vikings! on the history channel? what the hell?

MercenaryChef

It's a saga (which is historical in all it's versions), the saga of Ragnar Lodbrok, who is not a historical figure but a mythological one. I am sure a lot of the details are historically accurate to please the history interested but since there is not a set time scope for when in history this is supposed to be I guess they can wing it pretty much.

"Vikings" were not one people, and not in the exact same culture or state of developement, nor a set time, so they have room to wiggle. Calling the series Vikings in the first place is somewhat misleading I think.

Fun fact: Viking only means a person who lives at the coast, in a "vik" (bay).

What I meant about the term 'viking' is that is what the word means, not what people have put into it later on. The word is in use in some places in the North. Icelandic Reykjavíkingar still call themselves that for example. But afaik the origin of the word is the activity of going seafaring = "fara i víking" and did not refer to a person or people at all.

there is an etymology for the names of most ethnic groups. that does not mean that the term (in english) does not refer to the people we use it to mean

Well it's on history channel... And historical accuracy isn't that big problem, inconsistent writing and weak characters are worse. First part was best in this regard.

I'm not saying it's that bad (and I'll certainly continue watching it), but it has much greater potential. Acting is good, I like scenery and music, but the writing MUST improve.

Well, the History channel also runs Ancient Aliens and had the whole Hatfields and McCoys deal (dramatized).

But, all of that said, I'm totally on board with the writing. I can't really my finger on why it feels a tad bit . . . what's the word . . . predictable? I'm still enjoying it, but I'm not getting a lot of depth in these characters, not yet. Hmmm....

I was always surprised, as a Swede, whenever turning on the History Channel to discover that for a time all they seemed interested in was WWII. Though this was some years ago, from what I understand they have turned their attention to truckers and whatnot.. In any case this seems like a nice break!

there is an etymology for the names of most ethnic groups. that does not mean that the term (in english) does not refer to the people we use it to mean

I must have worded this poorly seeing the reactions to what I said. I said it as a fun fact, because I thought it could be fun to know for those interested in vikings and since some of the words in our languages is the same today as it was then. If you were talking about any other people that I was interested in I'm sure I would like to know bits like this.

The definition of vikings is practically the same here, but we also know that the peoples here were more than just vikings.

From what some of the posters said, I expected the third episode to really suck. But I thought it was about as good as the first two. There are still a couple of scenes that I thought were poorly done. The scene were they invite the priest to bed is stupid. Would Earl Heraldson really be able to take whatever he wants from Ragnar? It doesn't seem to mesh with what I know about Vikings. I mean, it is Ragnar's ship and he did everything on his own.

From what some of the posters said, I expected the third episode to really suck. But I thought it was about as good as the first two. There are still a couple of scenes that I thought were poorly done. The scene were they invite the priest to bed is stupid. Would Earl Heraldson really be able to take whatever he wants from Ragnar? It doesn't seem to mesh with what I know about Vikings. I mean, it is Ragnar's ship and he did everything on his own.

Yeah that bothers me as well. It was my understanding they were a wolf-pack type society. I'm confused as to why Ragnar would lay down for the Earl. When the Earl's men popped out you'd think Ragnar and his men, who were all armed, would have been less intimidated. Is it all just for the sake of drama? Because if so, meh.

I'm no authority on Vikings, though. It is entirely possible I don't know shit.

The earl is really starting to bother me, and not in the "this guy is a good character but evil motherfucker" way. More the "this guy seems to be evil just for the sake of being evil and is by far the least interesting part of the show" way.

I'll watch for a few more episodes at least to see if some other dynamic interests me, but when even secondary characters obviously aren't intimidated by Earl Whiplash yet they still take shit from him, it grows boring to me.

U

Yes, earl is acting more of an medieval feudal lord than Viking chieftain.I thought 2nd and 3rd op were weak,but if it pleases you the 4th one is much better.

Too bad they didn't have more extras in battle scene, I thought it was quite well done and realistic (shield wall and all that, not just running around and swinging swords wildly, as I expected). I like the fact that we saw King of Northumbria and Saxon nobility, hopefully they will play a larger role in later episodes, so that it won't be just about Vikings.

Although it still had some weaker parts

- like when Lagertha tried to save that Saxon woman. I mean seriously? Girl you are supposed to be a VIKING, rape is part of the whole experience. It would be funny, if she found her hubby doing the same. I wonder what would she do in such case.

Advice to all potential candidates for vikinging - don't take your women with you, they spoil all the fun.

- or the pathetically botched assassination attempt. Advice to earl this time - if you want to do something like that, make sure that it will succeed.

Would Earl Heraldson really be able to take whatever he wants from Ragnar? It doesn't seem to mesh with what I know about Vikings. I mean, it is Ragnar's ship and he did everything on his own.

Could be something to do with oaths. Northmen took them fairly seriously and if Ragnar is one of his warriors who serves on his ships I'd assume he has given one to the Earl, so to run off on your own raid after giving an oath to follow Heraldson might be reason enough for the Earl to demand the compensation of the loot.

Could be something to do with oaths. Northmen took them fairly seriously and if Ragnar is one of his warriors who serves on his ships I'd assume he has given one to the Earl, so to run off on your own raid after giving an oath to follow Heraldson might be reason enough for the Earl to demand the compensation of the loot.

Sure, but I think those oaths in Norse societies were not so one sided as shown in series. Chieftain had certain obligations to his "subjects" as well, and he doesn't seem very good in fulfilling them.

Plus it is a really stupid thing to do (take all the treasure for yourself). Now every crew is going to come back and lie about how much plunder they got because assface will just take it all otherwise. Not something to really inspire loyalty either, unless you want a knife sticking out your back.

The plunder I can sort of see for "disobeying" but not his ship too.

Episode 4 spoilers

Good to see a battle with some semblance of a shield wall for once. Nice even to see some logic and restraint among the fighters - after Rollo pushes back the saxon line and kills a couple blokes he instantly gets back behind his own line rather than trying to go all god of war on them.

And god-dammit Kulich! why can't you last a bit longer! Though no-where at any point did I get any indication that Cnut was the Earl's brother or that the other big Viking was Kulich's son, though it means size runs in the family, reminds me of the Umber's slightly.

Have to agree on the Earl acting weird now. Instead of a hall burning, which would make sense, they hope to send about 7 unarmoured guys into a hall filled with drunk proven warriors and hope to kill their boss

Yeah the whole Earl fiasco is just really poorly concieved.

The fight on the beach was very well done. Great show of the periods tactics. Between tbe Saxon's and the Viking's you really got a sense of an unblooded, fairly trained reserve vs. an elite, highly organized and battle-tested force.

The Earl and his whole camp (I do NOT understand why that little hobbit is allowed to sneer and act a fool in a warrior-caste society. Everytime he opens his mouth and someone doesn't immediately kick his teeth in I get really frustrated) are dragging the show down, but the dude playing Ragnar is fun to watch and the chick playing his wife is sexy as hell so I'll keep watching.

How does this week behind shit work. And, err...why? Bothersome...

I dunno. The preview after the first episode appeared to spoil the whole season.

This. Does no one at the History Channel know how to do a preview/teaser without revealing every event of the season?

Archived