving elsewhere in the world during the last ten years. Dagmar and a number of other raiders are covered in exotic trinkets they paid the iron price for, and it's mentioned that the ironborn are feared as far away as the Summer Islands and Slaver's Bay.

The continent should have stomped down on them after Balon's rebellion. Perhaps not genocide (although with Tywin Lannister involved.... how come did he just shrug off the destruction of his fleet? Seems a bit plot hole-ish IMO), but removal of the Greyjoys and a partial blockade, if it can be enforced. The Ironborn are certainly more trouble than they're worth.

King Bob wouldn't have let him do anythign in retaliation after the war, at least not directly. And I suspect the Iron Islands are too isolationist for Tywin to harm them through court intrigue or economic pressure. But you're right, Tywin is not a forgiving man and I'm sure that had he managd to secure the Throne under one of his grandchildren, he'd have come down like a sledgehammer on them. This is also yet another reason why Balon was a blithering idiot for pinning his hopes on allying to Tywin rather than Robb, but I guess bards don't manage to get out to the Islands much and he hadn't heard The Rains Of Castamere

Archived