R'hllor and the old gods

Three eyed wolf

I think that it is all about a balance between them. Both seem to be good and evil because they are gods and they smite as needed. I think that long ago in valyria the fire god overstepped this balance causing The Doom of Valyria. Now since the dragons have been gone for so long the ice god has gained too much power and tipped the scale and now it's own sort of apocalyptic event is starting in westeros with the white walkers taking over. Hopefully the newly born dragons can set things back into balance

:agree: I've basically said this on another thread. I really don't see one as good and one as evil, more like yin and yang or 2 sides of a coin.

I think people have focused on R'hollor because there are so many followers that we know about... When we learn more about the Great Other :drool: I think it will be more obvious they are equally important and a balance between them is vital to everything.

The old gods were Children of the Forest green seers. If they are the Great Other, too, why did the Children help the First Men defeat the Others in the Long Night?

Actually the children refer to the weirwoods as the old gods. Who ever said the children were still happy with man, it was man that destroyed them. The First men came and you had a war. Then they made peace, then the Others came and the children were strangely missing, the last hero searched the dead lands for years to find them. Then cam the Andels and they burned the old gods and the children. The Ghost of High heart tells us the Old gods have not forgotten what the first men did and do you think they are all buddy buddy with the Andals? The enemy of my enemy is my friend. The Weirwood blood raven is part of has armored itself in ice, as if for war.

It is Quaithe that is helping Dany the fire aspect not Bloodraven he is helping a Stark, the north. One in the south one in the north. Remember all those bodies Bran saw? The polarities are right there. Why would BR want Bran why is he being so inactive in stopping the Others? It's not really that he is an other but he may be seeking to use them. Bran as well, BR is dying and as we know what makes a Greenseer is his blood, you know any other Greenseers besides Bran? A young body to replace the old one, but who says he needs Bran. Train him up a little and take the body or at least try to.

Who is to say he didn't just screw over Jon. Jon's dream of fighting on the wall. It's of the future but the future is not set, shadows ever shifting morrows not yet made. Rhaego never happened did he? What does he want? What do they want? Vengeance? Power? Who knows but in Brans dream their exists a clue a parallel. The woman praying for vengeance. It's an inverse parallel of Dany at the womb of the world. The old one eyed crown was watching Dany, was the old One eyed watching this woman and what revenge did she want from the Old gods?

I wrote about this too so have a couple of others. BB's talks about the comparison in Heresy and Even Apple talks about BR making moves and controlling things. It's a game Ice vs. Fire, Quaithe vs. Bloodraven, she is trying to stop him, after all the Others moved first, and she is his inverse parallel.

Actually the children refer to the weirwoods as the old gods. Who ever said the children were still happy with man, it was man that destroyed them. The First men came and you had a war. Then they made peace, then the Others came and the children were strangely missing, the last hero searched the dead lands for years to find them. Then cam the Andels and they burned the old gods and the children. The Ghost of High heart tells us the Old gods have not forgotten what the first men did and do you think they are all buddy buddy with the Andals? The enemy of my enemy is my friend. The Weirwood blood raven is part of has armored itself in ice, as if for war.

::snip::

This is an important point. I think we've reached a very crucial point in the series where we will finally be given more insight as to what the Old Gods are really about. I think some people are not seeing the proverbial forest through the weirwood trees:)

In my "behind blue eyes" thread someone has already thrown the "Simple,The old gods fought the others" at me and I don't think it's as simple as all that.

That's a very good, very overlooked point you make that the "children were strangely missing"

I can't get passed this conundrum... Who are the others if they are not of the Old Gods????

They are of the Old Gods....therefore why is it so hard to imagine that there is way more to it than simply

X has to join Y to "fight the others"

btw, Your post are always excellent. Always.

• 9 months later...

I think that it is all about a balance between them. Both seem to be good and evil because they are gods and they smite as needed. I think that long ago in valyria the fire god overstepped this balance causing The Doom of Valyria. Now since the dragons have been gone for so long the ice god has gained too much power and tipped the scale and now it's own sort of apocalyptic event is starting in westeros with the white walkers taking over. Hopefully the newly born dragons can set things back into balance

Never heard of this before (Valyrian fire god and white walkers bit) great idea.

There needs to be balance in ice and fire.

Can't be too much fire.

Can't be too much ice.

I personally go by the theory that Daenerys represents fire and Jon represents ice.

Peace will be achieved through them and the long night (if that happens again) will come to an end.

I think the solution will be marriage. Im not a fan of Jon marrying Dany but i think thats the solution , unite ice and fire. Rhaegar knew this. So Jon marrying Dany , it will not be a Happy marriage but a necessary one. The only problem is that Jon is half Targ.

Archived