[book spoiler] Spoilers about season 3.

kevin1989

Which changes with the books are know to us?

There are some things that is already know about the next season, some are true some are speculations.

- Season 3 will get an invented storyline about the events in Kings Landing. The beginning of SoS, much things are happening outside KL but not much in KL. Therefor they have decide to expend the Tyrell scheme story line with the plot that Sansa and Tyrion are getting married because of these schemes.

- Ros is probably going to get the part that Dontos gets in the books. It suited better for the the show that someone we know from the start get this job. Probably she won't get killed in season 4 like Dontos because she probably will become a bird of Varys. Only thing that I hope that they stick with Dontos is because of the Brienne story in season 5. (Speculation)

- Orell will be a substitute for Varamyr.

- Tormund will take over the role of Styr the Magnar. He will probably take over the small role in season 4 where he will go with Jon to Mance camp instead of the the lord of bones. He will probably flee, that way his story will be intact in later books.

- the battle at Castle black won't be in season 3. the actor of Pyp will only be in one episode, so probably only that Jon will get to the wall.

- Theon will probably think that he is held captive by his own father, that way the Bolton treason can be revealed at the end of the season.

- Littlefinger is going to the Eyrie.

- vargo Hoat will be renamed Locke and instead of a member of the Brave Companion he will be a bannerman of the Boltons. Personally I'm happy he isn't bold.

- Edric Storm isn't cast so probably Stannis is going to think about giving his own daughter Shireen to the flames.

- Talisa attend the RW.

- Maybe not a change but it's confirmed that Astapor and Yunkaii will be both in the next season. Mero and Daario will having a debate what too do with Dany and her Unsullied.

• 3 weeks later...

I really wish they had chosen another name than Locke for Vargo Hoat's replacement (can't believe they're not keeping Hoat!) Locke is too familiar a name with TV viewers, ie. Lost.

Surely Dontos will still do the things that Dontos does, else why introduce him in the first place?

I will be mega-pissed if Talisa turns out to be a Lannister spy and betrays Robb at the RW. I would be even more pissed if she got Roose Bolton's "Jaime Lannister sends his regards" line and kills Robb herself. Let's hope this doesn't happen.

And while I don't really see why Dontos was axed, Ros serves no real purpose once LF leaves KL, so I can see why she would get his part. In one of the photos from the sets, Ros is seen wearing a gown generally worn by highborn ladies, suggesting that she's probably going to be another one of Sansa's handmaidens. I'm interested to see as to how Varys is related to all this. Could Ros be working for Littlefinger and spying on him for Varys at the same time? If she does get killed like Dontos, I guess they could explain it as Littlefinger finding about her spying for Varys.

Oh, and in regards to Edric Storm, they could easily introduce him as one of Robert's bastards that escaped the Lannister purge. Stannis does jackshit this season, and having him decide on whether or not to kill the boy could be his primary arc for this season. I think having him consider burning Shireen is a step too far, and will definitely cause viewers to be less likely to root for him when he does save the Wall in Season 4. Let's hope the show doesn't do things that way.

I really wish they had chosen another name than Locke for Vargo Hoat's replacement (can't believe they're not keeping Hoat!) Locke is too familiar a name with TV viewers, ie. Lost.

Surely Dontos will still do the things that Dontos does, else why introduce him in the first place?

I think the reason he was introduced was so that Sansa could piss of Joffery on his name day.

He's been essentially cut from the show. The vast majority of his scenes were left on the cutting room floor in S2 and the actor is not appearing in S3. The only significant scene he appeared in from S2 was in the first episode which was a fairly important one for Sansa and Joffrey so could probably not be dumped. There's no definitive word as to why this has happened but it could be a variety of things (they took a look at the actor's performance and didn't like what they saw, they changed their mind about how they wanted that storyline to progress etc).

In any case, he's not continuing and LF approaching Sansa directly to let her know he was going to help her in the S2 finale was a clear signal of this. LF is going to be leaving King's Landing at some point this season because we know that Lysa and Robin Arryn have shot scenes and Tyrion will become Master of Coin as in the books. That would lend most to deduce that he's going to put some kind of go-between for he and Sansa in the meantime to essentially play the "Dontos" role. Many are speculating that this will be Ros because it's a character the audience already knows, she's in his employ and there are scenes that have been shot showing LF leading Ros down to a waterside meeting with Sansa and Shae. This scene of course could be a number of things but it lends credence to that particular theory.

Looking ahead, Ros being approached by Varys in the S2 finale to work as a spy for him with LF might lead to a proper conclusion in S4 where Ros could help Sansa escape and then be "Dontosed" by LF so he can both tie up loose ends and also reveal to her that he was aware of her working for Varys as well and punish her for it. That's looking pretty far ahead but it's the best conclusion I could come up with.

Ros getting offed is a great conclusion, I look forward to that happening. <cue disappointment as they keep her on as some reincarnation of yet another character>

Thanks for the background on the filming, I didn't keep up with what was happening this season.

Looking ahead, Ros being approached by Varys in the S2 finale to work as a spy for him with LF might lead to a proper conclusion in S4 where Ros could help Sansa escape and then be "Dontosed" by LF so he can both tie up loose ends and also reveal to her that he was aware of her working for Varys as well and punish her for it. That's looking pretty far ahead but it's the best conclusion I could come up with.

