Benjin Stark > To be missing on purpose

Brian King

I think Benjin is alive and will somehow tie in the theory of Jon's parents. Perhaps Ned confided to him the real identity of Jon's parents. Now that Jon is 'dead'(Maybe released from the bonds of being a brother of the nights watch) he will meet Benjin. Now he figures out his heritage and unites with Daenerys perhaps as one of the dragon riders.

Either Benjen is in the Lands of always winter and beyhond or he is the hooded man in Winterfell. As far as the hooded man in Winterfell, I really like this idea but he was a man of honor. Benjen is most likely in the far, far, far north and has proboubly already had contact with some of the children, not in BR's cave.

I don't think his being a man of honour would prevent him from being in WF..Surely Benjen's intelligent enough to have gained a similar understanding to Qhorin.. Sometimes the outward appearance of honour , society's sense of what constitutes personal honour needs to be set aside, in the interests of the greater good.

I think Benjen is the HM , and if so , then he has had contact with the CoTF and has an understanding of why " There must always be a Stark in WF "

" I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls.".. That's plural, not just one wall... I think the NW vow will be shown to have been corrupted from it's original form and meaning, over time. And Benjen's behaviour in going on an extended mission , as well as Jon's actions in both letting the wildlings through the wall and planning to move against Ramsay , in no way break the true , original vow... The original vow had to do with keeping the Others in check.That's why the wall was raised. All of the bits about taking no wife, fathering no children, winning no glory ,etc. ,have to do with maintaining good relations with the Iron Throne , and seem to be added later... a concession made in exchange for being supplied with men.

All the "I am" parts ( the only parts Sam recites in order to pass the Black gate ) have to do with the cause the swearer promises to uphold ,and how he will act ...not where he will be while doing it. ... In this case, neither Benjen nor Jon will prove to have strayed from the intended spirit or meaning of the vow . Both have, in fact, "remained true".... Jon does not need to die , or even be released from his vow , as far as the magic incorporated in the wall ( and probably in WF) is concerned...Benjen could return to the wall if necessary , confident in the knowledge he's always stayed true to the cause.. again, as far as the magic is concerned.

ETA: :D Oops! Runaway Penguin , I see we're on the same wavelength.

Another thing that might allow Benjen to be at Winterfell is that religious authorities are allowed to release people from their vows. Tywin says the High Septon will release Jaime from the Kingsguard. The High Septon does release Joffrey from his engagement with Sansa. Mel offers to release Jon from his vows. Bloodraven appears to be the closest to a High Septon figure the old gods have. So if Benjen had encountered him, he might've released Benjen from his vows.

I always assumed Benjen had died and would return as a wight or an Other or whatever when they inevitably storm the wall, and Jon would have to kill the uncle he had been supporting and saying was alive the whole time.

Either way, I think Benjen is dead and we don't know about it because there are no PoV characters around him anymore.

I don't think his being a man of honour would prevent him from being in WF..Surely Benjen's intelligent enough to have gained a similar understanding to Qhorin.. Sometimes the outward appearance of honour , society's sense of what constitutes personal honour needs to be set aside, in the interests of the greater good.

I think Benjen is the HM , and if so , then he has had contact with the CoTF and has an understanding of why " There must always be a Stark in WF "

" I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls.".. That's plural, not just one wall... I think the NW vow will be shown to have been corrupted from it's original form and meaning, over time. And Benjen's behaviour in going on an extended mission , as well as Jon's actions in both letting the wildlings through the wall and planning to move against Ramsay , in no way break the true , original vow... The original vow had to do with keeping the Others in check.That's why the wall was raised. All of the bits about taking no wife, fathering no children, winning no glory ,etc. ,have to do with maintaining good relations with the Iron Throne , and seem to be added later... a concession made in exchange for being supplied with men.

All the "I am" parts ( the only parts Sam recites in order to pass the Black gate ) have to do with the cause the swearer promises to uphold ,and how he will act ...not where he will be while doing it. ... In this case, neither Benjen nor Jon will prove to have strayed from the intended spirit or meaning of the vow . Both have, in fact, "remained true".... Jon does not need to die , or even be released from his vow , as far as the magic incorporated in the wall ( and probably in WF) is concerned...Benjen could return to the wall if necessary , confident in the knowledge he's always stayed true to the cause.. again, as far as the magic is concerned.

ETA: :D Oops! Runaway Penguin , I see we're on the same wavelength.

I like this, and I had not picked up on the watcher of the WALLS ...good point!

• 5 months later...

I think benjins purpose is to show us the homeland of the others, he'll have either a POV chapter from the land of always winter or be seen via bran in the land of always winter. What he sees will give us the answer to what the others are, why they are coming south and perhaps how they can be stopped.

We know for a fact that the present generation of starks have improved warging abilities due the return of magic to the world.(dragons mainly)..we do not know how its affecting the older generation of starks....Ned died before the dragons were born..Benjen is the only Stark left who can show us how magic has affected his abilities(if any)...

GRRM did say that there will be no more new PoVs (need SSM). I'm sure benjen will meet up Jon/Ghost. or Bran for sure if hes to return.

What if Benjen, while north of the wall, finds out the Ned is dead. Since Ned is all he has, and his team has been killed by the walkers, he decides to march north (much like seagulls who fly out to sea) to kill himself. However in the process he finds the land of always winter and has been hanging out there the whole time.

Archived