Which Westerosi King's body gets the parking lot treatment?

Mormont'sRaven

How about Robb? We basically don't know what the Freys did with the body after his mutilation. The Riverlands is a crossroads for many regions so I think modern developments could center there like better roads, malls and yes, parking lots. :D

I'm also thinking of Theon.

Rhaegar was cremated, per Targaryen tradition.

ETA: Here's the link to the SSM where GRRM mentions Rhaegar's cremation. It's also confirmed in the WoIaF app.

http://www.westeros..../SSM/Entry/2997

By whom, I wonder? Seems odd that Targaryen loyalists were allowed to recover the body, given Robert's overwhelming hate.

As to the original question, II favour the Renly option, based on his death in battle and having been on the "wrong" side, historically. Stannis would have equal, if not better, claim if he dies in the north and is buried unceremoniously somewhere.

Rhaegar was cremated, per Targaryen tradition.

ETA: Here's the link to the SSM where GRRM mentions Rhaegar's cremation. It's also confirmed in the WoIaF app.

http://www.westeros..../SSM/Entry/2997

Thank you :). I realized I had read that but forgotten it until now.

How about Robb? We basically don't know what the Freys did with the body after his mutilation. The Riverlands is a crossroads for many regions so I think modern developments could center there like better roads, malls and yes, parking lots. :D

I'm also thinking of Theon.

Well the good thing about Robb is that he'd be easy to identify. Not too many Kings with direwolf heads....

Well the good thing about Robb is that he'd be easy to identify. Not too many Kings with direwolf heads....

And by virtue of Bran's extended life as a tree, getting DNA samples to prove that it's Robb would be much, much easier.

I was inspired by @Adulescentulus Carnifex so I'll also list Stannis. Possible scenario: Stannis will die somewhere in the North and will be interred at Castle Black. With the impending doom of the Night's Watch, the place may end up destroyed and rebuilt in modern times as a hotel complex for those who will venture North of the Wall for snowboarding and other extreme winter sports.

By whom, I wonder? Seems odd that Targaryen loyalists were allowed to recover the body, given Robert's overwhelming hate.

As to the original question, II favour the Renly option, based on his death in battle and having been on the "wrong" side, historically. Stannis would have equal, if not better, claim if he dies in the north and is buried unceremoniously somewhere.

Well, Robert was wounded on the Trident -- that's why it was Ned who led the vanguard to King's Landing -- so he might not have been in a position to desecrate the body. It could also be that the voices of reason around Robert (Ned and Jon Arryn) prevailed on him to let Rhaegar's body receive the traditional funerary rites.

You're welcome!

I was inspired by @Adulescentulus Carnifex so I'll also list Stannis. Possible scenario: Stannis will die somewhere in the North and will be interred at Castle Black. With the impending doom of the Night's Watch, the place may end up destroyed and rebuilt in modern times as a hotel complex for those who will venture North of the Wall for snowboarding and other extreme winter sports.

:cheers:

Well, Robert was wounded on the Trident -- that's why it was Ned who led the vanguard to King's Landing -- so he might not have been in a position to desecrate the body. It could also be that the voices of reason around Robert (Ned and Jon Arryn) prevailed on him to let Rhaegar's body receive the traditional funerary rites.

The only thing I can really see happening is someone spiriting it away in the confusion immediately following the battle. I doubt anyone could have talked Robert into surrendering it, and I'm not sure there's much of a political argument to be made for doing so anyway -- they'd just won the war, basically, so they wouldn't be doing much politicking with the surviving Targaryens.

Robb Stark unfortunately

The evidence indicates that Richard's body was stripped, mutilated (one writer said it was "sodomized with a sword" yuck!) thrown over a horse and paraded around before it was thrown naked, hands still tied together, into a too-small hole in the ground. This treatment sounds very Frey to me, assuming they'd even bother to dig a hole. So I vote Robb, too.

The evidence indicates that Richard's body was stripped, mutilated (one writer said it was "sodomized with a sword" yuck!) thrown over a horse and paraded around before it was thrown naked, hands still tied together, into a too-small hole in the ground. This treatment sounds very Frey to me, assuming they'd even bother to dig a hole. So I vote Robb, too.

Robb fits, although I could see Tyrion's body getting this sort of treatment as well, what with the Tyrion/Richard III connection.

Why are so many people mentioning Robb? His body has already been mutilated far worse than Richard's body was. Nobody decapitated Richard and then sowed a wolf's head onto his neck.

I believe the issue under discussion is whose body is likely to be thrown unceremoniously in a hole in the ground, only to be discovered 500 years later under a car park. Assuming Walder didn't have WolfRobb stuffed and kept on display, I think it's likely that it was just dumped in some hole (if not thrown into the Trident) because he's a defeated king whose body was desecrated, like Richard.

I believe the issue under discussion is whose body is likely to be thrown unceremoniously in a hole in the ground, only to be discovered 500 years later under a car park. Assuming Walder didn't have WolfRobb stuffed and kept on display, I think it's likely that it was just dumped in some hole (if not thrown into the Trident) because he's a defeated king whose body was desecrated, like Richard.

That is true, I think it most likely that the Freys just threw Robb's body in the river or buried somewhere. Perhaps they wanted to mock him further by throwing him in the river to mimic the Tully's funeral customs, as they did with Cat. Keeping the body on display would have been to provocative I think.

As Tyrion is the closest to Richard III, I'd have to vote for him.

Agreed. I wonder if Richard III was one of the sources for Tyrion.

Richard III, according to some, was a pretty good king, but his acts were unpopular with some of the nobles, which successfully rose up against him, and later vilified him, and used his deformity (exaggerating it) as a sign of his evil nature. (Note that most of what we know about Richard III was written after his rule - it would be like trying to learn about the Starks from what the writings of the Freys).

But Richard III most likely also did some bad things, or at least covered them up. The two princes in the tower died under his reign. It's debatable if he killed them, but it seems likely that he knew of their deaths and tried to hide it and conceal the murderer.

There's some parallels to Tyrion there, at least for the board strokes (if not for the details). Tyrion is also deformed. His deformity is used to vilify him. He appears to be a quite good hand, but his acts are unpopular with some. He's a scapegoat.

Archived