Did Shae love Tyrion?

Feralwolfchild

Tyrion did not treat Shae well. He hit the girl. He did not pay her. He put her life at risk. He insulted her. He made her work as a maid. He came in three strokes. Shae was a replacement for Tysha. Tyrion is a misogynist. He was possessive. He restricted Shae's contact with outside world. He did not let any decent or even normal men come near her. Why on earth would Shae like him?

There was always a slight hope that maybe, MAYBE she cared something for him. Tyrion deserves some happiness.

Maybe he'll find happiness with a woman when he learns to have a healthy relationship with one. He has a tendency to objectify them.

You are asking if a whore loved a client...let that sink in for a bit. He was a client, they had a business relationship. You love your business partners when they make you money, when they don't you find greener pastures or deeper pockets.

I don't think there's actually a general rule against a whore falling in love with her john. Although obviously that didn't happen in this story.

Tyrion did not treat Shae well. He hit the girl. He did not pay her. He put her life at risk. He insulted her. He made her work as a maid. He came in three strokes. Shae was a replacement for Tysha. Tyrion is a misogynist. He was possessive. He restricted Shae's contact with outside world. He did not let any decent or even normal men come near her. Why on earth would Shae like him?

"like"

As did Khal Drogo (Daenerys V)

You are asking if a whore loved a client...let that sink in for a bit. He was a client, they had a business relationship. You love your business partners when they make you money, when they don't you find greener pastures or deeper pockets.

Tyrion and Shae's story was no Pretty Woman.

There was a thread a few weeks back that suggested the Red Viper might have been in the process of poisoning Tywin Lannister prior to his death. I didn't get the chance to make my way through the whole thread. Did anybody ever raise the possibility that Shae was the one administering the poison? If she did have feelings for Tyrion, she might have fewed Tywin's disdain for whores as the reason she couldn't be with Tyrion. (There may have been other social obstacles to a more visible relationship with Tyrion, but Tywin would have surely been seen as the biggest obstacle - or at least the most giant of a Lannister obstacle.)

That is about the most jaundiced view one could take of it. Striking her was wrong, but hardly makes him a monster. How the hell do you know he didn't pay her? You really think she stuck around for as long as she did without getting paid? She chose the life of camp follower. She put her own damn life at risk. He insulted her! oh noes! the horror. Your post insults the intelligence of this board. He had her work as a maid. OH SEVEN HELLS! Please tell me this is a joke. He came in three strokes.........uh yea, I got nothin..........was a replacement for Tysha..........SO? He restricted her contact because he had to. If they were going to have their little business arrangement, it had to be hush-hush.

Of course she didn't love him, but I think she at least liked him, and felt bad about testifying against him. She definitely didn't deserve her end, though.

I don't think Book Shae loved him at all and was just using him for what she could get. I'm a little more torn on TV Shae, but that will get answered more this season.

TV shae is different because they want her death to be shocking. they cannot convey what tyrion thinks of her without changing something or the other

Lawl so coming in three strokes counts against him? Sometimes I wish I could get my bf off that quickly...

:shocked:

That is about the most jaundiced view one could take of it. Striking her was wrong, but hardly makes him a monster. How the hell do you know he didn't pay her? You really think she stuck around for as long as she did without getting paid? She chose the life of camp follower. She put her own damn life at risk. He insulted her! oh noes! the horror. Your post insults the intelligence of this board. He had her work as a maid. OH SEVEN HELLS! Please tell me this is a joke. He came in three strokes.........uh yea, I got nothin..........was a replacement for Tysha..........SO? He restricted her contact because he had to. If they were going to have their little business arrangement, it had to be hush-hush.

Of course she didn't love him, but I think she at least liked him, and felt bad about testifying against him. She definitely didn't deserve her end, though.

Exactly. Tyrion gave her her own manse, jewels and silks, guards. She lived a better life than most of KL's. she only had to sleep with one man, as opposed to god knows how many a girl at Chataya's sleeps with daily. She might have worked as a maid, but I'd take that over being a camp follower.

Wow. I guess Shae is a bitch for not liking the guy who hit and insulted her. Why does she not suffer through it? Tyrion took away the jewels and mansion from Shae. The jewels were the payment. Tyrion said it was for safekeeping but for Shae the payment was taken away. Shae did not choose the life of a camp follower. She was forced to run away from her home after her father attempted to rape her. We never see Tyrion thinking about that do we? How many times has Tyrion whined that daddy Lannister did not love him? Tyrion did not cut Shae's contact with the outside world completely. He kept ugly and gay men around. This is definitely not a sign of insecurity and possessive nature. Isn't Tyrion mad at Shae for insulting him with the giant of Lannister remark? It map payback.