I completely agree with this, but I keep wondering why the show is teasing the idea of Varys vs LF. Both men dislike and distrust each other, but that's about it. Both men have different agendas that really don't conflict with one another. In fact, Littlefinger has done Varys a massive favour by engineering a civil war and making the realm weak and vulnerable for an Aegon invasion. I understand Martin has told the producers a couple of major plot points for the end of the series. Could Varys and Littlefinger be part of that? Idk.

I completely agree with this, but I keep wondering why the show is teasing the idea of Varys vs LF. Both men dislike and distrust each other, but that's about it. Both men have different agendas that really don't conflict with one another. In fact, Littlefinger has done Varys a massive favour by engineering a civil war and making the realm weak and vulnerable for an Aegon invasion. I understand Martin has told the producers a couple of major plot points for the end of the series. Could Varys and Littlefinger be part of that? Idk.

Yeah, not entirely sure where they're going with that development. I know the show has certainly emphasized the rivalry between Varys and LF far more than the book has. I'm unsure how much info Ros would have for Varys and what exactly he'd do with this information regardless.

I will be mega-pissed if Talisa turns out to be a Lannister spy and betrays Robb at the RW. I would be even more pissed if she got Roose Bolton's "Jaime Lannister sends his regards" line and kills Robb herself. Let's hope this doesn't happen.

Unlike many book-readers, I have no problem with Talisa in the slightest. She's a far more interesting character than Jeyne Westerling. I don't even have a problem with her being at the RW.

However if THAT happens, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't watch the show again. It's fairly obvious she'll be there so it's probably easiest if she just dies. Either that or she serves as a replacement Jeyne Poole later. Making her turn on Robb would be too big a change to forgive. The RW is arguably the most iconic moment of the whole series and if anything should be strictly canon, it's that.

Unlike many book-readers, I have no problem with Talisa in the slightest. She's a far more interesting character than Jeyne Westerling. I don't even have a problem with her being at the RW.

However if THAT happens, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't watch the show again. It's fairly obvious she'll be there so it's probably easiest if she just dies. Either that or she serves as a replacement Jeyne Poole later. Making her turn on Robb would be too big a change to forgive. The RW is arguably the most iconic moment of the whole series and if anything should be strictly canon, it's that.

I agree. I'm a huge fan and staunch defender of the show, but having Talisa kill Robb would be something even I wouldn't dare justify. The fact that Bolton becomes Warden of the North after killing Robb only makes the betrayal that much worse. But judging by the love Benioff and Weiss have for the scene, what with it being their main inspiration for making the show, I don't think that they'll stray too far from the book.

New spoiler about Melisandre/ edric storm/ Gendry:

In the show Mellisandre is going to get Gendry from the brotherhood. Gendry will have the role of Edric storm in the show.

Where is the proof for this? I keep seeing this speculated but no one actually says where they learned the idea besides "it just make sense".

I don't really have much of a problem with Talisa either, my issue is more with the fact that Robb chose to marry her without the "benefit" of being wracked by grief over Bran and Rickon - neither Robb nor Catelyn got the news before the end of Season 2 that Bran and Rickon were dead which at least in the case of Robb, undercut some of his "reasoning" for his poor decision (whereas Catelyn on the other hand I think was given better reasons for loosing Jaimie - they were in a battle camp and she had no way of keeping Karstark from killing him unlike at Riverrun where he was in a cell and under guard).

That said I don't like the idea of Talisa being at the RW, in part for the reasons why Jayne was kept away (it would be an insult to Walder and the Queen shouldn't be in danger) and also because it would pretty much kill the Robb's heir/escaped Jayne theory which I happen to like b/c it means that Tywin really didn't get what he wanted out of the RW if in fact Jayne escaped with the Blackfish and is pregnant.

While I supposed they might use her as a replacement fake Arya - I completely disagree with the idea that they would allow Talisa to remain pregnant with Robb's heir while marrying her off to Ramsey. If she is used in that way, she'll be forced to lose any baby of Robb's she might be carrying.

And as for the idea that she kills Robb...No. Full stop, just No. That blame has to lie with Bolton and Walder Frey and if anyone other than Roose drives a dagger into Robb the showrunners will have failed at their adaptation of the RW.

i call bullshit.

edit: just saw in the new trailer melisandre and thoros of myr together -_-

As you stated, the proof is in the No Mercy trailer. Melisandre and Thoros of Myr are together.

But this doesn't mean that she will get Gendry, she will probably just get some leeches with his blood. I don't see Thoros and Beric giving up Gendry.

As you stated, the proof is in the No Mercy trailer. Melisandre and Thoros of Myr are together.

But this doesn't mean that she will get Gendry, she will probably just get some leeches with his blood. I don't see Thoros and Beric giving up Gendry.

I really doubt she would travel all the way there just to take some of his blood.

I really doubt she would travel all the way there just to take some of his blood.

I'm not saying that she is just going there to take some blood. She wants Gendy to come with her. But we can expect that Thoros or Beric will be happy to help her with giving up some leeches, but still wanted to keep Gendry. It's not about what she wants, it about what Thoros and Beric wants.

I'd be happy to see Gendry go with Mel, and it would make sense from a TV perspective.

Think about it - after Arya leaves the BwB we don't see Gendry again until near the end of AFFC - so probably season 6.

If he goes with Stannis he could end up joining the Night's Watch, which could be cool (although there's the Jon Snow issue of how to handle the fact that Gendry knows Arya is alive and that fakeArya is fake).

Archived