He insulted her! oh noes! the horror. Your post insults the intelligence of this board. OH SEVEN HELLS! Please tell me this is a joke.

Wow. The vitriol.

TV shae is different because they want her death to be shocking. they cannot convey what tyrion thinks of her without changing something or the other

Agreed. In the book I was always waiting for the other shoe to drop with Shae, so when she showed up at the trial I wasn't surprised. Honestly wasn't that surprised that Tyrion found her in Tywin's bed either, after Varys mentioned that a certain tunnel was built so that a Kings Hand could visit whores unnoticed. I'm not sure what they are going to do with TV Shae...theoretically she could meet the same end but they've made her a much better character on the TV show (she's actually a decent friend of sorts to Sansa) and SO MANY have reacted poorly to Book Shae's end, I'm not sure if the producers will want to tarinish Tyrion the same way. Tyrion lost a fair number of fans when he killed her in the book, when I think it was clear he was just a client to her.

ETA: Not that it justifies what happened to her or how she died but just that it was clear she never loved him, where that isn't as clear at all on the show and I think would make her death at his hands much worse, even with the betrayal.

Wow. I guess Shae is a bitch for not liking the guy who hit and insulted her. Why does she not suffer through it? Tyrion took away the jewels and mansion from Shae. The jewels were the payment. Tyrion said it was for safekeeping but for Shae the payment was taken away. Shae did not choose the life of a camp follower. She was forced to run away from her home after her father attempted to rape her. We never see Tyrion thinking about that do we? How many times has Tyrion whined that daddy Lannister did not love him? Tyrion did not cut Shae's contact with the outside world completely. He kept ugly and gay men around. This is definitely not a sign of insecurity and possessive nature. Isn't Tyrion mad at Shae for insulting him with the giant of Lannister remark? It map payback.

Wow. The vitriol.

First of all, I didn't say she was a bitch. Personally, I'm quite warm to her. I think she's a pretty cool dude. Second of all, I think she did like him. Maybe she didn't. I don't know and I don't care. The question was did she love him. Obviously she didn't, or she would have refused to testify. How do you know that only the jewels were payment? They were together for a very long time. She probably got a dragon a week or something. Anyway, you're just speculating because it was never brought up after the first conversation. Fair point about running away from her father, but it's still not Tyrion's fault. Hell, being a human being, or a goat, or a horse, or a fly on the wall is dangerous in Westeros, especially KL. So what if we didn't see him think about it. Does it mean he didn't? Jesus Christ, they didn't live in the same world we do where we all have Dr. Phil to get us in touch with our feelings and be sensitive to each other. People are a bit busy trying not to get squeezed. He had a hell of a lot on his plate. Their relationship isn't without problems, and her murder was horrifying, but your take on it is awfully biased. In other words, you'll fit right in here. Welcome to the club.

First of all, I didn't say she was a bitch. Personally, I'm quite warm to her. I think she's a pretty cool dude. Second of all, I think she did like him. Maybe she didn't. I don't know and I don't care. The question was did she love him. Obviously she didn't, or she would have refused to testify. How do you know that only the jewels were payment? They were together for a very long time. She probably got a dragon a week or something. Anyway, you're just speculating because it was never brought up after the first conversation. Fair point about running away from her father, but it's still not Tyrion's fault. Hell, being a human being, or a goat, or a horse, or a fly on the wall is dangerous in Westeros, especially KL. So what if we didn't see him think about it. Does it mean he didn't? Jesus Christ, they didn't live in the same world we do where we all have Dr. Phil to get us in touch with our feelings and be sensitive to each other. People are a bit busy trying not to get squeezed. He had a hell of a lot on his plate. Their relationship isn't without problems, and her murder was horrifying, but your take on it is awfully biased. In other words, you'll fit right in here. Welcome to the club.

There is no mention of any dragons as payment to her. You are trying to bend over backwards to try and make Tyrion look good. Everything Tyrion had given Shae was taken back by Tyrion himself. If there ever was any payment in form of coin, it was taken away as well.

It looks like i hit a nerve with you. Perhaps that was the reason of your overreaction.

Archived